Feral Spay + Abortion + Convenia

Q2U

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We are in the middle of TNR project for an entire feral colony and we'll soon trap the colony "queen." Her name is "Midnight" and she is very good at producing babies. We believe that Midnight may be pregnant (again!). As a result of her possibly being pregnant, when she is spayed she may well have to have an abortion. As I see it, a spay is a major operation and an abortion makes it even more serious. As a result, I'd like to get antibiotic into her but she is very feral and feeding her a pill twice a day is simply not an option. So I'm thinking about paying an extra $40.00 for the spay clinic to give her a "Convenia" injection after her procedure is complete. I've read a lot of bad stuff about Convenia...but I've also read some good stuff too. It seems to me that -- as she's so feral -- something like Convenia is our only option.

Please tell me your opinion. We need all of the advice we can get.

smiley13.gif

Thank you.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had cats given a Convenia shot several times, and have never had them have a bad reaction. I think it's probably a good idea for an older female. Spay are hard on them and she may be more susceptible to infections becaus eof her weakened state.

There are always risks :/. Just have to decide which risk is worse.

Sandy Beach

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I, too, was concerned about Convenia due to people telling me how awful it was AFTER my cat had her 2nd injection. She was given 2 injections within 10 days of each other for an infection and she experienced zero negative side effects from it so far. But to be fair, her 2nd injection was only given a few days ago and it does take their body about 60 days to completely rid itself of the drug, which seems to be the reason most people don’t like it.

Honestly, it seems like all the negative blogs out there about Convenia are just regurgitated from a single source about one cats experience, and everyone jumped on the bandwagon. Yes, every drug has the potential for side effects...and once Convenia is given it can’t be reversed or stopped like pills can if there is a negative reaction. That alone can be scary.

So far we like it. The cat we rescued is doing amazing and you can tell she’s feeling much, much better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Q2U

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
...There are always risks :/. Just have to decide which risk is worse.
Yes...well that’s it in a nutshell. Thank you.

Q2U

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
...She was given 2 injections within 10 days of each other for an infection and she experienced zero negative side effects from it so far...
Thank you for sharing this...she’s just a feral, and not friendly at all, but I still care and worry for her.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If a cat can't be handled or shouldn't be handled, then that's the only way to have an antibiotic administered. You can say you did your best and tried, should she have complications. Better to try than her going septic from something.
The two cats of mine that have had it, have had it multiple times with no issues. If I can do clavamox, I'll usually do it, but that's not always the best option in whatever the circumstances happen to be.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
To paraphrase W Willowy , medicine is all about risks versus benefits. You have to decide how much risk you are willing to take for the benefit. Me, I would treat her with the Convenia. And yes, my cats have had Convenia several times with no issues at all.

Thank you ever so much for taking care of the ferals, even the ungrateful ones.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Q2U.
As I see it, a spay is a major operation and an abortion makes it even more serious. As a result, I'd like to get antibiotic into her...
Well, about the "As I see it..." and "I'd like to..."..........my suggestion is that you have a talk with the Vet - or, the Vet in charge, if several Vets will be operating. Explain your concerns and fears (and your willingness to cover the extra cost) and see what happens. Let me give you a somewhat similar scenario: with dental surgeries ('simple' scaling/cleaning through to multiple extractions), many 'owners' will expect (and therefore want) an antibiotic prescribed because they have come to believe that this is either desirable or provides a measure of safety. It turns out that, in actual fact, that is NOT the case. Only where there is pre-existing infection is the use of an antibiotic indicated. (I'll search for the actual AVMA reference if you'd like it.)

[I'm not saying Convenia shouldn't be used....I'm saying that IF it's to be used, that decision should be carefully considered based on careful competent Veterinary assessment.)

Now, there was a special expert forum convened here last week that focused on the topic of Spay&Neuter. There were two discussion threads that I'll suggest you read - because both are pertinent to this cat's surgery. I will not pull the quotes out, because I think you will benefit from reading through each (they're short anyway). One has to do specifically with pregnant cats, the other with the two different surgical 'approaches' by way of incision location. The first should alleviate your general fears, the second should (I hope) cause you to raise this question with the Vets as I mentioned above.

OK, here you go:
I'll offer a couple of thoughts/suggestions on this little one's case: One, consider keeping her for an extra day or two for observation and supervised recovery and second, consider having the long-acting (3-day) buprenorphine injectible used for pain relief for her (at extra cost). (BTW, if Convenia is used, no NSAID should be given)

I also want to say something to you....your passion for this work is truly awesome, touching and inspiring.

I hope that helps.

Now, something has been said in this thread that bears correction.....so, while I really can't speak to information published in "blogs", Sandy Beach Sandy Beach , let me assure you that the concerns about Convenia raised in forums like this are well-founded and documented and reflect actual experiences of innumerable cats.....just as are the reports of its successful use. No 'regurgitation', no 'bandwagon' effect. This article from CatInfo.org will provide contextual information for you to better understand this veterinary drug, its benefits and its proven concerning and real adverse potential. By any objective standard, Convenia has its place....and, that 'place' should be determined judiciously, not 'willy-nilly' (which some will say is the cause of the very real problem with it).

Q2U

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Two of Midnight's feral kittens got fixed today; one is male and other female. I spoke with the vet when I dropped the kittens off and I asked him if he employed a midline or flank incision. He told me "I use midline" and -- when I told him I had heard that flank is probably more appropriate for ferals (because it is less likely that the incision might open) he said "my incisions never come out!" Yeah, all right buddy. When I asked him if he recommended Convenia for a cat which had a sypay and abortion he said "not really," but then he said "but I'll think about it." I picked up the two kittens at 5:30PM; they look OK so far but they had their procedures early afternoon today so it's a tad early to determine how they're doing. Thanks for your help.