Feral in my garage

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
The first pic below is him looking out of the opening
Maybe he just likes having a lookout point. Forest cat spends a lot of his time in the upstairs window watching what the others are doing outside. I think cats just like to be up high keeping an eye on what's going on.

ForestCat58.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He is learning what is around and I bet he is guarding the place now that he knows the lay of the land. Cats actually do guard their humans. He is starting to “own” his home. It’s all wonderful. I’m not sure if you really understand this but Oscar loves you too.
Thanks Everyone for your ongoing support. I could not get through any of this journey with Oscar without you so THANKS.

As I said, I won't feel safe until that shed opening is closed up. Then the next question will be how to insulate or make it warm in the winter. The soffits are only plastic so heat and cold come right in. He will be dry in there and out of the snow and I will be able to put straw in a bed and blankets - but not sure if that will be enough. But, I get ahead of myself.

Down tomorrow for the final clean, paint, mow part of my old house which goes on the market on Thursday. And I am dreading Wednesday and saying goodbye to my girl Ilsa . . . .my gorgeous black German Shepherd whom I rescued 13 years ago when she was around one years old. There is no way around it but I am dreading.

On a happier note, Oscar spent most of yesterday laying behind the cube on the floor of the shed. I went in at 3 pm and he was there . .in the corner on the floor and looking at me. I didn't want to freak him out so I didn't go into the shed - just glanced at him, sprayed two shots of feliway, said some words and left. I went back at 4 pm and did the same thing. When I went at 7 pm . . he was up in the loft.

I think that was the right thing? Since he was in a corner . . I didn't want to corner him and approach. I wanted my visit to be no big deal and was happy that after I left - he stayed there. And happy that he found a place that was cooler.

The saga continues . ...

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Then the next question will be how to insulate or make it warm in the winter. The soffits are only plastic so heat and cold come right in.
Regarding the A/C....... 1) In the summer days, like now, can the A/C vents be pointed upwards so that more of the shed get the cold air and I don't think it's reach the loft but at least it can cool as high as the cold wind will go and also cold air sinks, so when the A/C is blown upwards, it'll also cool the lower part of the shed. If the vents are pointing straight or downwards, cool air won't be able to circulate much around the shed and the floor will be very cold instead. 2) Does the A/C have a heater? Or does it have higher temperature that can be adjusted too blow out warm air?

I think that was the right thing? Since he was in a corner . . I didn't want to corner him and approach. I wanted my visit to be no big deal and was happy that after I left - he stayed there. And happy that he found a place that was cooler.
I think you are doing great. Keep it up :clapcat: . Let Oscar make the first move. You just observe his behavior and work around it.
You are right, no point scaring him and covering him which will not improve the situation.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The shed will keep him dry and out of the elements, but it will be chilly. Having a shelter or places with straw will help. You could also get an insulated cat house and add an outdoor approved heat pad. When I cared for outdoor feral cats my DH built a shelter and we put a hound heater inside. The hound heater heats a small space and is used for outdoor dog houses. It worked perfectly for my cats along with a heat pad on the bottom. I used to keep a thermometer in the cat houses and it usually stayed about 30 degrees above the outside temperature.

When things settle a bit for you, I would suggest going into the shed and sitting on the floor and talking with him. Keep your gaze down or not looking at him. Just sit and talk. Start by staying just 5 minutes. Then go ahead and leave. I used to always bring a super yummy treat along. At first I would leave the treat after I left and as the cat became more comfortable I would toss one near the cat when I arrived.

Another idea is catnip or silver vine. Has he had some? Some cats don't react to catnip, but most will to silver vine. You could bring in a towel and sprinkle some silver vine. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N6UGYQM/?tag=thecatsite

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cloud Nine Silver Vine - Large Will send Oscar to Cloud Nine! Elvis LOVES it. Much more than catnip. Just a TINY pinch does the trick and you can sprinkle on toys, or put into refillable toys. It's potent so just a little will do.
If you go to homedepot.com you'll see the different types of insulation and their applications. The original owners of our Mojave place had put insulation in the walls and ceiling of the kitten cabin but had not finished it entirely. You can look at what types are best for your structure and hopefully get an idea from there.
We had a little ceramic heater in there. In the barn, we had an oil heater (commonly used in garages; it has a thermostat) and a portable swamp cooler with double water chambers we had to refill. These work best in dry heat. Also, we had a mister in the compound for when they were outside.
Keep on using that Feliway and visiting/talking to him!
:hugs: for Wednesday.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
My thoughts and prayers go out to you, especially for Wednesday. It is never easy saying goodbye to a beloved pet. Remember all the good times Ilsa brought you and your household. Cherish it always. 🐶🐕❤❤❤

I wish you all the best with securing the shed and making it a place Oscar can be happy and comfortable in year round. Once again he is lucky to have you in his life. 🙂

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you - I had to go down to the old house and get more stuff - clean - and then drive back and get some drugs to give Ilsa before the vet gets here. She’s fear agreasive which makes everything hard and I don’t want her scared and struggling her last moments. I’m a mess over this.

for good news - Oscar is still here! He hasn’t jumped out of the soffit opening and I’m hoping he won’t. I’ve called quite a few people and no one has time. I’m going to keep trying. It’s 12 ft up so I’m a bit hesitant going up and buying a ladder that size.

Hes eating and pooping and using both sides of the ramp. He looked relaxed since He doesn’t run down and back. He takes his time.

Fingers crossed he begins to consider this his “home”

2B484929-9C4A-4A17-B6A5-C79E0C8A65A1.png

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you - I had to go down to the old house and get more stuff - clean - and then drive back and get some drugs to give Ilsa before the vet gets here. She’s fear agreasive which makes everything hard and I don’t want her scared and struggling her last moments. I’m a mess over this.

for good news - Oscar is still here! He hasn’t jumped out of the soffit opening and I’m hoping he won’t. I’ve called quite a few people and no one has time. I’m going to keep trying. It’s 12 ft up so I’m a bit hesitant going up and buying a ladder that size.

Hes eating and pooping and using both sides of the ramp. He looked relaxed since He doesn’t run down and back. He takes his time.

View attachment 427516
Wonderful update and Oscar looks very calm, relaxed, and as if he owns the place :redheartpump: :blackcat2::redheartpump:
:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::hugs:🐕

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise

Very good news to hear this and to see Oscar doing his stuffs. I guess it's slowly sinking into him that this is his own home. As you recalled, it's so different from the foist day. Oscar just need time to adjust and he's doing great.

About the hole in the roof. Since its so high and currently toucan't get anyone to repair it, I have a suggestion. If you can find a 12 feet long pole or maybe 2 pieces of poles of different lengths that make up 12 feet after securing them together, get a piece of plank the slightly bigger size than the hole and nail it down the top of the pole and push it up against the hole. That means the pole has to be slightly longer that 12 feet. Stick the top up flush against the hole and push gently so that the bottom is sundae tight into the soli as you don't want to push too hard upwards as it may cause further damage to the hole. Just prop it up temporary till actual repair can be done.

Last edited:

Bitsy's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Very good news to hear this and to see Oscar doing his stuffs. I guess it's slowly sinking into him that this is his own home. As you recalled, it's so different from the foist day. Oscar just need time to adjust and he's doing great.

About the hole in the roof. Since its so high and currently toucan't get anyone to repair it, I have a suggestion. If you can find a 12 feet long pole or maybe 2 pieces of poles of different lengths that make up 12 feet after securing them together, get a piece of plank the slightly bigger size than the hole and nail it down the top of the pole and push it up against the hole. That means the pole has to be slightly longer that 12 feet. Stick the top up flush against the hole and push gently so that the bottom is sundae tight into the soli as you don't want to push too hard upwards as it may cause further damage to the hole. Just prop it up temporary till actual repair can be done.
That’s a great idea. The only issue is that it would have to be strong enough so that if he walked in it - it wouldn’t collapse. Here’s what it looks like:i
E65EBD39-772B-4210-821F-C6D3C90B88F0.jpeg

tabbytom

Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
The only issue is that it would have to be strong enough so that if he walked in it - it wouldn’t collapse. Here’s what it looks like:i
You can stack up two poles in equal distance instead of one. Two will have more support even if Oscar walks on it. Main thing is that if the bottom is sturdy, I don't think he has the strength to lift the plank up.

I see that you can have a rectangular plank rather than a square one. A rectangular plank can cover more towards the left and right side of the hole which makes it more stable and harder for Oscar to dig. Only thing is you have to make the plank longer on the left side as the roofing is at an angle and its's more work to do separate pieces. As long as the left is long and probably stretch to the end, it's difficult for him to destruct it though there maybe a small opening and he can smell the breeze.

The 2 poles can be anchored at both end or slightly further away from the hole which I think will be strong enough. If you think it won't be strong enough, stick another pole up against it.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Genius, tabbytom tabbytom ! Hope you can do that, Bitsy's Mom Bitsy's Mom and hope it works. The more poles you can put under it, the more stable and hard to dislodge it will be.
:hugs: *I hope you share my beliefs that the soul is eternal, and that we will be reunited with all of our loved ones in due time. My belief is based on knowledge.*