Feral In Quarantine

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

afarquhar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Braveheart was finally released from quarantine! So glad we were able to bring him home yesterday. I'm currently keeping him in a bathroom but he is not happy, poor little guy. Aside from quickly eating/drinking/etc, he just stays in his carrier. He's also yowling and sounding so distressed. I'm wondering how long to keep him here and if I should bring the carrier outside to release him. It's been 2 days since his surgery.

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't say I blame the poor little fellow for yowling. I feel that both him and you got screwed over. As for how long to keep him and when to release him I would say forever and never. I am an indoor-only cat person and turned my two rescued feral kittens into indoor-only cats. I am not the person to answer that as I am all for TN with no R. I realize that is not practical for all people so I will let someone else answer that. I just wanted to point out I sure as heck don't blame him for yowling and being stressed, I feel sorry for the little fellow.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
afarquhar afarquhar

Poor baby sounds traumatized to me. This is sad. He should not have had to go through this.

Was he neutered? Have you been able to check to see that all is well in that area? He should not be in pain unless something is not right.

It's probably time to remove the carrier and get him out of the bathroom.

It sounds like he needs loads of attention and playing with, and time with you.

Can you put him in another room, such as your bedroom, where he has windows, and can explore a bit?

Then spend time sitting and talking and using a wand toy to play with him?

Being with you may improve his disposition. He sounds frightened.

I know he still needs socializing. I am afraid if you let him outside in this frame of mind he will run away.

This will take some time, but he needs to stay inside for the forseeable future.

Please keep us updated.

afarquhar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you Shane Kent Shane Kent and Sarthur2 Sarthur2 for your thoughts & support. Yes, he was neutered, microchipped and received vaccs. My original plan was to keep him inside for a few days to get him used to us but after being in a cage for almost 20 days now he desperately wants out. (Animal Control took their sweet time in clearing him). He stays in his carrier mostly and won't let me near him but last night I noticed that he was searching the room for an escape (I have a Nest cam to spy). He's eating well and even jumped up on the counter so I don't think he's in any pain. I just want to do what's best for him and not psychologically damage him. His cries break my heart. I do worry about him being outside and the vet did not ear tip him. I can move him to a bigger room/guest room and luckily our other two indoor kitties are doing just fine with a kitty in the other room. In fact, I think they tried to break him out last night. :) I'll move him today and see how it goes.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think moving him to a guest room - and eventually removing the carrier - will help!

He can still hide under the bed, but he will no longer be as confined.

Put his food, water, and litter in the room, and make sure he is able to look out a window.

Give him some toys, which he may not use right away.

I hope more space, a window, and most importantly time, will help him to relax.

I am rooting for him to begin trusting you again along the way.

20 days - how cruel! That is inexcusable in my book. And to think this was planned as a 2-day neuter only. Aarrgghh!

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gosh that's a long time ! I agree with others keep him in however let him see another room as he probably thinks he's being chaged again ! Let him win your trust whilst in another room with space with time he will hopefully realise you have been helping him !

afarquhar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, I will never go back to this vet. It's a bummer because they were so great with my indoor kitty. I understand that mistakes happen but it was they way they handled it. I found them to be defensive and unsympathetic. I.E. When I said was thankful that a particular tech was handling the feral, the vet replied "The young man who handled him is also very competent. Bites just happen." Okay, well maybe they should get a better process down for when they do happen because I doubt they call Animal Control every time.

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
"I just want to do what's best for him and not psychologically damage him. His cries break my heart. I do worry about him being outside ..."

I am in no way an expert like other people on this site but will share my experience and thoughts.

My two cats Kitty and Rusty were very desperate to get back outside at first. They cried and I did feel a little guilty forcing them to stay inside. Fortunately I never got a major setback from my vet like you did. I socialized them at work and they lived in the office building for approximately a year. It didn't take a year to socialize them I just wasn't in any rush to get them out of the building. End of last year I was at work on the weekend feeding them on a cold snowy day. Having had them for several months and they were socialized I figured I would see what they would do when I opened the door. If they ran off I had the day to get them back. Kitty made it as far as feeling the cold air blowing in the door and Rusty stood just outside the door not venturing far in the cold snow. No way they were going outside in the cold, far better inside and they know it. They lived outside the winter before. I don't think I will try that on a sunny summer day any time soon though ;)

As far as Rusty was going on a cold snowy day.

I have four cats and they all hate cold snowy days? Maybe they get that from me as I also hate cold days. My cats are indoor cats but I do take them outside on supervised visits. On our property and not allowed out of our sight. Never at or after dusk because of raccoons, etc. Kitty and Rusty are not at the point where I can start letting them out as they have only been at my place for a month and a half.

I do not feel you "should have to" keep the cat inside. You have done plenty for Braveheart as is and that is enough to make you a wonderful person in my books. If you are worried about traumatizing the cat further I feel you should stop worrying because the cat is far better off inside with you.

Have a nice weekend. I hope Braveheart has a speedy recovery from his ordeal and realizes fast that you only want what is best for him.

Last edited:

afarquhar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much Shane Kent Shane Kent . It makes sense that after a safe & warm home your kitties didn't want to go back to their old & cold lives. They are lucky to have you! I also take one of my indoor cats on supervised outdoor visits. He is obsessed with going outside and is constantly meowing at the door. Once outside, all he does is roll around in the dirt and smell plants. My other cat could care less about outside life. The difference in their personalities amazes me.

I had a feeling that Braveheart wanted a better life and thought maybe he desired to be (at least) partially indoors. He would lounge around our porch after eating just watching us garden or what not.... Today, Braveheart is hiding under the bed but doesn't seem as scared so that is heartening. Also wanted to share that last night I was shocked to see that a stuffed animal that was in the corner of the room was now under the bed with him! He dragged it under by himself maybe to make him feel less lonely. He's such a sweetie.
IMG_1440.JPG

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sweet ! I reckon he will be fine and love indoors! We've tried on a number of occasions to take gracie out supervised ! Even made her an outside pen she can sit in when we are in the garden. Well she goes nuts if we take her out the door! She hates it ! I sat in the garden on Sunday next to the Pateo door and she was on the other side (inside) - still next to me but was happy. mind you she does get the best food - even a tiny bit of steak when I eat it. My workmates joke she eats better than them . Think she knows she wouldn't get that elsewhere

afarquhar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all! Great suggestion on moving him to a larger room. That's heartening to hear about your kitty daisyd daisyd . I'm hoping Braveheart's outdoor life becomes a distant memory. He is still yowling but then I see him playing and exploring the room so maybe he's just figuring it all out. His interests currently include wet food, a teddy bear and some cat nip toys. He's didn't seem like a territorial cat outside so I hope that he'll adjust nicely. Fingers crossed he likes my other male indoor kitties!

david68

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just a curiosity question: Aren't all vets and vet techs required to have human rabies vaccinations? I know that all vet school students are required to get them before classes begin. I wonder if this was an issue at that vet practice -- that someone inexperienced and unvaccinated got bitten.

afarquhar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was under that impression as well but when I inquired they said that only the vets and SOME techs there have the vaccination. Perhaps it's not mandatory or they are not law abiding... Or perhaps the young man hasn't started school yet. They also mentioned that the tech who was bitten would need to have painful shots in the stomach if the cat had rabies which worried me even more. But then I found out that process was long gone (it's just shots in the arm now). Regardless they are inexperienced or incompetent to some degree.

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
I think regardless of if they require shots or not it is rather unprofessional of someone that is supposed to work with animals to put their hand, arm, face, etc. anywhere near a feral, semi-feral or scared stray cat. I used thick heavy oven mitts and a jacket with leather sleeves when dealing with Kitty and Rusty at first. I know oven mitts aren't very professional but they worked well and I am a computer geek not a vet or vet tech. I would have got bitten and scratched a few times had it not been for the mitts and leather sleeves.

I know under the bed is not the ideal place for Braveheart but I have to say that is a cute photo of him with the teddy bear. And even though under the bed is not the ideal place I feel at this point it is far better than being outside.

MJO12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took my stray cat Frankie to the vet to be neutered. Frankie is not friendly. The vet asked me to put him back in his carrier so they could transport him to the back. Frankie bit and scratched my hand and fingers. The vet should have put him in the carrier, or asked the technician to do it, not me. They are inoculated against rabies. The upshot was that Frankie had to stay in quarantine 10 days, and I got cellulitis from the bite and spent two nights in the hospital getting a constant IV drip. The law says cats that have no vaccination record must be quarantined for 10 days. I don't have any quarrel with that. Rabies is too terrible and must be treated seriously. I visited Frankie during his confinement and he was well cared for. But he was sure glad to get out. I tell people that Frankie went to jail for 10 days for assault.

afarquhar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How irresponsible of the vet to ask you to handle him M MJO12 . They should have at least offered you gloves. I'm sorry to hear that you had to be in the hospital. It's crazy how cat bites can be so dangerous. I like the way you look at it though...jail for assault and now house arrest for Braveheart :)