Finicky eater won't eat

kakers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awww poor sweet kitty! I'm glad he's had some more tuna chicken soup! I'd prioritize keeping him as hydrated as possible, often that can perk them up and increase their appetite so even if it's gotta be tuna juice that helps! There's a bone broth that's made for cats now from Nacho brand though it doesn't come in tuna (chicken, turkey, or beef.) Sometimes when I have a sick kitty ill mix that in with water to encourage more drinking, same concept works with tuna juice really.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Susanna72

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all. I took Oliver to the vet this morning. I also talked to oncologist and she said "we threw the strongest chemo drug we have at him. If he is still in decline, I think it might be time to let him go. We tried." My regular vet agreed. Between the anemia and the cancer being so aggressive, in his bone marrow, and not eating/drinking enough, it was just too much for his little body. He's gotten so skinny and weak over the past few weeks. He was 12 and I've had him since he was a kitten and I am utterly heartbroken. 💔

Thank you to everyone for your support and advice over the past few weeks. You've been a great help.

marshmallow2013

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am very sorry to hear this sad news. No words can take your heartache away. You took such great care of your baby boy. My cat was the same age when I had to let him go. It is the hardest thing to go through, but you let his spirit free. You were by his side until the end. He will always love you. My deepest condolences for your beautiful Oliver.❤

Susanna72

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am very sorry to hear this sad news. No words can take your heartache away. You took such great care of your baby boy. My cat was the same age when I had to let him go. It is the hardest thing to go through, but you let his spirit free. You were by his side until the end. He will always love you. My deepest condolences for your beautiful Oliver.❤
I’m grateful I got to hold him as he passed. I spent the weekend cuddling with him but I don’t want to remember him that way. I have over 800 pics and videos and I’m just watching those and clinging to my memories.

It really made me feel better to hear the oncologist say it was the right decision. I was really worried about giving up, but he was just so miserable. The house is so empty without him.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sometimes it helps to write about him and share some of those pictures in our Crossing the Bridge Forum, Of course, you will probably cry like a baby while doing it, but it may also help. I know it helped me when I did it for my soul cat Sven, and then again for my beloved Callie.

Again, my sympathies.

kakers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So very sorry to hear this. We lost one of ours not long ago ultimately having to make the same decision. I was hopeful Oliver would pull through but it does sound like you made the right decision. He was clearly a very loved kitty and had a lucky, happy life with you.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am very sorry to hear this news, Susanna72 Susanna72 . I'm glad you were able to be with Oliver and that you and he had such understanding vets. I remember that horrible feeling of not wanting to give up yet knowing that our cat was miserable.

Sending you my sympathies and very best wishes -- Oliver was lucky to have you looking out for him.

Susanna72

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sometimes it helps to write about him and share some of those pictures in our Crossing the Bridge Forum, Of course, you will probably cry like a baby while doing it, but it may also help. I know it helped me when I did it for my soul cat Sven, and then again for my beloved Callie.

Again, my sympathies.
Thank you, I am going to do that. It's amazing how cats have such distinct personalities and there will only be one Oliver. No one could ever replace him. I miss him so much I can't stand it.