Feral Cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

buffy2011

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Most of the time a broken bone will heal on it's own. As it's not an essential weight bearing bone, such as a leg bone, a broken tail won't slow the cat down too much. It will be painful and will probably heal crooked, but I doubt it's anything that would need amputation.

I think when vets do tail amputations it's because the tail is broken nearer the body and is dragging along the ground. Anything like that would obviously hamper a cat quite a lot and most likely get infected too. A broken bone near the end of the tail isn't so serious.

One feral I rescued had a "Historic break" in his back leg. He walked with a bit of a twist to his gait, but the vet said the bone had healed up so long ago there wasn't any need to go back in and try to straighten it.

So, yes, if you can trap him and get him to a vet that would be great but I don't think they'll need to amputate or PTS.
I'm just hoping it isn't in pain to long. But my other concern is the other cats tail. Both of my outside cats within a few weeks of each other had a tail problem. As soon as I can get a good picture of the other one I will send it out. I'm just hoping some how no one got ahold of them and tortured them. I wish they would just stay in my yard. I have three houses for them to sleep in and the feeding station that you saw in the pictures. I can't imagine anyone getting ahold of them, because I can't but some how it could of happened.

buffy2011

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
tail cat.JPG
cat tail.JPG
Yes, it looks broken. It must be painful. Can you take it to the vet?

Its been a few weeks and now I got a good picture of the cat with the tail I thought was broken. It seems to look pretty good now. I am glad it looks better. I still haven't gotten a good picture of the other one, she was gone for a week and I really started to wonder. She did return but can't get a picture of her tail. View attachment 230481 View attachment 230481

Last edited:

buffy2011

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, it looks broken. It must be painful. Can you take it to the vet?
Here are a few pictures of the cat now. Its tail looks pretty good now. I am really glad. Haven't been able to get a good look at the black on because she went missing for about a week, she is back now so I am watching her.

Attachments

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe it wasn't broken after all. I'm glad she is doing better. :)

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It does look a lot better, doesn't it? Could have been a bite, I guess. Cats hold their tails at an odd angle when they've been bitten.