Finally adopted

jessicac05

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

We adopted not one cat but 2 today.  They are brothers.  One is a grey tabby and the other is a regular striped tabby.  They seem to be adjusting well so far.  They like to hang around me.  I am wondering if there is anything we can do to make their adjustment to our household smoother?  We have a dog, a rabbit, a bird, and a 6 year old daughter.  Thanks!

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Congratulations on your new family members!  
 Have you named them yet?  And do you have photos?  

Usually when new cats come home, it's wise to give them a separate room so they have an area where they feel safe.  It will take them awhile to feel secure in their new home.  When you adopt siblings, sometimes it's easier though - do yours have the run of the house right now?   When I adopted siblings Paul and Chula, they made themselves at home right away but every situation is different.

Here's an article that addresses some of the issues that might come up.
[article="32804"]How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home  [/article]
The following articles discussing cat and dog introductions should be helpful as well:
[article="29682"]Introducing Cats To Dogs  [/article][article="29827"]Caring For Cats And Dogs  [/article]
Your daughter is probably old enough to learn how to treat her new feline family members but it is always a good idea to keep an eye on everyone when they are together, especially while the cats are still getting used to their new home.  They could scratch or bite if your daughter is unintentionally rough with them.  Some cats will tolerate behavior from children they wouldn't tolerate from adults, but it's still best to supervise interactions for awhile.

In terms of your rabbit, make sure her cage is cat proof and only let her have floor time when the cats are not around, until you know how the cats respond to her.  I once had a big New Zealand white rabbit who was the same size as my cats but even so I still had to keep them apart because one of the cats persisted in seeing our rabbit as prey, despite her size.

Have fun with your new kitties!  

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

jessicac05

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They are about 1 year old.  I will try to post pictures later.  They really are beautiful cats.  I have named them Smokey or Smoke and Tom.  Does anyone know if male cats grow past the age of 1?  My thoughts are they are not done growing yet.  Thanks!