Ferals Think Flower Bed = Litter Box?

keeneland

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Would anyone have an idea on how to change our 4 ferals, { who have became tame } from starting to use our flower box's as their litter box's? We noticed some of our flowers turning yellow and could not figure out what was going on but now we know. It's not like they do not have a larger area to choose from either as we live on a farm. Thanks for any tips!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Yea, as ferals, they don't have fancy litter boxes like we have in our homes. They are used to soil, sand and leaves. That's why they fancy the flower bed.

Since you are on the farm and they chose the flower bed as their litter box, I'm sure you could sacrifice that little piece of real estate for them :) leave it as it is if it's ok with you, else they'll find another flower bed if you don't allow them on this one.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You could perhaps try with Kitten Attract Litter on some area you would prefer them to do their things. Or even give them a couple of litter boxes - in the beginning with a little of said Kitten Attract Litter sprinkled on... You will of course need to take care of the litter and wastes at least once everyday.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

keeneland

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You could perhaps try with Kitten Attract Litter on some area you would prefer them to do their things. Or even give them a couple of litter boxes - in the beginning with a little of said Kitten Attract Litter sprinkled on... You will of course need to take care of the litter and wastes at least once everyday.
I can't empty the litter from the flower bed without doing even more damage to the flowers that is already done. Maybe just maybe if it's not removed they will find another place that is cleaner. It has taken them several months for it to appeal to them. When we first built these beds they left them alone. These flower beds are 3 feet x 22 feet with iris, glads, roses, & lillys and we don't want them damaged.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, I meant, you could give them usual litter boxes as an alternative, with some nice natural litter in, and some Kitten Attract Litter on for enticing them into the right place. THESE litter boxes you must take care about - but with a little luck, flower beds and playground in the neigbourhood will be left alone.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Maybe you can dig up a substantial amount of earth that's already musk by the scent of their urine and poop from the current flower bed and deposit it to a place where you want the cats to go to and top up the flower bed with new soil.

Hope this way they can be diverted and your flower bed saved. Worth a try.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Black pepper sprinkled around on top of the ground, offends their nose and they will stay away. There are also many cat deterrent powders and sprays available on Amazon and at your local hardware or farm center. For areas that they insist on using, lay around clear carpet protector with the little 'nubs' up, it hurts their feet and they won't walk there. Eventually you can remove it when they find another spot. I have an acre of extensive flower beds and gardens, I have never had a problem with the ferals or my cats destroying anything. Their waste is fertilizer, their digging loosens up the soil. They catch the voles and the moles which are much more destructive to my flowers. My only problem had been with toms spraying and killing some foliage once in awhile, but since almost all my toms are now neutered that problem has almost disappeared too. With adequate watering cat urine odors quickly disappear and is diluted enough for the urine to be used by the plants. Coffee grounds is another excellent neutralizer fro cat urine, and helps with any odors and is another source of organic amendment to the soil. Cats don't like it's smell either. Vicks applied to a rag and laid around deters them too. Hope some of this helps, good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

keeneland

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the tips! Pretty sure it is the urine that is casing the yellow flowers. All cats have been through TNR and only 1 was a male.

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I put chicken wire on the soil in my planters to keep the squirrels from burying seed there.

This is relatively inexpensive and could perhaps be covered with a thin layer of mulch once the cats realize they cannot dig there anymore.