Feral cat/stray cat? NONSTOP trilling

hmack224

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay so,
This is a bit of a long story so get ready - I am a student in college and have lived in the same house for two years. There are many, many stray/feral cats around my off-campus housing but there were two that I saw consistently around my house during my time living there; a small grey tortoise shell and a large spotted tabby. Long story short, by my second year I was feeding them consistently on a daily basis to the point where the tabby lived outside my house 24/7 in the outdoor cat shelter I made him and always came out when called, and the tortoise shell would stick around sunbathing with the other one during daylight hours (also always came when called) and would leave to go back to where I presumed he lived at night. The tabby (who I named Keeta) was 100% domesticated and familiar with human interaction because he was already neutered and so friendly (though it took me months to get him to trust me completely), but the tortoise shell (named Lavender) I can't pin down at all. I trapped them both and took them to get vetted. Both are males, Lavender is intact, Keeta is not. Keeta is 3 years old, and Lavender is around 10. Lavender was what I presumed to be a feral cat because he is so skittish, even after me feeding him for a year now. But he lets me pet him, sleeps on my bed, and comes up to me for food... but he doesn't necessarily "enjoy" human affection. As in, he doesn't rub against me like he does to Keeta who he is clearly bonded with, doesn't purr when I pet him, but also doesn't run away when I reach out to touch his head or face and he also sometimes leans into my hand and closes his eyes when I pet his cheeks. I had never heard him purr before until the other night when I woke up to him purring, trilling and sniffing my face. He then laid down a few inches from my head. I had no idea what that meant, or if the purring was directed to me or Keeta because Keeta was right next when this happened as well. Lavender also trills, NONSTOP. And when I say nonstop, I mean nonstop. He does it for everything - when he gets up from a nap, when he walks around, when he goes to use the litterbox, when he goes to eat, and even when he is wailing because he smells the unspayed feral cats outside (his appointment to get fixed is this Wednesday, thank goodness). I know trilling is supposed to be a form of expressing affection but it seems like he uses it for everything. He also talks to Keeta only in trills, even when they are quarreling... and I thought that cats only were vocal to humans. But he is so vocal! Especially for being feral? I can't tell if he's had human contact before, he's very confusing.

To sum it up, I can't tell if this cat hates me, hates his life with me or if he is actually showing signs of being comfortable and happy. My plan was to get him vaxed, fixed, and re-released because he was feral, but he tested positive for FIV, has absolutely no teeth left, is blind in one eye, and has bladder issues. The vet told me herself that she didn't think he'd make it another winter outside due to his age and health issues (he was also getting really beat up by other cats in the area and would show up with wounds very frequently), and I graduated so I can't be there anymore to make sure he's fed and sheltered. So, next best thing was trying to see what I could do to socialize him or if it was possible at all. He's come a lot farther than I ever had hopes of, but I can't tell what the best course of options is for him. I really do love this cat, and I've spent so much time and energy on him. I just want him to be happy and comfortable. I spray feliway spray everywhere and he is currently on gabapentin for pain (bladder infection) and anxiety management while he settles in. He also eats, drinks, grooms himself and uses the litterbox normally. I've had him indoors for a little over a week now. Can anyone provide any insight or advice on what his behavior means? Or how I can make him happier and more comfortable?

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow, for being indoors for only a week they are both doing incredible! When I hear feral unsocialized, I think of a cat hiding or attacking.

Lavender sounds like a slightly nervous house cat. Coming up on your bed near your face is a sign of trust. If he didn't run when you woke, spoke or moved even more so. With his age and disability he wouldn't last long outside without you. He may never be a lap cat but he is adjusting wonderfully.

My Sqeeker is a naturally nervous vocal cat. After 15yrs he still announces (trills) many of his movements. It's just his personality.

Congratulations you are the cat parent of 2 lovely cats.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I agree with Hellenww Hellenww ! These guys are lucky to have you! And it sounds like Lavender in particular knows this. I can give you the links to some TCS articles just in case there are some tips/info in them, but it seems to me you probably don't need them! The second article is more for finding ways to entertain your cats, since you want to try to make Lavender happier and more comfortable - not suggesting he is bored.
The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside – TheCatSite Articles
Bored Cat? What Cat Owners Need To Know (including 10 Actionable Tips) – TheCatSite Articles
A Feral Cat Or A Stray Cat? How To Tell The Difference – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hmack224

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much for the great advice! He does spend a lot of his time hiding under my bed, which was entirely expected, but he does come out intermittently for periods of time and when I crawl under there with him he doesn't run away. He does, at other times, run at my presence, or if I approach the wrong way (doing the feral cat crouch-run), but other times sits right next to me on my windowsill while I do work on my bed (like a foot or two away from me) and couldn't care less if I reach over to pet him. He even lays down when I pet him most times. He also cries frequently and is always at the window wanting to be let out which makes me feel like such a bad person :( but I know its for his own good to be indoors now. I want to keep him entertained and happy indoors, so thank you so much for the advice with that. If anyone else can give any advice on enrichment/stimulation activities for him that would be great! I already have a bunch of cardboard scratchers, regular scratchers, a tunnel, lots of fake mice, catnip, catnip oil, and an automatic track toy but the only thing they seem to use at all are the cardboard scratchers. I also put on cat TV for them which Keeta loves but Lavender could care less about! haha

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You might try Da Bird if you think that they, especially Lavender, is up to it.

Official Go Cat Feather Toys Website

From having brought in only ferals, possibly a few strays along the way, I can tell you that both are beyond happy to have found you. While it is true that the stereotypical feral is one who eschews all human company, will come for food but remain distanced (even unfriendly) to the feeder, many have this other side to them given the chance. Every cat I currently own, indoor only, was a feral.
Lavender definitely does not hate you; his behavior around you is only somewhat distanced, but a lot of it shows that he completely trusts you and is happy to be with you.

Some of the uneasiness of being inside will end when he is neutered, as the females outside will not be appealing as they are now.

His continual trilling is interesting because true ferals as normally completely silent. They are taught by their mothers that they are prey animals and that silence is one way to protect themselves. When they are brought inside, they often will start to vocalize with their owner, but their voices are often "off" from what a standard domesticated cat would sound like. Lavender may have more of a story than you know.

It is very kind of you to rescue these two. I agree that Lavender, especially, would not make it back on the streets. He has too many strikes against him, even with a feeder. The fate of older, sick cats on the street is grim. Even Keeta would not do well, despite his younger age. Please let us know how it goes as you continue on with them.

BellaBlue82

Sadie rules, Julian drools, my boys rule heaven ❤
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aw, too cute! I agree, I think Lavender loves you but is just shy. He sounds similar to my boy Nico. We frequented a sandwich shop a few blocks from our house back in 2008, when the owner asked "do you want a cat?" They were feeding some ferals that lived near them, and one in particular seemed to come around a lot. He was skittish but affectionate - didn't pur, but trilled loudly. I managed to finally trap him and take him to the vet. The poor guy was really sick and had a ton of issues, but we eventually got him healthier. It took him a while to warm up to us, I'd say maybe around 6 months to a year? To this day his nickname is Trilly lol because he trills ALL the time at everything!! Maybe it's a street cat thing? 😉

dbc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's so wonderful that you took in both boys! I know they must feel so fortunate to have found you. It's really rough for cats in the elements, even if it's all they've ever known.

I'm no expert, but I do have a little experience with ferals. I have two males who are indoor only. Both FIV. It took the first several months to stop glaring at me. I was able to pet him after about four months. He's now a complete cuddler, and loves to be held and give hugs. The second one was in worse shape, like Lavender. It's been about 16 months now, and I can finally pet and groom him, and sometimes pick him up. It was a year before I was able to touch him.

My point is, it sounds like your boy is in great shape! He wouldn't lay next to you if he didn't trust you. It's also very encouraging that you can pet him already. Maybe after he's neutered he'll chill with the trilling a little, but it could also be that he likes to talk :)

hmack224

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for your encouraging words! I wanted to attach a few pictures/videos of the two of them so you can see them for yourselves. I feel like everyone has to have a visual now! haha Screen Shot 2022-05-30 at 7.36.06 PM.png Screen Shot 2022-05-30 at 7.38.35 PM.png Screen Shot 2022-05-30 at 7.40.01 PM.png Screen Shot 2022-05-30 at 7.34.35 PM.png Screen Shot 2022-05-30 at 7.41.04 PM.png Screen Shot 2022-05-30 at 7.41.37 PM.png

BellaBlue82

Sadie rules, Julian drools, my boys rule heaven ❤
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for your encouraging words! I wanted to attach a few pictures/videos of the two of them so you can see them for yourselves. I feel like everyone has to have a visual now! hahaView attachment 421908View attachment 421909View attachment 421910View attachment 421911View attachment 421912View attachment 421913
Omg they are totally adorable!!! I'm glad you were able to take them both in, they have each other and they're in a nice warm loving home with you now. 🥰

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had never heard him purr before until the other night when I woke up to him purring, trilling and sniffing my face. He then laid down a few inches from my head. I had no idea what that meant, or if the purring
Awww…congratulations, you have been accepted into the Pride. 😊 Looks like in the photos that these cats have hit the jackpot, and they know it. New surroundings are stressful, but being safe inside has got to feel great, especially to Lavender who gets beat up. The only thing he needs at his age and health, is a nice window (which he has) and a little playtime. Having his support buddy is huge for him.

Incidentally, Keeta is probably who taught him how to trill. Cats learn to vocalize to humans (as Keeta has done) but can also learn it from other domestic cats. When he copied Keeta’s trill, he has gotten affection/acceptance from Keeta, so kept doing it. Unfortunately, this probably worked against him when dealing with other ferals. Acting tough and hissy is what keeps other ferals from beating on you.

It sounds like you have moved since? Even so, when you are able, please do contact whatever rescue organizations there are for that area, and let them know about the large feral population there. Seems like it could use a good TNR program.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Wow, Lavender is such an unusual colour! When I first read your post I thought you must have made a mistake, because tortie male cats are very rare.

I've never seen a male cat quite like him before.

:loveeyes:

They both look very happy, you've given them a wonderful home.

hmack224

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all,

A quick update- I am beside myself today. I have been staying with my boyfriend and his roommate with the two cats ever since I caught them (the rent on my own house ended much earlier than his and I had no where else to go, as my parent's house has 4 cats already and my mom was not willing to add another two into the mix, especially in a small house with Lavender who is unfixed and yowls all night long). Today, my boyfriend's landlord and a cleaning woman were due to show up at 10 am, and because the landlord was obviously not notified of the two cats living temporarily in the house, they had to be removed while she was there. I had to get both cats into carriers and only had to bring them downstairs into my boyfriends bedroom while the room was being cleaned, but getting Lavender into a carrier was much more difficult that expected. I have gotten him into a carrier two times before for vet visits already, but I have always given him 100 mg of gabapentin two hours before because he is incredibly stressed at the vet. Because getting him into the carrier this time wasn't going to result in a vet visit, I didn't give him the gabapentin before I tried to catch him because it makes him very wobbly and uncoordinated - I just feel so bad when he acts so out of it and sedated and didn't want to do that to him unless absolutely necessary - but it made things terribly difficult during the process of capturing him. When I get him into the carrier, I usually throw a blanket over him and he gives up and goes limp, but this time he really put up a fight and he was TERRIFIED. He peed immediately when I tried to initially catch him (which isn't totally out of the norm for him - he's done it before and he pees when he's being examined at the vet due to stress). He also fell a few times off of the window sill while I was trying to throw the blanket over him, which is only about 2 ft off the ground, but now I'm worried he got hurt in the process of me trying to capture him because he is acting so strange. Ever since I let him back out into the room, he has stayed in the far corner underneath the bed and I haven't seen him come out once (to be fair, I did stay out of the room as much as I could so that he could have space to destress and calm down so I wasn't there for long periods of time). Even on his first day indoors he didn't act like this, but maybe that was because he hadn't associated getting trapped with my presence because it was an automatic humane trap.

He usually takes food right from my hand and eats right in front of me (especially because I have to watch him take his medication), but he won't even sniff food or treats if I am nearby now. However, when I leave the room and come back, the food/treats are gone. I have no idea what to do because I feel like he has either completely lost his trust in me, or he is injured and I can't tell because he won't even walk around in front of me. He has an appointment tomorrow morning at 8 am to be fixed, and the thought of having to go through catching him again makes me sick to my stomach. I soaked my entire room in feliway spray, and just gave him his daily dose of 100 mg of gabapentin so I'm hoping that makes him more at ease tonight. I also haven't heard him once today, which is so unlike him because he is so abnormally vocal. I can't stop crying, I feel so guilty. What do I do??? Please help!

dbc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so sorry! I've been through exactly what you describe. I felt awful, too. But he's going to be fine! Just give him time. Going to the vet has to happen, so there's nothing you can do to keep him entirely happy. I have four cats and two dogs, and they all hate going. He'll forgive you once you give him time and consistent love.

My Sullivan is (about) a 7 year old feral with a fractured elbow from an old injury. When I would try to catch him (also with a blanket), he'd hurt himself trying to get away from me. Once he tried to climb up the blinds and fell hard, and another time he fell down a 6ft + cat tree. It was awful.

I had to get more and more creative when trying to catch him so he wouldn't get hurt again. We were both extremely stressed. The blanket never worked for me, except for one time when he was hiding behind one and I lucked out. I read that some people use pillow cases, which was a fail for me as well.

A couple of things helped me in getting him into a carrier, though really it's a fluid process because anything can happen. But it can be done!

Be sure to get up extra early and try to get him when you first get up. He'll be okay in the carrier for a while....they're used to hiding for long periods of time. Just be sure if it's covered that he has good air circulation.

If he hides under your bed, you can block it off tonight using cardboard. Be sure it's secure everywhere, because they're expert at getting into small spaces, and if they're scared they can barrel through it.

What worked best for me was to use a cardboard box that I could place over top of him if he was in the right spot. I had a precut door in it that fit his carrier opening as closely as possible. I had the door taped shut so he couldn't get out before I had the carrier in place. If I managed to trap him in the box, I'd place his covered carrier in front of the taped door, untape the door, and keep the carrier tight against the opening so he couldn't get through. Then I'd tap on the cardboard box and he'd run into the carrier. You just have to keep an eye on the sides so he doesn't weasel his way out. You'll need to think your plan through ahead of time taking into account your carrier.

Once with my other feral male I got very lucky when he jumped inside of a standing lamp box, which happened to be the same sized opening as his carrier. I slowly lowered the lamp and put his carrier against it before it reached the ground, and he went right in.

What I did at another time was have a sealed box with a blanket in it, with holes on two sides...just large enough for him to get into and hide. They are more likely to get into a space if there's another escape route. I put this hiding box out the night before. When trying to escape from you, he might run in there. If he does, have another box ready to place over top of it to trap him inside. It can't be too big or he can get out. You don't need to transfer him to another carrier if he's secure in there. I took mine to the vet like that.

You can work with the situation as it presents itself as long as you don't despair, and think things through calmly. If he finds a spot where you aren't trying to get him at that moment, he's unlikely to move. Which gives you time to think it through and work with what you've got. I learned to have a cardboard box at the ready with a precut taped door. I made it ahead of time and not in front of him.

I hope this all made sense. I can get a bit overtly wordy.

hmack224

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much
I'm so sorry! I've been through exactly what you describe. I felt awful, too. But he's going to be fine! Just give him time. Going to the vet has to happen, so there's nothing you can do to keep him entirely happy. I have four cats and two dogs, and they all hate going. He'll forgive you once you give him time and consistent love.

My Sullivan is (about) a 7 year old feral with a fractured elbow from an old injury. When I would try to catch him (also with a blanket), he'd hurt himself trying to get away from me. Once he tried to climb up the blinds and fell hard, and another time he fell down a 6ft + cat tree. It was awful.

I had to get more and more creative when trying to catch him so he wouldn't get hurt again. We were both extremely stressed. The blanket never worked for me, except for one time when he was hiding behind one and I lucked out. I read that some people use pillow cases, which was a fail for me as well.

A couple of things helped me in getting him into a carrier, though really it's a fluid process because anything can happen. But it can be done!

Be sure to get up extra early and try to get him when you first get up. He'll be okay in the carrier for a while....they're used to hiding for long periods of time. Just be sure if it's covered that he has good air circulation.

If he hides under your bed, you can block it off tonight using cardboard. Be sure it's secure everywhere, because they're expert at getting into small spaces, and if they're scared they can barrel through it.

What worked best for me was to use a cardboard box that I could place over top of him if he was in the right spot. I had a precut door in it that fit his carrier opening as closely as possible. I had the door taped shut so he couldn't get out before I had the carrier in place. If I managed to trap him in the box, I'd place his covered carrier in front of the taped door, untape the door, and keep the carrier tight against the opening so he couldn't get through. Then I'd tap on the cardboard box and he'd run into the carrier. You just have to keep an eye on the sides so he doesn't weasel his way out. You'll need to think your plan through ahead of time taking into account your carrier.

Once with my other feral male I got very lucky when he jumped inside of a standing lamp box, which happened to be the same sized opening as his carrier. I slowly lowered the lamp and put his carrier against it before it reached the ground, and he went right in.

What I did at another time was have a sealed box with a blanket in it, with holes on two sides...just large enough for him to get into and hide. They are more likely to get into a space if there's another escape route. I put this hiding box out the night before. When trying to escape from you, he might run in there. If he does, have another box ready to place over top of it to trap him inside. It can't be too big or he can get out. You don't need to transfer him to another carrier if he's secure in there. I took mine to the vet like that.

You can work with the situation as it presents itself as long as you don't despair, and think things through calmly. If he finds a spot where you aren't trying to get him at that moment, he's unlikely to move. Which gives you time to think it through and work with what you've got. I learned to have a cardboard box at the ready with a precut taped door. I made it ahead of time and not in front of him.

I hope this all made sense. I can get a bit overtly wordy.
Thank you so much, your response made me feel so much better that I wasn't alone in this. Ugh, it's so hard because you love them so much and you can't tell them you're just trying to help. Everyone is asleep in the house right now so I can't make the cardboard box at the moment, but when I wake up to give him his pre-vet gabapentin at 5:30, I will. It's tough with the layout of this bedroom - it's quite small. The queen bed takes up most of the room, and there is a small walk-in closet that I use to put their litterboxes in where I was hoping he would use as a hiding spot when (or if) I could get him out from under the bed. However, his favorite (and only) hiding spot is underneath the bed, which is obviously a challenge for me as I can't move very freely under there and when I get him out from underneath it, he just cries in fear... doesn't run into the closet or under the desk, just stays out in the open and cries until I wedge myself out from underneath the bed, at which point he crawls back under and the whole cycle repeats itself. Blocking off the bed would have been a great idea, but I can't even get him out from under the bed without causing him extreme stress at this point, as he's basically glued to the furthest, darkest corner under the bed. I crawled under there in an attempt to make amends and pet him tonight, but when I got closer he pressed himself so hard against the corner I would've have to pry him off the wall - I gave up and gave him his space because he's had more than enough stress for today. I am hoping his gabapentin helps with all these complications when I wake up tomorrow. Thank you again, I will do my best with your advice!

dbc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know about the struggles of getting them out from under the bed. I had to use a broom once to get one out, then she'd run right back under as soon as I got up.

I agree, it would be easier to get him if he's in the closet rather than under the bed. If he manages to run in there, I'd shut it right away, think of a plan, then go in and shut the door behind me so he can't get out. Do you have gloves or something to protect you? It can get a little dicey and you could get hurt.

The best route for me was to trap them while they couldn't see it coming rather than grab them directly. But again, it's fluid. I do what I can as things change.

Worst comes to worst, you'll just need to cancel the appointment, give yourselves a break and regroup. You'll have more time then to devise and prepare a plan.

I know it's heartbreaking when they become suspicious of you and recoil. But unfortunately you have to take him in at some point, so he's going to be unhappy with you sooner or later. He doesn't understand yet that you're trying to help him get healthier. Give him space and he'll eventually start to come around again. Go about your days keeping a distance so he knows you respect his space. Try not to look at him very much....he may be more comfortable if he thinks he's just a part of the background. When they're scared they don't like to be noticed. But you can talk to him even when you're not looking at him. :)

I'm hoping things work out quickly! You're doing a wonderful thing, so don't despair!

dbc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I forgot to mention, if at some point you try to block off the bed, make sure to give him at least one other hiding spot option (where he'll be easier to get if needed). They need safe places to become invisible. 😌

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
This is not as unusual as you think and certainly not something that only happens to cats like Lavender. TCS is full of posts from members whose cats don't want to be put in a carrier, greatly overreact, seem hurt when they probably are not, and then hide for days. They do settle down eventually. Your miscalculation about putting him in the carrier without the gabapentin was logical. It seemed it might work and he would have one less dose of a sedative.

Please let us know what happened at the vet's.

hmack224

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone! I am glad to say that after his dose of gabapentin this morning, I was able to catch him very easily. I dosed him around 5:45 am so it would kick in in time for me to start trying to catch him around 7:20. I crawled under the bed with him and sat for a few minutes just petting him, and then I gradually covered him with the blanket whilst petting him. He was so tired he couldn't care less about the blanket. I think the moving around of everything the day before (because I had to take out all of my furniture and things from the room before the landlord arrived) really messed him up and exacerbated his anxiety symptoms. He was already on edge as I was moving everything out of the room so I'm sure he didn't appreciate me messing up his entire environment right in front of his eyes. I brought him in for a neuter and a full bloodwork panel to check on all his organ functions, and I got both great news and some not-so-great news.

The good news was that the surgery went great, and his bloodwork came back looking fantastic! However, they did find that his bladder was extremely full during surgery. The first time I brought him into the vet for vaccines, they made the same comment about his bladder being full. I had brought him in again last week because I noticed his peeing pattern was quite abnormal. He would go to the litterbox, pee, and then go back and forth a few times. My worry was that he had a blockage, so I monitored him for the night to see if he needed to go to the emergency clinic, but he was still producing urine so I brought him straight in the next morning to his normal vet. They told me his urine had a lot of red blood cells which was normally a sign of inflammation and that could be a result of his recent stress. They didn't seem to believe he had an infection, but sent him home with an antibiotic injection just to be safe, and an anti-inflammatory injection for comfort (he's also on 100 mg of gabapentin twice a day for pain and anxiety). They also put him on a prescription diet (Hills c/d Multicare Stress Urinary Care) and he has been eating this since then along with some blue buffalo wet cat food. His peeing habits did improve after the antibiotic injection and special diet, but he still goes back and forth a couple times when he pees (not close to as frequently as before though).

So, during surgery they basically emptied his bladder and got a ton of urine (I forget how much they said.. either 100 ml or 1000 ml - either way the vet said it was a lot for a kitty). The vet also said that she could feel a few tiny stones when she was feeling around, so that means he definitely has bladder stones. Her concern is that he will get blocked either due to the stones not shrinking, due to the inflammation of his bladder as a result of stress, or both reasons combined. This is an expensive and dangerous issue if it comes down to an emergency blockage and I am a college student on a college budget. I already spent over $500 in the past two weeks alone on vet visits, and almost $1000 a few weeks prior on what used to be the third cat of the group with Lavender and Keeta. His name was BlueBerry and he was a beautiful 3 year old, purebred Russian Blue who was the sweetest and most affectionate kitty. We had only had him for a few days; my roommate fell in love with him and was planning on taking him home with her once she graduated but he suddenly became very lethargic and stopped eating so we rushed him to the emergency vet - He tested positive for FLV and after some more tests, we discovered his organs were shutting down and he would most likely not make it through the night. We had no choice but to give him the peace of passing quietly. It was so shocking and devastating and we had no idea we would be spending so much money just to have to say goodbye - our hope was that the expenses would pay off in finding him a treatment plan for him to live at least few more peaceful months indoors because he was just so happy to be inside. We were so upset we couldn't give him a little more time of being spoiled rotten but we were happy he got to experience a few great days at least.

Anyway, back to Lavender (sorry I get so sidetracked)- I don't have much money to spare for many more medical issues, let alone another trip to the emergency clinic which depending on the severity of his condition, could require overnight stays (the vet gave me a fair warning about this). I genuinely don't even know how I would come up with the money to do that for him if he needs it, but I know it's out of the question not to do it if he needs it. The vet didn't give me much advice on how to deal with the stones. She basically told me to keep on doing what I am doing and hope for the best. But does anyone else have any advice at this point? I am willing to try anything to avoid another trip to the emergency clinic.

P. S. Lavender is doing great post-op - walking around (toppling over every once in a while but I know thats normal! haha), and was starving as soon as he came out of the carrier. I fed him a little food and he handled it great, so I gave him a little more and I'm waiting to see how he handles that. I attached a picture of beautiful BlueBerry too just so everyone can admire how gorgeous he was :) Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 5.41.30 PM.png Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 5.41.37 PM.png Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 5.41.44 PM.png Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 5.41.51 PM.png Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 5.41.59 PM.png Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 5.43.41 PM.png

dbc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So happy you got him there without any physical or emotional trauma! :redheartpump:

I'm so sorry to hear about BlueBerry. That is such a tough decision. But you did all you could, and made him feel very loved and safe for at least a little while before he had to leave. You made his last days here as comfortable as possible. He was a truly beautiful boy 🌞

I'm afraid I know nothing about stones, but there may be some good advice somewhere on these boards?

Very thankful Lavender is doing okay after surgery! You did great :)