Feral Cats In The Middle East, Advice Needed On Best Option To Care For Them.

floofy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I live in Dubai where there a lot of feral cats, very little animal rights, and not a network of shelters. I am an expat from Europe, about 14 months ago I started feeding a small group of feral cats on a very scruffy and dangerous building site near to the hotel where I live. There is little to eat, I feed them almost every, but not every day, its actually illegal to feed stray cats here. I will in Dubai another 8 months before I go home for good. I know I should have had them spayed and neutered, but I have been worried they will associate me with being trapped, and no longer trust me, also about them not being able to recuperate on a building site properly.

I am really worried about their welfare, particularly as they may well be left to fend for themselves, or worse they will be rounded up by the city authority and destroyed, their lives are quite stressful living on the building site, which is a real mess, and unsafe. They run alongside side me, and follow me to the edge of the busy road when I leave, I feel at moments like that they are looking to me for more than food. I feel guilty when I go out of town, and I avoid doing it.

I really would appreciate some advice, which of the following should I do ?

Option 1: take them in and try my best to tame them and get them homes. I can’t stroke them or handle them, but very slowly after a year I can get a bit closer to them, to be honest I don’t try too hard as I accept it has to be on their terms. My concerns are I don’t have a home here, I could move to an apartment, in order to take them in, but can it ever work taking 4 feral cats into a one a bedroom or studio apartment. Will I be able to tame them in a few months, and what will happen if I can’t tame them, or find them homes.
It is going to be very difficult for me to take 4 cats back to Europe. I am also out working 12 hours every day. Will they be mad at me for bringing them in doors? Saying that they are very sweet little things, so with fingers crossed I could get someone to adopt them.

Option 2: I get them spayed and try to find a colony that is managed that I can put them in, and then contribute to looking after them. I am really not sure these exist here though.

Option 3: I get them spayed and try to do my best for them whilst I am here, feeding them etc. but one day I will have to leave.

I appreciate people may judge or be mad at me for taking on a situation I have no idea how I can resolve, but please understand living here in the middle east is a very difficult and different situation.
I thought about asking the vet when I get them spayed if they believe if they have any chance of becoming pets.

Apologies for he long post, but any advise is very much appreciated.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well fed kitties have babies, so feeding them and not fixing them is not good. If you could find them a safe place to live, then fixing them and continuing to support them is a good option. But if you are not able to find a safe place for them, I like the idea of you getting an apartment and taking some of them in to tame. You might even find some that are tame already and just get them fixed and try and find homes for them. I have found many tame homeless cats to help.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I really would appreciate some advice, which of the following should I do ?
:hellosmiley: floofy, welcome to TCS!

We appreciate what you are doing right now for taking care of these cats and having a concern for them :clapcat:

Looking at the situation, I would go with option 3. Reason being is,
firstly, these cats are used to living at the building and probably not closed to humans except to you since you are feeding them and they sort of gotten used to you and also they cannot be petted by you though they follow you.

Secondly, your work schedule does not permit you to be with them most of the time if they stay indoors if you moved into an apartment and you need to find an apartment that welcome cats.

Thirdly, without your presence in the apartment, they may nit have enough time to be socialized and even when you think they are and you are able to have them adopted, they may freak out at the new home and later be abandoned again.

Having them spayed and neutered and release them back where they are used to be would be a better choice. They have already rough it out where they are and being released back to a familiar surrounding is less stressful for them. And after your tour of duty is done, you can leave them there the way you found them.
Many Strays and Ferals are neutered and spayed and returned to their original place and have made good recoveries. Anyway, you are there so that you can keep tab on their recoveries.

I know that the attachment for them will grow stronger each day but your choices are limited and it'll be sad to leave them behind.

Yes, they may hide from you initially after the being spayed and neutered, but they will recognize you as you are the one that bring them food.

Best is if you can find a trustworthy society to help you trap them and also check the local laws on feeding and doing Trap and Release (TNR) for cats so that you don't run foul of the law.

Lastly, unless after your stay and they have grown so used to you, maybe you can bring them home to Europe with you which is the best.

Feel free to ask questions as there are many experience cats here can offer good advice to you. Do keep us posted.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have spent my time, blood, sweat a tears getting kitties fixed just for somebody to come and kill them. It wasn't a complete waste of time and money, because I did save their kittens. It took quite an emotional toll on me though and it was a waste of money. So I would hate for you to work so hard to get all those kitties fixed, if you think they are going to be rounded up and slaughtered. The same thing is going to happen to my other colony unless I can get them moved. So my answer is going to differ from your typical TNR advocate. I suspect the attitude towards cats there is similar to the neighborhood I live in.

Psybug

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My heart breaks for you...i am in a similiar predicament...i would not relocate them... but get them neutered and spayed... its expensive to take a cat to europe and dont forget they have to be in quarantine which would add to trauma... maybe... so if there is a way to find someone willing to continue feeding them after you leave that might be the best option.