Fighting kittens vying for 'Top cat'

alic23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 13 week female kitten Tinkerbell and new 9 week male kitten Shadowfax are not getting on. Slow intros have been tried over 2 weeks and face to face confrontations have been exhausting. Tinkerbell is the resident kitten and although she is the vocal hissy and growly one she bats Shadowfax lightly and seems like she wants to assert her authority only for Shadowfax, even though he is younger, he is clumsy and heavy handed and keeps doing full on body attacks at her. Which ensues a bit of a tussle and ends with Tinkerbell screaming. I don't think there are serious injuries but i worry as Shadowfax has really big sharp claws. (Which we have tried to trim)

I've been assured these are normal kitten fights which sort themselves out, but it's putting them under a lot of stress and although they aren't full on fights it definitely is not play fighting.

What to do? Toys don't work by the way as they are so intent on chasing each other but no one will back down!!

the3rdname

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You'd be surprised at how rough kittens can play!  Sometimes one is a roughhouser and the other prefers less intense physical play, and that's when you've got a problem.  

By the way, two weeks isn't necessarily enough time for introductions.  You can always separate and try a slower intro.  

If Tinkerbell is an equal participant- you haven't got a bully/victim dynamic- and they're chasing each other around, that sounds less like aggression and more like Shadowfax has excessive energy to burn.  I get it because I have two young boys who flip each other around like rag dolls and their sister despises it when they try to inflict the same treatment on her.  I have had to intervene more times than I can count because sweet, docile little Rory is being "attacked" by a brother playing at Wrestlemania.  It happens less frequently these days (they do eventually settle down a bit and start respecting the rules), but kittenhood was a trying time for all.  

Cats need to hunt, it's a physical and psychological need (not a desire, a need), and Shadowfax will continue hunting his quarry with much exuberance until he's given an attractive alternative.  Da Bird, Cat Catcher, Neko Flies, and similar string toys (please always place string toys out of reach after play) really get them going!  Get him jumping and zooming around, use cat trees and furniture to get him zooming up and down, and aim for two 15 minute sessions a day (at the very least, while he's a hyperactive kitten).  He'll calm down if he gets to redirect that energy elsewhere.

Kittens are nuts!  They require so much time and attention, but the good news is that they do eventually grow up and require a bit less of your precious energy.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alic23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks @the3rdname  just to update you, think we have realised she yelps particularly when he tries biting her behind or hind legs, and the aggression is now a lot more controlled.  They love da bird and flying frenzy and also love chasing each other all over the house but they have calmed down a little.  Even sleeping and grooming each other!

All in all getting along much better it can still get a little heated at times but we monitor it and are more relaxed which hopefully makes them more relaxed too!