Fighting or playing?

Destp113

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a cat who is about 3 years old maybe older named Binx. He is very calm but can be very playful at times.
In November we adopted another cat named Ollie who is a year and a half. Ollie has TONS of energy. We have gotten all sorts of toys and try to play with him often to tire him out but what he is most interested in is Binx.
They play A LOT but 99% of the time it is initiated by Ollie. The only reason I consider it playing is because there is no hissing and no visible Injuries besides some occasional minor scratches.
What I am concerned about is if Ollie is really playing or just picking on Binx. Often times Binx would just be laying down and Ollie would go to him and begin biting his back and neck and sometimes belly. This would lead to them play fighting (I think) but Binx always tried to run away and Ollie would jump on things that are above Binx and pounce on him and begin biting his neck. Sometimes Binx would not move and begin meowing which is when I’d come and break them up.
These are my first cats and I’m not sure if this is normal cat play or aggression on Ollies end. What could I do to prevent this and stop it from getting worse?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are they both neutered, if not, biting the back of the neck is mating behavior. Or Ollie trying to be dominant if they both are. Binx hopefully will stand up for himself, they have really not been together long in a cat's world. Ollie is still displaying kitten energy, that will slow down as he ages. I would continue doing exactly what you are doing, rescue Binx when he is being mauled. i clap my hands now or stomp my feet to break up mine. I have one bully that enjoys mauling the other two, though mama doesn't stand for it, she screams and slaps. Poor Yammy lays there and cries!

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
At a year and a half, he's still got a BUNCH of his kitten behaviors, which include the constant playing/jumping/biting. You are right to break it up when someone yelps (if the yelp doesn't stop it).

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. For those of us who've never had 2 cats at the same time before, it can be hard to distinguish between playing and fighting. Generally, if there's no fur flying, or bloodshed, and that neither cat seems scared or stressed, then it is probably play. Of course an older cat can find play annoying, so that could be the case between Ollie and Binx.

If you can take a video and post it here (via youtube maybe) it might be easier to tell whether it's play or not.

Also, TCS has this article Are My Cats Fighting Or Playing? – TheCatSite Articles which has pictures and videos that might be helpful.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1 1/2 yr olds can be a major PITA to other cats. Its totally normal for the older cat to not want to play all the time, to make protests noises, swat or run off. And yes, sometimes just lay there while getting play-bit. It doesn't sound like the older cat is too stressed by it, so not a great problem in the scheme of things. Just distract/gently interrupt when you notice the older cat getting meaningfully distressed.