Feral cats help needed

Rdanes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone! This is my first time posting here. I have a situation with two cats that I haven’t been able to figure out. I’ve contacted local rescues and have just been told “trap them and take them” with no other advice. I’m hoping someone here can help me. I’ve been reading other posts and everyone seems so friendly and educated.
Long story short; we have two feral cats that we’ve been caring for at our house but we have to move at the end of December due to a crazy rent increase. We are moving about 8 to 9 hours away. We want to take these babies with us because they are so sweet and deserve to continue being cared for but we have no idea how to do so. I spend time with them every single evening, feeding them and petting them. They rub against me and purr. They meow like crazy and come around when I call them for food. But! They are still very skittish. No loud noises or fast movements etc. I can not pick them up. I have coaxed them to my back door with food and they will come investigate the situation but have yet to stay too long.
We of course will be leaving our house in the morning on our final day. Our car will be packed with all of our belongings and our three dogs. I am afraid to try to trap them and then one of them gets scared away and we are stuck with no options on what to do. I also am not a fan of the traps, I worry about them hurting themselves, being stressed etc. But if we did use traps and managed to catch them both it would be at night. I can’t imagine keeping them in the traps all night, and then for the entire next day to make our move. Plus no room in the car. I have looked for pet transport services but I do not trust them to understand how to handle feral cats. I want to keep their stress to an absolute minimum (and mine also if that’s possible. My stomach is already turning thinking about all of this lol) I was hoping to find someone in my area that would possibly assist me with trapping(if it came to that) and transport but unfortunately these cats are poisoned and mistreated around here so no help there.
Any advice would be so so appreciated! These babies deserve a happy and safe life. Thank you!

Attachments

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know you want to reduce stress but trapping can be sketchy and take more than one attempt. Traps can usually be borrowed (with a returnable deposit sometimes) from many Humane Societies, Animal controls or rescue/feral groups. Since these traps are used a lot by TNR types they are fairly safe. Not fool proof but some can be tripped by you once you see the kitty is safely away from the door. I would suggest that these cats are candidates for possible socialization. They may not become lap cats but may become great companions. I strongly suggest you start as soon as possible on trapping and/or socializing. It sounds like you are more than halfway there! They allow close contact? :yess: I don’t know if you have a small room you could lead them into but that might make things easier when you need to get them moved. Leaving them in a trap overnight is often done when rescues are being handled. Even second days. Put something soft in the bottom like puppy pads to absorb poop or urine and you should be able to skip food and water in as needed. If you can do it, a larger dog crate or cage might be very helpful. Once you do relocate them you will need to give them time to understand the new location and stay put or you risk them trying to go back to their original location. A garage, a bathroom or similar safe place, preferably with a window , would be a good place to let them get to know the area. Of course, the best thing would be to keep them as indoor kitties for lifelong safety . I have brought in many ferals and they did adjust well. Some of our members have moved or are currently moving ferals and strays. One thing I find very useful when luring a kitty is catnip.
Bravo to you for saving these two lives! You’re a kitty hero! Beautiful kitties!
Welcome to the site!:welcomesign::hellosmiley: Others will be along yo offer more info too.

poolcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Rdanes... it's good of you to be so concerned about these feral cats.

If you can accustom them to eating their meals inside cat carriers, that might work better than traps. The problem with trying to trap more than one cat is when the trap springs, it may frighten the second cat enough to keep him from being caught. Closing the door to a cat carrier can be done quietly. There should be time to do this before the end of the month.

One carrier for each cat. Start by putting their dishes outside the carriers close to the open doors. Then gradually at each feeding put the dishes a little further inside. The goal is to get the cats comfortable going all the way into the carriers to eat from dishes that are at the very back. Then just shut the doors to the carriers while they're eating, maybe the night before you have to leave. You could even feed them a little less at mealtimes and put treats inside the carriers during the day. (I used this process on a skittish outdoor cat who needed to be moved inside. It took about a week for him to go all the way in.)

As Jcatbird Jcatbird said, an extra large dog crate would be very useful -- for the trip and even before you leave. Once the cats are caught in the carriers, place them inside the crate before opening the carrier doors, and let the cats continue using the carriers to sleep in -- as long as the crate is large enough to hold two carriers and a litter box. (If the carriers have flat tops, one could be stacked on top of the other, with both tied or taped into place.) When it's time to go, the crate can be moved into the back of a car, and covered with a blanket to make it less stressful for the kitties. Spraying the underside of the blanket with Feliway might help, too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rdanes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the advice everyone! I have been busy trying to get the cats acclimated to their crates. I think I should be able to catch them when the times comes. They will sleep in them outside and they know that they now get fed there.
Unfortunately there is going to be a cold front moving into my area around Christmas. It will be around 28 degrees and I’m worried about the cats. They are used to it being much warmer than this in Florida. I’m contemplating catching them and bringing them inside for a few days before we head out but I’m so so nervous to see them stressed. I want to do what’s right for them and not what I feel is right for me. I keep second guessing myself and asking if maybe they are attached to their outdoor home and would be miserable living with me. 🤔😩
Anyway, the one obstacle we have yet to overcome is how to transport them to our new house! We do NOT have an SUV. We drive an Acura sedan and our 3 dogs will be in the backseat, all of our belongings will be in the trunk and whatever is left will also be in the back on the floor and wherever it can fit. We hired a moving company for furniture etc but the cost was way too extreme for them to take all of our stuff.
We’ve been brainstorming but no good ideas so far.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe You can rig a divider using pieces of wire shelving to make a “custom” cage. Measure the space and use heavy electrical tie wraps to fasten sections. Be sure that the upper parts are supported enough to prevent collapse. Something light, like a sheet to cover and keep the kitties calmer. If these kitties require vet care, any chance of getting them in , boarded for a day or two and coming back for them?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If possible I would suggest moving them inside before moving day. You could keep them in a dog crate with a small litter box. This would be just fine for a few days. I would think it would be very stressful trying to be sure you can get them on the morning of the move.

One issue I want you to be aware of is that when you get to your new destination, the cats will need to be confined for 3-6 weeks so that they can adapt to their new surroundings. This only pertains if the cats will still be outside cats. If you just set them outside upon arrival they will freak out and do everything in their power to go back to their old territory.

If you plan to try and make them indoor cats, then they will just need a room of their own to begin. The room should be cat proofed or empty if possible. If you have a spare bedroom, that would be great. One thing is to be sure that either there is no bed or the bed is flat on the floor. The cats will scurry under the bed and it's nearly impossible to get them out. Also being sure to block or remove other large furniture.

I moved almost 5 years ago. I had 3 indoor cats and a dog. I also had 3 outside feral cats that were 8, 5 and 4. I worked on getting them into carriers as they would not go into traps since they had all been trapped before. Two months before our move, I moved them inside. We cleared out a bedroom and had only a few of their outdoor items inside the room. They all did remarkedly well. The first few days were stressful, but they ate and used the litter boxes. A few weeks before the move, I had a mobile vet come to the house to give them vaccines and test for FELV and FIV. The vet was able to give me a light sedative for each cat so that on moving day it would be easier. Only 2 of the cats took the sedative, but they did well. My move was only an hour away. I decided the cats were going to be inside only from that time on. Living outside was so dangerous and stressful.

Now 5 years later and they are all doing so well. Indoor living has agreed with them. I have never regretted my decision to bring them along and have them become inside cats.

poolcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If the divider doesn't work in the back seat, could the cats travel in the front passenger seat? One of you would have to sit in the back with the dogs. A sedative for the cats would definitely be in order (and maybe for you, too ;)), especially if they aren't used to being around the dogs.

Rdanes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for all of the positive words and suggestions! You all are helping ease my anxiety a bit. They will be indoor only cats once we get to our new place. The drive is about 8-9 hours so I’m trying to mentally prepare myself for it. If we could leave them at a vets office and come back for them I would but it’s just too far of a drive.
We have decided that we can try to fit them in the front seat, and I will squish into the back with the dogs.
A few more questions that we have; can they travel in the same crate? We have a medium sized dog crate that they are using right now. They can both fit inside but no litter box can fit. When we take them into the house before we move we were planning to put them into the large crate with a litter box. But traveling in the medium crate would probably be easier than two separate crates.

We have two options for them at our new house. A bedroom (with carpet) that is empty for now, or a large “shed” with electricity and double loft spaces. Front and back porch. It’s sort of like a mini house. I’m wondering which space will make it easier for them to adjust. If they used the shed, we would have to eventually move them into the main house.

Last question is what supplies do I need initially? After spending all day driving plus the night before in the crate (or a few days depending on when we are able to bring them in) I want them to be comfortable when I finally let them out. I’m wanting to get a cat tree, toys, beds etc but not sure if they need everything right away or not.
Thanks everyone!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As long as the cats get along, having them in the same crate will be fine. Get some puppy pee pads ( I think you can find a pack of 4 at the Dollar Tree) and line the crate with them. So if they pee or throw up, the pee pads can easily be removed if needed. Be sure to cover the crate. This will help to keep them calm.

I would put them directly into the bedroom. Put a tarp under the large crate to protect the carpet. I like to use Dr. Elsey's cat attract litter. It's kind of expensive, but it works so quickly to get cats to use the litter box. I would keep the cage covered too at least for the first day or so.

A cat tree near the window would be great. Just be sure that the window is securely closed. Once they are out of the cage, be sure blinds or drapes are secured too.

No need to rush to buy them supplies at first. Let things settle and then gradually add to the room. When you are ready to allow them out of the cage, you might want 2 litter boxes. Just be sure they cannot hide under a bed or other large furniture. Yet having a cozy blanket to sleep in would be nice. If you have any of their items from outside they might appreciate the scent since it will smell like them.

You seem to have a great plan!!! Lots of deep breaths. I remember my catching day. I thought my heart was going to leap out of my chest. Once I closed them into the bedroom, I needed to cry. It was a cry of happiness, relief and just a release!

Rdanes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone! I just wanted to update and ask a few quick questions.
We made it! They did amazingly well. Nobody got sick in the car and they’ve even adapted to using their litter boxes already. They’ve been eating since day 1 even after a stressful 9 hours in the car.
Unfortunately, I think one of them maybe be sick. They are acting totally fine minus being a bit scared but I have found a strange poop in their box. I don’t even know how to explain it. It is opaque and beige/gray in color and liquid but thick. Almost like wet cement. Also there was a small amount of blood on the side of one of the litter boxes.
I am trying to find a feral friendly vet right now. What I am seeing are a lot of TNR programs where cats must be in traps to be brought it. They have already been through a TNR program. So they just need a wellness check ASAP. We are in northeast Georgia but can get to Atlanta in an hour. If anyone happens to know of somewhere I can take them please let me know! I will continue to search on my own. Trying not to cry as I type this 😭
Thanks everyone!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is happy news that you made it!!!!
You might look for a feral friendly mobile vet. I used one when I first brought my feral boys inside. It was much easier than getting them to a vet. One thing is to be sure you take in the poop sample. They could have parasites from living outside as well as if they were hunters.

If they are acting ok and eating well, it's not a huge rush. Yet they should be seen by a vet if they get worse or act sick.

Keep us posted!

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi R Rdanes !

Someone who has already posted a couple of times above might just be able to offer ideas/options........local knowledge can make all the difference!

Let's see if Jcatbird Jcatbird might be able to connect.............

Meantime, relax, what you've described doesn't sound like absolute emergency material. (yeah, I know it's easy for me to say!)

Rdanes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We are still waiting on a vet visit. The holidays made things a bit difficult and the closest option to us is 2 hours away. The kitties have been feeling better so we are nervous to put them back into the car for another long trip so soon. I am thinking that their stomachs were upset due to stress. Hopefully we will be able to get an appointment within a week or two though. I’m very closely monitoring them in the meantime.
Good news though! There has been a recent development on their history. We were able to get into contact with a woman from our old neighborhood that knew the cats! A stroke of luck for sure since the entire time we lived there and asked around we were unable to find any information. It turns out that the cats are 10 and 11 years old!!! The black and white cat has been passed around from neighbor to neighbor to care for it since it was a kitten. I do not know why it was never taken inside in all these years but was told that it (Lulu) has suffered some serious injuries over the years, abuse from other neighbors, and has had a very rough time. We were also told that Lulu had a “partner” which thankfully turned out to be the other cat that we brought with us (Lion boy). We were told that they have no know health issues and the woman we spoke to was so very relieved to learn that they will finally have a safe and happy home. It was a wonderful conversation and such a happy ending(or beginning in my opinion) for these beautiful souls.
I will continue to update after seeing the vet. I’m also looking for tips on enrichment ideas for them. They have no interest in toys and I worry about them being bored since they had so much stimulation when they were living outdoors.
Thanks!