Finn

Lulu&Finn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wish I had normal cats haha. Finn (the kitten) had distemper and rabies shots yesterday. One in front leg one in rear. He didn’t want to get up today, he’s normally a nut job.

He got up and limped all the way downstairs. I picked him up and he made a pathetic noise I’ve never heard him make He ate half of his wet food, pooped and went to sleep. Woke up a couple of hours later and finished wet food then peed now sleeping again.
Is this normal? The vet’s office said it can be and made an appt for tomorrow if he’s not better.

I’m just looking for other stories and hoping it’s common.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes that can happen after being vaccinated. He will probably be out of sorts for a couple days and it should be nothing to worry about, but there's nothing wrong with having your vet check him over just in case it's something else.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lulu&Finn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The cost is so outrageous I hate to do that if it’s a common thing. He was in there for three minutes yesterday and my phone rang. All done. $168 please.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cost is so outrageous I hate to do that if it’s a common thing. He was in there for three minutes yesterday and my phone rang. All done. $168 please.
What the hell? $168 just for an exam? If that's the case you should look for a new vet.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it is normal. Mine will mope around for a day or two depending on how many shots they got. Sounds like everything else is normal so I wouldn't worry too much.

Lulu&Finn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, it is normal. Mine will mope around for a day or two depending on how many shots they got. Sounds like everything else is normal so I wouldn't worry too much.
Have you seen limping?

Lulu&Finn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The Vaccines are why, an exam alone shouldn't cost much more than $30-$40. You can always call and ask how much an exam would be.
I have the breakdown on the bill. I’ll look when I get up, both cats are on me. ❤ Their exams are at least $65 I think.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I plan to take mine to a low cost clinic nearby for vaccine and wellness checks. I will save the actual vet for serious illness/injury visits. I paid about what you did at the low cost clinic for a spay, a neuter, and 4 vaccines (2 per cat).

Vets charge ridiculous amounts of money because they know some people don't have other options. I would have thought low cost clincs and online places like Chewy and 1-800-PetMeds would make the vets lower their prices some. Nope.

Lulu&Finn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The money I have spent...

Our adoption fee at the shelter went up to $350. I thought $275 was a lot (that was Lulu’s charge last year). But Finn was neutered and they had done a lot of vaccines.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I plan to take mine to a low cost clinic nearby for vaccine and wellness checks. I will save the actual vet for serious illness/injury visits. I paid about what you did at the low cost clinic for a spay, a neuter, and 4 vaccines (2 per cat).

Vets charge ridiculous amounts of money because they know some people don't have other options. I would have thought low cost clincs and online places like Chewy and 1-800-PetMeds would make the vets lower their prices some. Nope.
Part of it is some vets will actively trash talk low cost clinics, saying they are run by hacks who botch treatments and harm animals. The VCA office I used to go to before I moved once tried to tell me places like 1-800 pet meds would sell expired medication that was relabeled and that's how they can afford the lower prices.

Also a lot of people just don't know about the low cost clinic option, they just think a vet's office is where you go for anything related to animals. It's not like the clinics can really afford to advertise so even if someone had one nearby there's no guarantee they'd even know it was there.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I do think that Finn will be okay, but as you have said, you are watching him and will return to the vet if he is not normal. Is he angry? Jamie always does his "how could you have betrayed me this way" routine when he goes to the vet.

Okay...so my vet charges about $200 to spay a cat, office visits are $50, vaccines about the same, consultation, no one talks to you around here for $200, Home Again same, any other amenities are extra. But I am impressed, whoever these people are in MA they are really outrunning my LA vets and I did not think that was possible. I go to three different places and all are comparable to each other.

I don't think that all lower cost vets are hacks and everyone has to use their own judgment. My very high priced owner of the practice vet is the one who shows up at the low cost rabies clinic and give all the shots when they are conducted in various parts of town.

Lulu&Finn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He has progressively gotten better during the day. He is not mad he is the sweetest cat I’ve ever had. Loves belly rubs!

He is favoring them leg a bit but was his usually nutty self for dinner and tried to play with Lulu. But then his leg would hurt.