Feral Cat Questions!

DeesCats

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Usually a hard sided cat carrier is used in the dog crate as well as a small litter box.

When I adopt an outdoor cat or one that has been TNR'd and is still in a trap I just set up the large crate with litter box and cat carrier and then release the trapped cat into the crate which has worked well for me. I did make a temporary door from flexible vinyl fencing with a hole cut in it slightly larger than the trap for one particular cat though.

I do use a small bungee cord with hooks to keep the cat carrier open so the cat can hide in it. When it's time to feed, clean litter, etc. make sure the cat is in the carrier, unlatch the bungee hook and use a long heavy stick (I use PVC pipe) and stick it through the bars of the cage to close the carrier door and then perpendicular to the carrier to keep the carrier door closed. Open the crate door, making sure the cat is still in the carrier and then latch the carrier door securely.

Check out the article Feral cat set up long term for a better explanation of what I wrote above.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
My plan is to see how he acclimates and that will determine if I try to keep him indoors or release him in a day or two.
Acclimation is not a day or two thing. It'll take awhile and now is the best time to be close to him and help him acclimate to being indoors as he is still a little groggy (anesthesia will wear off in a around two days time) and recovering from the neutering surgery.

You've spent the effort of getting him indoors and doing all the necessary check ups at the vet and please keep him indoors which is the safest place for him to be. Please do not release him back to the outdoors.

If you have a safe room for him, you don't have to place the litterbox inside the crate. You can leave it a few feet from the create so that he can come out and use it and also this will help him gain confidence in coming out of the crate and getting use to the room.
You can let him eat in the crate for the first week or so and slowly move the plate inch by inch out of there crate so that at the end, you can have him eating outside the crate and slowly wean him of hiding in the crate.

Small steps will have big results. Don't give up!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lynne8832

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all!
Monty is in his crate doing great - he is eating, using the litter box and seems very comfortable - he is recovering very well!
I reached my hand in and he sniffed it and seemed ok, but then he swatted at it and scratched my hand - I'm sure he is scared and I don't blame him... I would be too!
Do I need to worry about rabies transmission if I am interacting with him and he scratches me? He got his vaccine today, but for the past few weeks he has been showing up with random wounds (wounds to his eye, lacerations on his ears, limping, etc.) so I am worried that he could have been exposed to rabies and therefore, I am being exposed to rabies.
Is this a common situation, or do most strays have injuries of unknown origin like this and they are usually not due to rabies exposure?
Thanks you all again for your help!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Thank you all!
Monty is in his crate doing great - he is eating, using the litter box and seems very comfortable - he is recovering very well!
I reached my hand in and he sniffed it and seemed ok, but then he swatted at it and scratched my hand - I'm sure he is scared and I don't blame him... I would be too!
B23897A4-51D3-4BD3-9BCF-7803C930DEA6$L0$001~photo.GIF

That's great to hear that he's recovering well and eating and using the liter box.

For him to sniff your hand, do not show an open palm. Always present your hand in a formed fist. A formed fist represents or look like a cat's head and cats like to do head bumps. So formed your hand into a fist and let him sniff your fist. Just take sure your fist don't have scents of other cats or perfume or any scents that will throw him off. Best is if you have a towel that has his scents, rub your fist with it then let him sniff your fist.

Progress slowly with the fist presentation and let him get used to it before you try to pet him.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all!
Do I need to worry about rabies transmission if I am interacting with him and he scratches me? He got his vaccine today, but for the past few weeks he has been showing up with random wounds (wounds to his eye, lacerations on his ears, limping, etc.) so I am worried that he could have been exposed to rabies and therefore, I am being exposed to rabies.
Is this a common situation, or do most strays have injuries of unknown origin like this and they are usually not due to rabies exposure?
Thanks you all again for your help!
tabbytom tabbytom took the words right out if my mouth- a day or 2 or 3 or 4 is not going to tell you anything at all and should not be a determining factor to help you decide what to do ... it takes at least 30 days for an outdoor kitty to " begin" to acclimate & establish his new environment - to feel familiar enough to consider exploring and expanding his new territory in which he will know its safe.....

It's a simple decision and a not so simple task at hand but one that has tremendous rewards in the end- so the question is " Do I want to provide the beautiful being with a forever home"," am I willing to be patient for him to move at his own pace and just LOVE him? Because,honestly- thats all it takes.....;it's not a matter of " will he,can he,,is he,does he".....he's only known survival and has never known anything else- he's never known what a good life is because he's never been given the opportunity to be what he actually is..... and that is a domestic animal,it's in his DNA.

If you don't know how to go about helping him along for an easy transition we are here to help you each step of the way- it's up to you,just remember he's not going to "poof" look content at first or be ready to socialize until he feels safe,secure and familiar with where he is

And you don't get rabies from scratches,they are transmitted by saliva and usually from a " deep" bite..... trust me,I've had dozens & dozens of rabies shots from animal " bites" - statistically documented most humans that have contracted rabies were from deep dog bites -if thst helps ease your mind