Feral Progress - Oh So Slow!

be81174

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Trapped a 1 year old feral last week and had her TNRd. I decided to keep her to see if she could be socialized. Her brother and mother both found homes so I am hoping that this little one can find one too!

I can't touch her. Last week even putting your hand in the carrier too long would elicit a swat so I haven't tried to pet her. Now she comes out of the carrier into the bathroom quite freely. She has 2 little hiding places - behind the toilet and under a little shelf. I am not pressing her to come out. Yet. She is adding the bathtub to her favourite hangouts now though.

Using tuna, I have been able to get my hand closer and closer to her. Tonight she actually ate the treat in front of me (had to wait 10 minutes for that) and a second treat was nearly eaten right from my hand. It was just a little to awkward for her to bite to so I put it on the floor.

She isn't afraid of the toilet anymore lol! She used to cower in her carrier when there was a flush and now she sits behind the toilet and doesn't even flinch.

Here are some pictures of her!!
Cersei.jpg Cersei2.jpg

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Thank you B be81174 , for rescuing them. And she a sweet looking gal.

Looks like you are doing fine with her. Just remember, love, patience and routine rules the day.

Keep us posted of the progress and if there's questions, feel free to ask :wink:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

be81174

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I took away her cage...no use for it anymore. I keep her carrier in the bathroom and she alternates between being in there, behind the toilet and in the bathtub.

I ordered some Jackson Galaxy Feral Flower. It might help, who knows. She seems far more relaxed now, more cautious than petrified. She is finally eating well! And using the letterbox like a champ.

I have been watching these guys since they were babies and now I have finally caught them all!!! Winter is terrible for a rookier trapper.

Kittens.jpg

astrael

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Socializing ferals is always a waiting game. Sounds like she's making fantastic progress, actually. Scutch came in back in fall, and it took a few months for him to fully adjust and become indoor only. (And he was determined to be in our house, his choice there.)

You seem to be doing everything right. She's just moving at her pace, and you're right with her. Just give it a bit longer. It's a whole new world for her to learn to navigate. Thank you so much for working so hard to get her a better life! :-)

be81174

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the encouragement! I am unsure of what I am doing, to be honest. I worry about every little thing...like...I leave the bathroom light off and there are no windows. Would she be happier with a light on? Or does she even care?!?! So I interchange!

I occasionally bring her out of the bathroom in her carrier to get a feel for the rest of the condo and see some light. She seems bored by it all.

She still hides in her favourite places in the bathroom and rarely comes out. She doesn't come to me for food at all but eats the treats when I leave.

Should I begin to block her from her hiding spots, so she has to be in the open more often? It has been just a week...

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Don't have to block up all the hiding spots. Keep on or two that she feels comfortable in. She still need a safe space.

She should have been exploring the bathroom while you were gone. Try leaving the treats further away like middle of the bathroom. If it's gone when you come home, for sure she did venture out of the hiding space.

The obstacle now is you. She must be 100% sure of you that you meant no threat to her so that her confidence levels will be up to trust you. Just work on that to make her own you.

Leave a piece of unwashed garment with her and so that she gets use to your scent when you are not around. It does take some time for her to warm up to you. Main thing now is not to freak her out, either with loud noises or when you are entering the bathroom. Announce your arrival in a sweet soft voice and always get down to her level. Don't appear to her looking like a giant. Leave the lights on all the time.

Remember, love, patience and routine :wink:

be81174

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lights on!! Check! I wondered which would be preferable for her. I have a dimmer too so I leave it on a low level of light so it is soft and relaxing.

She makes the rounds of her "spots". Her carrier, behind the toilet, in the bathtub and under a small standing shelf. She doesn't look for high ground, as far as I can tell. I will leave a treat on the counter and see if she ever goes up there to eat it.

We are fairly quiet people but it is a small condo and we have 2 other cats. She will hear things like the washing machine, fridge, dishwasher, TV and cats playing. She doesn't seem terribly perturbed and like I said - even the flushing of the toilet doesn't send her into her carrier!

My oldest cat has become a GRUMP!!! He doesn't like new cats and he can smell her from under the door. He slaps around the youngest brother a little now. Oh well, he'll get over it. He did when we brought the youngest home last year :-)

RLG

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just have a night light in a large 10x12 closet but it has a low 30 watt overhead, should I switch it on some instead of just nightlight? Thanks, thought I'd ask about that, too