‘Feral’ Momma cat and kitten in backyard

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Katelyn K

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The semi feral momma cat turned out to be a big sweet hear today. I attempted to pet her for a bit and she didn’t want me to stop. She was even following me around jumping up to try to reach my hand, she even laid down and let me pet her belly. I was kinda cautious tho cause I was paranoid she was gonna snap at me the entire time. She did scratch once but it seemed to be that regular cat thing where she wanted me to pet a certain spot and I wasn’t doing it so she tried scratching me but still wanted pets. Even when I was trying to go back inside she still wanted pets and even jumped up on a little table thing on the porch to try to reach my hands so I wouldn’t stop petting her. She’s still a bit of an angry lady but she’s a sweet heart deep down. I guess all that meowing she’s been doing wasn’t just cause she wanted food.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
The semi feral momma cat turned out to be a big sweet hear today. I attempted to pet her for a bit and she didn’t want me to stop. She was even following me around jumping up to try to reach my hand, she even laid down and let me pet her belly. I was kinda cautious tho cause I was paranoid she was gonna snap at me the entire time. She did scratch once but it seemed to be that regular cat thing where she wanted me to pet a certain spot and I wasn’t doing it so she tried scratching me but still wanted pets. Even when I was trying to go back inside she still wanted pets and even jumped up on a little table thing on the porch to try to reach my hands so I wouldn’t stop petting her. She’s still a bit of an angry lady but she’s a sweet heart deep down. I guess all that meowing she’s been doing wasn’t just cause she wanted food.
Sounds like you have a new friend.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds to me like she’s pregnant again. Pregnancy hormones cause cats to become very affectionate. Now would be a good time to move her and her kitten indoors and schedule a spay soon.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds to me like she’s pregnant again. Pregnancy hormones cause cats to become very affectionate. Now would be a good time to move her and her kitten indoors and schedule a spay soon.
. Oh that is not great news but it’s not horrible news either. Katelyn K Katelyn K that “might’ be what happened to the other kitten(s) sometimes daddies are great and sometimes they aren’t.

Katelyn K

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well Bastet moved the kitten again. No idea where to. I can only hope it’s just another part of the garage blocked off with stuff considering she still pops out of the garage every time I call her for food. Black kitten in a dark garage. Not a great combination.

Katelyn K

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’ve only managed to see the kitten once since I posted here last about it. I still assume it’s still in the garage since the momma cat still pops out of there and follows me if she sees me go in there.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve only managed to see the kitten once since I posted here last about it. I still assume it’s still in the garage since the momma cat still pops out of there and follows me if she sees me go in there.
Well, kitten should be getting close to moving on it's own soon.

Katelyn K

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, kitten should be getting close to moving on it's own soon.
Speaking of which, it was on the porch with the momma cat just now. Don’t know if the momma cat carried it there or if it tried following it’s mom, but it’s definitely crawling around a lot right now. Last I checked Taffy was out there playing with it, their younger sibling. Got a small pic of the baby before it crawled under a box. Bastet still won’t let me get too too close.

Attachments

Dazzcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Aww, mama cat does look pregnant again already, poor thing. And too far along to terminate. Baby kitten is adorable.

I think it is possible to gain mom’s trust. Can you trap them both? Could you foster mom inside through her next litter? I’ll bet she would adapt fairly easily once inside and being cared for. It would then be easier to associate with a no-kill shelter to get everyone adopted, or perhaps you have friends or relatives who might be interested.

In the meantime, continue to feed mom and kitten more than once per day as they need the food, and to build trust to hopefully bring them inside or trap them. Kitten for sure deserves a good forever home. Mom deserves help. Best to get them together for now if at all possible.

Thank you for caring and keep us posted!

Katelyn K

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well the youngest kitten’s been missing for about 24 hours now. Forgot to post an update but the momma cat and youngest kitten lived on the porch for around two weeks. Kitten could walk and run on its own, a few days ago it started following it’s mom out of the porch instead of constantly staying there on his own. I would expect him to be following his mom around, but Bastet’s been coming to the porch alone for the past 24 hours for food. I assume the kitten is just learning to walk and be on its own and stuff but I’m still paranoid since I haven’t seen it. God I’m gonna have a panic attack over these cats again. I hope I’m just overthinking it.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Well the youngest kitten’s been missing for about 24 hours now. Forgot to post an update but the momma cat and youngest kitten lived on the porch for around two weeks. Kitten could walk and run on its own, a few days ago it started following it’s mom out of the porch instead of constantly staying there on his own. I would expect him to be following his mom around, but Bastet’s been coming to the porch alone for the past 24 hours for food. I assume the kitten is just learning to walk and be on its own and stuff but I’m still paranoid since I haven’t seen it. God I’m gonna have a panic attack over these cats again. I hope I’m just overthinking it.
. You are not overthinking. How old is the youngest?

Katelyn K

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
. You are not overthinking. How old is the youngest?
Five weeks, nearing six at the moment. I just really want to hope I’m overthinking it and hope the kitten is just fine.

Katelyn K

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He looks exactly like his mom I swear.

Katelyn K

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My youngest kitten whom I’m calling Edgelord no matter the gender has recently turned six weeks old and I’ve been letting him inside since his mom was an outside cat. For the past three days I’ve been trying to get him to use the litterbox and I’ve been having issues.

I’ve been putting his in the litterbox after he eats, and right when he gets in. I’ve even tried some weird thing someone suggested about wiping up his pee with a wipe and putting it in the litterbox to let him smell it. Every time he just jumps straight out and runs back to play with his older sister Taffy. Taffy was easy, she just smelled a cat was go there and started going there too. And every time he does use the bathroom in the house it’s in the same corner no matter how many times I clean it up.

I know it’s only been three days but my father keeps telling me if Edgelord doesn’t learn to use the litterbox I’ll have to stop letting him inside, and I’m not putting a small six week old kitten outside at night if I can help it. Especially since possums and raccoons are out there.

Anyone have any advice for litterbox training?

Last edited by a moderator:

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you have something you can give as a treat then when his sister uses the litter box praise her and give her a treat. After a little while Edgelord should become interested in also getting a treat. If you can try putting a litter box in the corner he always uses. If you can't then you'll need an ensyme cleaner to clean that corner well enough for him not to smell the scent that tells him that's where the potty is.

Also give it time. It took me forever to get my 6-8 week old kittens to use the litter box when I first brought them in. They ended up using my dogs potty patch instead. Which wasn't fantastic, but better than the floor.

Katelyn K

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you have something you can give as a treat then when his sister uses the litter box praise her and give her a treat. After a little while Edgelord should become interested in also getting a treat. If you can try putting a litter box in the corner he always uses. If you can't then you'll need an ensyme cleaner to clean that corner well enough for him not to smell the scent that tells him that's where the potty is.

Also give it time. It took me forever to get my 6-8 week old kittens to use the litter box when I first brought them in. They ended up using my dogs potty patch instead. Which wasn't fantastic, but better than the floor.
I know it’ll take time, I’m just more concerned that my father might force me to keep him outside. I mean it’s only been three days since I started letting Edgelord in and he’s already suggested it like three times.