Fic Would Like Some Opinions Please.

MittenMeg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Raiden recently had a complete urinary blockage. He got all fixed up at the ER vet this past weekend (been home since Sunday). Today he started to have blood in his urine two hours before his check up at our local vet. He ended up having a lot of bright red blood mixed with clots in his cat carrier to the vet and at the vet. My vet suggested we do the PU surgery to prevent further blocks. Luckily we are close to MSU and a Blue Pearl that does the surgery. However, the vet said the PU surgery won't help his FIC and even after the surgery he will need to be on a kidney diet and medication for stress daily. At this point, I'm at a loss. Do I do the surgery and maybe he will be okay or euthanization? That's basically the options I got from my vet. The blood in his urine is terrifying and I'm constantly watching for urine (which he's still producing). I just don't know what to do at this point and don't really know the effects of the PU surgery for a cat with FIC. Any information would be appreciated. Thank you.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Most of these surgeries go very, very well. It is rare for a cat to have any serious difficulty. If it finanically feasible for you, I'd have no hesitation in recommending it. Yes, he will need a specialized diet and anti stress medications, but even with those he can certainly live a long and happy life. Don't give up on him too soon. If your vet thought that his quality of life would be significantly diminished, he would have told you that upfront.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MittenMeg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Most of these surgeries go very, very well. It is rare for a cat to have any serious difficulty. If it finanically feasible for you, I'd have no hesitation in recommending it. Yes, he will need a specialized diet and anti stress medications, but even with those he can certainly live a long and happy life. Don't give up on him too soon. If your vet thought that his quality of life would be significantly diminished, he would have told you that upfront.
The vet just made it seem like even with the surgery his life will be difficult to manage. So I just don't know. We are probably going to do the surgery on Monday. I most definitely don't want to give up on him. Is it normal to have bloody urine with FIC and it not be a big concern? I'd this a disease that has "flare ups"?

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry this is happening. =(
I am unfamiliar with some of his issues, but with the blockages and urinary problems, what type of diet (dry, wet/canned) is he on?

MittenMeg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so sorry this is happening. =(
I am unfamiliar with some of his issues, but with the blockages and urinary problems, what type of diet (dry, wet/canned) is he on?
Before all of this he was on dry food (Fromm). After the blockage I switched him to moist. The ER vet gave me Hills C/D? it's the urinary one. Once I went to my local vet we got Royal Canine SO. So currently he's getting the Royal Canine SO moist. I add about 2-4 tablespoons of water with it as well.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Blood in the urine (hematuria) is very common in cats with FIC. In fact, a pinkish tinge is often the first sign of a flare-up. You can expect these flare-ups to happen occasionally, but the biggest trigger is stress.

There are medications for that, or (if the vet says there are no interactions with prescribed meds) you can try giving him 1-3 teaspoonfuls of chamomile tea (chilled) up to 3 times a day, via syringe. It is gently calming, and does not sedate. DO use commerical tea bags from your grocery store, as those are all the German variety, and safe for cats in those dosages. The most common variety in gardens is English, which is toxic to cats.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
I can't figure out what FIC is. Can someone explain?

Scroll through other threads about cats who had PU surgery and/or catheters. I'm not convinced a prescription diet is necessary if someone's cat is doing well with a regular wet food and has the same problem. Your vet can suggest other options. I never went through this but prescription diets are not worth the money if another wet food works just as well. The most important thing is avoiding kibbles, which I know you are doing.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Feline Idiopathic Cystitis. Basically, it happens, but we have NO CLUE what is causing it.

MittenMeg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just wanted to give everyone an update:
Raiden has been to really well....like unbelievably well. I have not gotten the surgery and I'm not sure I will get it for him anytime soon. He doesn't care about his brand new fountain anymore which sorta stinks but I add water to his Feline Urinary SO moderate calorie canned food.

cat1967

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That is so good news. I hope that in time your sweet baby with be perfectly well. What a relief! Many kisses to you both.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm thrilled to hear that he's doing so well! No, no sense in having surgery that isn't absolutely necessary.