Finicky eater won't eat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Susanna72

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oliver pretty much begs for Churus all the time. I put down other food and he turns up his nose. Also have other food in his feeder. Might lick at it in the middle ofSlurps up Churus though. He has diarrhea. I tried some pumpkin but he stopped eating that this morning. This all Churu diet is turning him into a little stinky boy. Can’t wait to talk to oncologist tomorrow.

marshmallow2013

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Poor baby, but it‘s good to hear he is eating something. Churus is still much better than the greenies. I had a cat super picky cat just like your Oliver. Your Oliver is adorable. I hope all goes well for him tomorrow.

kakers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you tried putting the churu on top of the food? He may just lick it off but sometimes it's enough to get the cat eating the food underneath! I had a cat who when his appetite was really struggling would eat food if I put crunchy treats in it. Sometimes he ate the treats other times he'd eat the food and leave the treats behind! Cats are more smell motivated than taste motivated so sometimes just getting the food to smell more like something they like better does the trick.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried putting the churu on top of the food? He may just lick it off but sometimes it's enough to get the cat eating the food underneath! I had a cat who when his appetite was really struggling would eat food if I put crunchy treats in it. Sometimes he ate the treats other times he'd eat the food and leave the treats behind! Cats are more smell motivated than taste motivated so sometimes just getting the food to smell more like something they like better does the trick.
The same for our cats: sometimes weird combinations of foods and treats will get them to eat something they don't especially want!

Susanna72 Susanna72 , fingers crossed for tomorrow's appointment with the oncologist. I hope they can help you get Oliver back on track.

Susanna72

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Duh. Why didn’t I think of that? That’s a great idea! Thanks!

Susanna72

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oliver had his first dose of Vincristine today. I went with the CHOP protocol which lasts 15 weeks. There was some confusion and my discharge says I elected to do the CCNU which is oral med at home every month, but they said they gave him the right drug today. They said the cancer is behaving aggressively and appears to be in bone marrow based on numbers, so I opted for the more aggressive approach. However, he won’t come out of his carrier. I’m leaving him be, but if this makes him really ill, I might change course. I don’t want him to suffer. His next appointment is next Thursday for follow up bloodwork and another drug.

I appreciate all the feedback from those of you who have gone through this. I hope I’m doing the right thing for him.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If he has side effects, there may be things that can be done for them. Just keep that in mind. It's possible he has nausea today, so an anti-emetic may be in order (or a stronger one if he's already on one, etc.

So the CHOP protocol is once a week for 15 weeks?

Susanna72

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If he has side effects, there may be things that can be done for them. Just keep that in mind. It's possible he has nausea today, so an anti-emetic may be in order (or a stronger one if he's already on one, etc.

So the CHOP protocol is once a week for 15 weeks?
Yes. Does that sound normal to you?

Susanna72

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oliver doesn’t want to eat or move this morning. I assume that’s normal?

Susanna72

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He still doesn’t want to eat or drink so I’m feeding him with a syringe. I would think chemo effects would wear off after 36 hours. I’m worried this cancer is too far gone and he’s just too frail.

marshmallow2013

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m very sorry to hear he’s not eating. Please let the vet know if you haven’t done it already. Can you offer him some tuna water? When my cat had cancer, tuna water was the only thing he would lick.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree to make sure the oncologist is aware of how he is reacting. It's possible he may need a different drug.

Susanna72

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m very sorry to hear he’s not eating. Please let the vet know if you haven’t done it already. Can you offer him some tuna water? When my cat had cancer, tuna water was the only thing he would lick.
The oncologist isn’t there until Monday, but I think I’ll call the ER vet tomorrow. I just don’t want to put him through another hospital stay. He has lost so much weight. Thank you for mentioning tuna water! He likes the Friskies lil’ soups that are a creamy tuna soup. I just put some in front of him and he drank a bit! First interest in food since his chemo on Thursday.

Still on steroid, Zofran and appetite stimulant.