Feral Cat Fur Missing On Sides Only.

Kulekhatt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I just took in a feral today. I’ve been getting her used to me for the past year, well I noticed scratches on her sides only and fur missing, we caught a raccoon getting things out of her house. It looks like she has been scratched by the raccoon many times and has hair coming out. I got scared so I set up a quiet room in my house caught her and brought her in today. I have 3 of my own cats, so I’m trying to be careful. What I need to know is could the scratches be from the raccoon or something else. Her fur is perfect on her belly.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like it could be from the raccoon, poor thing. How bad are the scratches, are they bleeding?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The scratches could easily be from the raccoon, or possibly from other neighborhood cats. When cats are feral/strays, the competition for resources can be very fierce. You can use neosporin without pain medication added to help heal and protect from infection, or you can use a wash of chilled chamomile tea, which is soothing, bactericidal and bacteristatic.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kulekhatt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The scratches could easily be from the raccoon, or possibly from other neighborhood cats. When cats are feral/strays, the competition for resources can be very fierce. You can use neosporin without pain medication added to help heal and protect from infection, or you can use a wash of chilled chamomile tea, which is soothing, bactericidal and bacteristatic.
Thank you! I tried plain neosporin, will try again now that I have her in a cage in my house. I’m letting her adjust at the moment. She’s in a quiet room in a large cage at the moment. I’m praying she adjusts quickly. I have 3 of my own kitties and they are very curious.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We have some excellent articles on introducing cats AND one on bringing an outdoor cat in! Should you want the links, just let me know!

Kulekhatt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have some excellent articles on introducing cats AND one on bringing an outdoor cat in! Should you want the links, just let me know!
Yes, any links you have would be helpful! Thank you!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Kulekhatt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
New problem...cat healthy per vet, she meows most of the evening after I’m in bed! I got up and petted her and she calmed down. Is this something she will stop doing? I let the door open to the room I’m keeping her... but last night she meowed even longer. ( and surprisingly she wandered in the house some).

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It should slow down and stop with time, but I can't tell you how much time. That varies from cat to cat! Try very hard to ignore her, as rewarded behavior will continue. I know it is hard to do, but try. LOL, Bobby Mack's Pillow Soft ear plugs may be a good investment for you!

Kulekhatt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It should slow down and stop with time, but I can't tell you how much time. That varies from cat to cat! Try very hard to ignore her, as rewarded behavior will continue. I know it is hard to do, but try. LOL, Bobby Mack's Pillow Soft ear plugs may be a good investment for you!
Thank you I’ll try!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Good luck! I'll bet you do this! It will take time, but that cat is lucky she found you!