Female Cat Spaying - Midline Vs Flank

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi guys :hithere:

I'm from the UK, here most vets will spay female cats through their flank. I've heard in other countries spaying via midline is more common. I'm Just curious if there are any pros or cons to either a midline or flank spay ? Is one better than the other ? :)
Thank you in advance :thanks:

Dr. Phil Bushby

TCS Member
Guest Expert
Purraise
Hi guys :hithere:

I'm from the UK, here most vets will spay female cats through their flank. I've heard in other countries spaying via midline is more common. I'm Just curious if there are any pros or cons to either a midline or flank spay ? Is one better than the other ? :)
Thank you in advance :thanks:
The choice of mental midline or flank spay is really just surgeons preference. And most veterinarians simply do what they were original taught to do in veterinary schools. Since in the U.S. schools have traditionally taught ventral midline spay, that is what most veterinarians in the States do.

I generally do ventral midline EXCEPT in community (feral) cats. In my opinion for cats that will be released shortly after surgery with minimal or no postoperative care, a flank spay is safer (almost no chance of the incisions opening up after surgery).

For a veterinarian comfortable with both approaches there really is no advantage or disadvantage of one procedure as compared to the other, other than that mentioned above for community cats.