Finicky Kittens?

sweettuxies Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 2 sibling, 9 month old rescue kittens Sammy & Sadie are perplexing me with their eating habits!

I've had them since they were 3 months old and they were on not the best quality food when I adopted them and since then I have tried just about every kitten good to high quality canned food on the market and they wont eat any of them and the three brands they do (or did) eat, they start off very enthusiastically but then only after for 2-3 months and then completely stop. I even tried adding dried chicken flakes with the last brand but eventually, they stopped eating it even with the chicken added. They're now on another brand and after 2-ish months, they are hardly eating that at all now.....I just bought about 60 cans.... sigh.

Any thoughts on why they are being so finicky especially after being so enthusiastic with the food at first? Typical cattitude towards food? :)

My girl is not as finicky as her brother and she did come to us with diarrhea and after a vet check up and switching the food that they were on at the rescue that has long gone away. I talked to our vet about it and he said not to keep changing their food. Right now they are on a "All life stages food" (Purina True Instinct) should I switch to adult food and retry the adult formula of the kitten brands I've already tried? I'm considering just trying fancy feast or Friskies because they seem to be pretty popular and they have a lot of varieties and texture.

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Some cats like variety. One of mine won't eat the same thing twice in a row, so he gets a different canned food for every meal each day, then the next day he might get a repeat at one of the meals from the day before. When I say different, I mean one meal might be Natural Balance Catatouie, then one might be Nutro Natural Choice Turkey and Salmon, then one might be Weruva, then one might be Natural Balance Land and Sea, etc. (Switching up canned food normally doesn't bother cats, but switching up dry food does. ) At their age, they should be able to move to adult food now with no problems.

Also, the foods that they have "rejected" might be wonderful for them again in just a few days :wink: They're weird that way. One day my guy might walk away from one of his meals, they 2 days later he'll act like it's the best meal ever :lol: You just never know. Plus they might like different textures and flavors on different days too. And it's odd, everyone says that Fancy Feast is like kitty crack, but my two won't touch it.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats like Friskies Shreds, Fancy Feast Grilled and Sliced, and Purina One in Gravy or Sauce the best. Also Sheba cuts. For dry food, they prefer Purina.