Feral De-wormed With Drontel? Saw Dead Ones

RLG

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have the feral mom (babies were weened 8 days ago n she's been here since Saturday) awaiting her spay in a cat room I made up. I'm gonna socialize etc. She was given drontel by mouth for worms. I gave her a 1/4 tsp of coconut oil with gravy as a snack 2 times in 6 days. She threw up these thin spaghetti looking things about an inch or two long that were motionless each time but she was also starting back on wet food. She loved the coconut oil btw. Should I worm again with same stuff? She won't be spayed/seeing vet for another week? She eats plenty (a bit fast though) n drinks. She goes in LB but she leaves some kind of marking on the towel which surrounds LB (it's thin, liquid of dark rusty color?) any thoughts
I have not been able to check her stool too close for worms (she's quite the digger) but I didn't notice anything however I'll take a look at her potty after tonight. Are worms gone?? Does she just need to pass em? Thanks for any insight

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When did the vet give her the Drontal? You have to wait at least two weeks to give the second dose.

• Purraise
Reactions: RLG
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

RLG

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good to know. It's been a bit over 2 weeks but will double check when I pick it up tonight. I want her to be as healthy as she can before spaying/shots/stress. She had some wet Nutro this morn n a teaspoon of bone broth with some water n a tablespoon of very good kibble. She's out of hiding n looks good. Her pupils aren't saucers -lol

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, some people do the second dose after 2 weeks, some wait 3 weeks.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She goes in LB but she leaves some kind of marking on the towel which surrounds LB (it's thin, liquid of dark rusty color?) any thoughts
Not sure of the timing on the wormer, but dark rusty color in the urine sounds like it could be blood in the urine. I'd call the vet and mention it. If she has a UTI, her spay may have to wait a bit.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The dark rusty color was her urine? I thought it was her poop. In that case, she'll probably have to be seen by a vet before the second de-wormer pill. Keep us posted on how it turns out.

RLG

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure what it was? She didn't do it on towel last night, whatever it was, I think (thought) it coulda been diarea?? She peed in LB today. She's had 80 percent wet food today and I put a teaspoon of bone broth in some water that she drank up. I can't get to a vet at the moment?? Crap. I don't know what to do. Should I make sure she has more liquids to keep passing urine? I'm gonna see if I can find the money to get her to the vet ASAP but what is best protocol for my next 36 hrs.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it was in her urine, it would have all absorbed into the towel and you would have just noticed the color of the stain. If it was diarrhea then you would probably have seen some "solids" residue on top of the towel.

RLG

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I check tomorrow, in her box, is there a way to tell? She has 2 boxes and she did pee today (small clump). She does more "business" at night so I'll b checking tomorrow. She only had dry for 20 days while weening her babies n then she came here. I'm hoping it was stress related, that it could pass. I gave her another teaspoon of bone broth with water a half hour ago.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How did it go with the litter box this morning? Is she urinating okay?

RLG

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, the liquid on the towel is only a light brown/tannish color so I suspect diahrrea cuz it had a coating or filmy consistency to it. No rusty or reddish at all. I'm picking up the drontal today.
She did vomit a little, too.

RLG

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm calling some vets on Monday to see if I can get her fully vetted someway. Do some do discounts, I wonder?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some do give discounts for feral cats. I think they have to be really feral though, once I brought my cats to live inside and socialized them, they wouldn't give me a discount. Ask around though, they might. Do you have a veterinary clinic? Mine had really good prices.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm calling some vets on Monday to see if I can get her fully vetted someway. Do some do discounts, I wonder?
If you live in a large city there is probably a low-cost clinic or two. Otherwise you'll need to call around for pricing.

Also, pricing may depend on what you plan to do with her and the kittens. If you are keeping them or plan to find homes for them yourself, then you're less likely to get discounts. If you are "voluntarily fostering" (not signed up with a shelter as a foster) then a shelter may work with you for free vet care, but you would be giving them the cat and kittens for placement when everyone is spayed/neutered and they have space available. If momma is "very feral" and you'll be releasing momma back outside, then a TNR group or shelter may help you with expenses.

• Purraise
Reactions: RLG

RLG

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm just keeping and have mom, babies were/will b adopted through rescue person. Mom is feral but we're on day 8 and she is layed out, snoozing about 3' from me. She seems to want me in her room so I've been spending lots of time on the floor, she watches me play with a toy or bathrobe tie. She hisses when I first enter which turned into some meows and once I've sat or whatever, she's quite content. I'm babying her but I'm sure she deserves it. I think she likes the company. I really want her properly vetted so she can come out into larger area (she's in large walk-in closet 10'x12' and out in my area would give her 400 more sq ft but I'm not gonna rush that. I have not tried to touch her, she'd probably run.
Do you think I should go ahead with drontal tonight (as long as it's been over 2 weeks)? I understand I should/will consult vet but since drontal was done prior, perhaps she needs second round? I know she's going through big changes. I think she's a good girl, needs spaying n TLC to help her fear and build confidence

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you give the vet a quick call? I think you're supposed to do the second dose by the third week so the worm eggs left over can't mature or something like that? Does anybody know? Yeah, I think they have to be feral straight from outside in a trap to get the discount. Once you bring them in and they warm up to you, they consider that your cat. That's what they told me anyway.

RLG

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When you say, very feral, what do you mean? I think she is 100 percent. I don't want to harm her with such a stressful change but it's rough out there with summer heat looming and all the other contentions.

RLG

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Can you give the vet a quick call? I think you're supposed to do the second dose by the third week so the worm eggs left over can't mature or something like that? Does anybody know? Yeah, I think they have to be feral straight from outside in a trap to get the discount. Once you bring them in and they warm up to you, they consider that your cat. That's what they told me anyway.
Funny-"once they warm up to you" lol

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
R RLG

Go ahead and give the drontal now to get rid of any more worms or larvae.

I suspect the diarrhea is from the worms. She may also need an antibiotic such as Albon to clear any bacterial infection in her gastro-intestinal tract. The rust color is likely a bit of blood from irritation from the worms.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When you say, very feral, what do you mean? I think she is 100 percent. I don't want to harm her with such a stressful change but it's rough out there with summer heat looming and all the other contentions.
I took a "very feral" cat to the shelter last month. She had a litter of four kittens four days later. She is extremely aggressive and will bite and scratch. She is not a good candidate for adoption. Sadly, ever. So she'll be released back outside to the colony after she's finished nursing and is spayed.

Her kittens will be domestic cats and be adopted into homes.

The kitten I trapped Wednesday was born feral, but I'm socializing him now at 5-6 weeks, so he also won't be considered "feral". He'll get adopted as domestic.

You could define "very feral" as a level of adoptability and friendliness versus a wild one who is aggressive.