Finicky Pill-taker

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Mickey (12 years) was diagnosed last March with heart failure. Long story, but it was found kind of by accident, and not very far advanced.

He was put on 3 medications, and has done extremely well, gained weight, no sign of kidney issues (from meds).

In the beginning, he took his little pills in Greenies pill pockets. Doesn't like chicken, but the salmon is acceptable. Pilling him myself stressed both of us terribly.

Problem: he is growing tired of the pill pockets, and sometimes refuses them, even when I mask them with a couple other treats. It's really annoying that there are only two flavors for cats. Where is turkey? Beef? Are there any similar products out there - or do the folks at Greenies have a corner on the market?

Does anyone have any tips or tricks that have been successful with getting pills in cats, aside from manually pilling them?

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I use empty capsules like dasquin type and put pills inside then coat with butter and use a pill buster/popper with syringe of water.

Compounded meds taste horrible-easier to put in small capsule and pill pop it down.

some people roll in cheese. butter. deli meat. etc.