Feral Kitty Behavior

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

psychomama

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is our feral Hitchcock you lives in our backyard. We have been feeding him since August and did TNR in December.
We still cannot pet him and if you get too close he ll hiss. He will run towards me when I have his food stop himself and flop over like he wants me to pet him but runs away if I try.
He also meows at us constantly when we are outside side like he is taking to us and he and Psycho have conversations when I walk Psycho on his leash. Never let them get too close.
I hope to socialize him and find him a home if possible but I guess that is up to him.
Has anyone experienced this type of behavior from a feral? This is my first time caring for a feral and just want some pointers.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for neutering him, that saves him a lifetime of fighting and abscesses. His behavior is very normal for a kitten born to a stray or feral mama, but exposed to humans at an early age. A true feral would not even show himself if at all possible. Your little one is very scared and unsure of you, the rolling around is a sign of submission and showing you that he is starting to trust you, as is the meowing, he is too scared to come closer, but wants your attention and for you to notice him. It is the beginning of a bonding, just continue to move very slowly around him, talk to him as much as possible and offer him treats. Throw them a little ways from him and then slowly move him closer over time by throwing them closer to you. Sit quietly outside and let him approach you as close as he dares, eventually he will allow you to stroke him. My feral has never allowed me to pick him up, but lets me pet him and pick ticks off of him. Good luck, and bless you for helping that little boy!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

psychomama

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was told just to give him the rabies and distemper vacs. The Vet did not test for Felline leukemia. Also should I trap him each year and have him vaccinated again. I have a pill for fleas ticks and mosquitos that I mix in his food but if I can I will do the topical I put on Psycho Advantage
II Multi.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't retrap my ferals, they get way too stressed out. I get them the vaccinations when they are neutered and then once more the following year, and that is it. I have been researching the newest studies out that say cats only need to be vaccinated every three years. My old 16 year old house cat with a heart condition hasn't had vaccinations for a couple of years now, it is too hard on him to go in. You have to follow your instincts on ferals. I give them the topical up almost between their ears for worms, (Profender, Advantage Multi is good too. ) and so far they haven't had fleas and I pull off the occasional tick. As long as you are able to take care of him with food and shelter, he will be fine. I figure mine are a lot better off then living in the wild with no care.