Feral In Quarantine

afarquhar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had been caring for a kitten for the last few months (he's now 6 mos) and was finally able to trap him this week. I'm new to the trapping process so I called my local vet beforehand to see if they could treat a feral and to make an appointment (by that time the cat had a routine and I knew I could trap him in the morning). The vet said it was no problem and "they'd be ready". When I took him in, the gentleman at the front desk seemed a little nervous to take his cage which I should have taken as a sign. The next day I called to check on the cat and was told by the vet that there was "an incident and the cat wasn't dead but he was in quarantine." She informed me that during the transferring of cages the previous night, an employee reached for the cornered cat which then bit him. The vet called animal control, the employee had to go to the hospital, the whole bit. The vet made it seem that the cat was lucky to even be alive at this point and said legally that they must keep him quarantined for 10 days. If he does have rabies then it will become a public health issue and the employee will need rabies shots.

Yes, I am sorry the employee got hurt but I'm also upset the cat is being punished for acting like a wild animal. Poor thing must be so scared as he's been in a cage now for 4 days.

The vet techs should have been more prepared especially since I communicated multiple times that he was feral. I can't believe they put someone inexperienced (and someone who didn't have a rabies vaccination) in a room with him. I'm VERY concerned that if the cat does bite again they won't hesitate to call animal control again and have him euthanized :(

I would really like to have him released to me for the rest of his quarantine. I have already found a rescue organization that is more experienced with ferals for his sterilization,etc.

Does anyone know if releasing a quarantined cat is possible or had a similar situation? I just want to know my rights so that I can do what I can to help this sweet creature. I appreciate hearing your thoughts/advice/experiences. Thank you!

Attachments

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How long does he have to be quarantined? Are you able to visit him? Can you call and talk to Animal Control about their procedures?

You need to let the vet office know that when you are allowed to take him, that you will need to come and get him out of their cage yourself, and into your carrier - that no one else should attempt that because you do not want anything else to occur.

This is a truly unfortunate situation. Your cat looks like a sweetie. I'm sure he's scared to death. And you were just trying to do right by him!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

afarquhar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He must be quarantined for 10 days (6 more long days). I called to see if I could visit him but they worry that he will bite me and need to get approval from the vet first. At least I knew to wear gloves when I trapped him so I feel like I could handle him better as I've been cautious all along. I will try to reach animal control. Thank you for your response and support!

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of our now-inside cats, Chester (the cat in my avatar) bit my husband when we put Chester on our sun porch after his neuter surgery. The next day, we took Chester's sister to the vet for spaying and m husband mentioned being bitten. The vet immediately called Animal Control, who sent out an officer. Chester was quarantined on the porch for ten days and the officer visited twice more before declaring him rabies-free. He was never any danger to us - my husband had startled him during the transfer process.

Perhaps you can work with the vet to arrange visits where you can simply sit quietly with the cat. The chances of his having rabies is very slim. The tech should probably have known better but many vets are not trained to work with ferals.

Keep us posted.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have no advice, but I hope you can take it to a different vet who is more experienced dealing with feral cats. I doubt the cat has rabies.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is a feral cat, of course he would bite anyone trying to grab him. I would go personally into that vet's office, ask who is in charge, and explain what happened. Tell them in no uncertain terms that you will be picking him up at the end of ten days, and YOU will transfer him, unless they have someone experienced in ferals. Explain that you told the office he was feral and for someone to grab him was very unprofessional. Ask how he is being cared for and insist on seeing him. Is he being fed and watered? You can visit him with no physical contact, assure them you will take responsibility. If you need permission from the vet, insist on him talking to you. Remember, it is THEIR stupidity taht caused all this. Maybe you can contact the rescue organization and have them take over? I wish you well.

afarquhar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all! My husband and I plan on going to the vet tomorrow morning (with or without permission) and hopefully get to visit with the sweetie, who we've named Braveheart. If they are able to release him I will feel so much better having him here. The rescue organization has been helpful and I've already made an appointment with them next week in case I am able to get him out. Any recommendations on a proper carrier I can bring with me to the vet? I had him in a cage initially when I trapped him but want something he'll feel more secure in.

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
I really hope that Braveheart will be able to overcome what has happened and that this will not set him back too much. I feel so bad for you and Braveheart. Like you I called my vet and asked if they would take a feral and they said yes. Thank God nothing like this happened as I would have likely freaked out on the vet and made matters worse. It is good to see you are keeping somewhat of a level head about the whole matter, I am not sure if I could. I will keep you and Braveheart in my thoughts and hope this ends well for both you. I wish Braveheart, you and your husband all the best.

afarquhar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, Shane! I appreciate it. I am really trying to keep my sanity. :) It definitely helps to share and hear from other cat lovers.

afarquhar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We visited Braveheart today. He's in a cage that is separated from the general pop so it is quieter. He's being fed and watered. While he didn't look scared, he looked depressed which I can completely understand. We spoke to the technician in charge of him. She's now the only one that is allowed to open his cage for water/food/litter and ensured us that no one who is inexperienced will be handling him. She seemed very competent which was reassuring. The vet will not allow us to take him for the remainder of his quarantine since Animal Control requires the animal to be confined at the place where the bite took place. Animal Control will be back one more time to declare him rabies-free and close his case in which case the vet will neuter/vaccinate the next day. I think at this point, it's best to keep him where he's at instead of transferring to a new environment/rescue for his neuter. I feel a bit better after seeing him but still sad he has to be in there until next Thursday or Friday.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Will you visit him again soon? How did he react to you?

I'm sorry that you cannot take him home yet. I know this is difficult for you and the kitten.

Perhaps when you finally take him home next week you can keep him inside for awhile so he doesn't panic and run away.

afarquhar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, I'll go back Monday or Tuesday to check on him. He was hiding behind a bunch of towels so I could just see one eye but he did start slowly blinking towards the end of the visit which I've heard is a sign of trust. :) I will keep him inside for a bit after he comes home to see how he likes it and hopefully to regain his trust. Will give him lots of tasty treats. I would like him to at least be partially indoors.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, blinking is a feral cat's way of saying "We're chill." So that is a very good sign!

I agree with you. Right now, he's had enough change. Leaving him where he is is best. Glad the tech is competent.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh god I hope it goes well ! My kitten always bites the vet... But suppose she has never been feral (although I call her one when she is naughty ! Do they do that because of rabies then (sorry if dumb q however we don't have it here and they don't even vaccinate for it ) - it just seems a bit harsh 10 days . Silly vet should have worn gloves or protection then would have been ok if bitten !

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The ten day quarantine is because, if the cat has rabies, he or she will show signs within that ten day period. It is safer to quarantine for that length of time, just to be sure.

afarquhar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, the quarantine is in case he has rabies. As of now (Day 6) he does not show any symptoms. And agree in regard to wearing gloves when handling ferals!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sorry for the rant, but this with vet assuring you they are prepared for a feral, but sending in an inexperienced and not very wise tech, reminds me of an anecdote I believe is true.

I was on a course of biochemistry. The teacher was a university scientist, possibly even a professor. So he told about a process which was tricky and also quite dangerous. It was necessary with the outmost care and safety precautions.

So he told about a visit to England and talking with the british collegues about the process and experiments possible there.

But the english scientists assured gladely: dangerous?? not at all! We just let the assistants do it. *shocked*

I suppose a friendly interpretation could be, their assistans were seasoned, practical persons with the technical knack, whom instinctively knew how to do even difficult tasks, without their hand shaking nor anything alike such. Unlike the old professors.
But it didnt sounded nice!

Last edited:

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope you get to bring him home ! You are just trying to do the right thing - get his jabs etc done

afarquhar

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ha! StefanZ StefanZ Yes, I can see the parallel. I have a feeling they may have been "training" this new employee as other techs were in the room. What a hard lesson for both him AND the subject.