Feral cat with big chunk of hair hanging

Holliman Jane

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can’t get close to him, but I’m so baffled as to why his chest hair looks like this?! It almost looks like someone took an electric razor and stopped mid way. Anyone know what this could be? I hope his skin isn’t hurt. I’ve included some pictures. Sorry they aren’t the best. Possibly cat fight?

Attachments

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Possibly he had a big mat in his fur and has pulled it part way off himself. Some of my long haired cats do that, then I have to get the scissors and cut their fur for them.

Does the skin look red or inflamed underneath? There is a risk that he could break the skin if he is pulling a mat out, but usually they just pull it off without hurting themselves.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's either a mat or a catfight and he lost some skin too. I would bet on a big mat. There's not a whole lot you can do except feed him and make sure he has the strength to pull it off or heal. It's heartbreaking. I have a young cat right now that has an abscess on the side of his head. Thank goodness he is taking antibiotic I am mixing in a lickable treat. All you can do is either trap him and take him to the vet, or love him and let him be. Bless you for being there for him......