Feral Cat Decision

KrazyForKats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am keeping a feral cat in my basement because of the cold temperatures and would appreciate advice about when and whether to release him.

Before trapping him and bringing him inside, I’d been feeding him outside sporadically for a couple of years. He’d occasionally disappear for a few weeks, but would then show up again. I have a screened-in porch that I left open last winter. I got a heated pad and he spent most of last winter hunkered down on it. I also got an electrically warmed water dish. Before bringing him in, he never let me touch him and would only come eat the food I put out after I walked away.

This winter when we got subzero temperatures, I got a small dog crate and lured him in and took him to my basement. He’s been there for about a month now. Since he’s been there, he’s learned to use the litter pan. I started with all dirt and transitioned to kitty litter. He yowled occasionally the first few days and kept looking for a way out. I have a kitty cam on him, so I can see what he’s doing when I’m not there. Now he spends most of his days on the top of the carpeted stairs that lead to our first floor. I go down every morning and scoop his litter and give him fresh water and dry food and leave some treats for him before I go to work. Every afternoon I spend time in the basement working on a puzzle or talking on the phone and then talk and visit with him at the top of the stairs. I sit 2 steps down, where I can reach him, but not threaten him.

I’ve gone from putting my hand next to him, to petting his tail to now petting his body. He still flinches when I first touch him, but only occasionally hisses, and has only swatted at me with his paw once. I always leave treats beside him when I visit him, but up until this week, he would only eat them after I left. This weekend he actually purred while I was there and has now started eating the treats while i’m petting him.

In the evening, I give him some canned food and turn out the lights. From the kitty cam, I can see that as soon as I leave he comes down from the steps and eats the canned food and drinks water. After that he climbs on a futon, cleans himself and goes to sleep.

I plan to keep him in my basement through February, but I’m not sure what I should do with him after that. I have a cat that lives upstairs with us. She was semi-feral and started out in the basement. Now she’s perfectly tame. Unless I can get the feral cat checked out by a vet, I want to keep them separate. The feral basement cat has his ear tipped, so I’m assuming he’s been neutered. I don’t want to put him through the trauma of going to the vet if I’m going to release him.

Really, I don’t want to release him because we live in an urban area and many cats are killed on the roads. He’s been lucky so far. On the other hand, he doesn’t seem happy at all in my basement. He just goes from the stairs to the food and litter to the futon. I’ve tried introducing some toys- feather on a stick and toy mice, but he ignores them or is afraid of them. I’d appreciate any advice or suggestions at this point.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would try to keep him if you can. He might be good company for your other cat. I would get him checked out at the vet, up to date on his vaccinations, make sure he's neutered, and then put up a gate so the two cats can get to know each other. He probably just looks unhappy because he's lonely.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello KrazyForKats, welcome to TCS :wave3:

Thank you for bringing this kitty into your house and for looking after him.

Best is that if you can keep him indoors and since now he’s using the litter box, making himself comfortable, though he’s still adjusting and with the purring and letting you pet him is a good sign. And more importantly is that he’s already neutered. Definitely he’s safer indoors.

The next thing is get him to the vet for a thorough check and for vaccinations.

Give him time to fully acclimatize and in the meanwhile, continue to give him love and assurance.

If it is possible, let him stay in the basement and your other cat upstairs. Or you can do a very slow introduction for both cats which may take some time and lots of patience.
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Introducing Cats To Cats
How To Safely Break Up A Cat Fight
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction

At this moment, he might not get use to the toys but don’t give up. Get a cat wand and play with him and make him hunt the feather and that will slowly warm him up to it. And not all cats are attracted to all toys. Whatever you do, just go slow with him and never freak him out. Let him gain confidence in you and also the space that he is in.

Do keep us updated of the progress.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KrazyForKats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the encouragement! I know if I’m going to keep him inside, I’ll have to take him to the vet at some point. Right now, my gut instinct is that it’s too soon. He’s still very wary when I’m petting him. I’d rather build up more trust before I try to confine him again. At this point, I have no idea how much I’ll be able to socialize him. I don’t know how old he is, but he’s not young.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I guess as long as for now if he’s not hiding and have free roaming in the basement with most of his scents around, it should be no problem bringing him to the vet as when he’s back, he’s back to familiar surroundings. Of course he might be a little pissed off in the beginning but he’ll soon get over it. But socializing him is a process that may be fast or slow but whatever it is, do it with love and patience. I don’t see any problem socializing him.

Or unless the problem is that you can’t get him into the carrier than you may want to delay the vet’s visit for awhile till he is more or less settled down.

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you introduced him to any other people? If so you might get one of them to take him to the vet...you could escape the “bad dad” syndrome...just a thought.

I think if you can get the two cats socializing together you would really enjoy them more. They will play, eat and sleep together if they bond...from my experience it takes a tremendous load off you where now you’re have to split your time between them.

Great to hear of older cats being adopted and rescued. Obviously he can’t say it but I will, thanks.

KrazyForKats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, part of the problem is that I don’t think I can get him into a carrier. He doesn’t go into the open crate I originally caught him in. I can’t handle him yet. And even if I managed to get him into a carrier, I think he would go beserk at the vet’s.

I think it’s possible that at some point down the road the 2 cats could be together. I’m also protective of my tamed cat. She’s been through a lot. She showed up at my sister’s house emaciated and ridden with ear mites and parasites. My sister’s cats were aggressive with her, so that’s why I took her. She traveled from my sister’s house in West Virginia to Maryland where I picked her up and brought her to Western NY where I live. She stayed in my basement for a few months until she was spayed and cleared of parasites. I refer to her as semi-feral because she was always willing to be petted, but shied away from us and hid under things for months. I don’t think she had ever lived inside because she didn’t know to use the litter pan until we put dirt in it, too. The vet estimated she was 2 years old. I’ve had her for almost 2 years. She’s come an amazingly long way. I don’t think she’ll ever be a lap cat, but I can pick her up and she loves to be petted. She climbs up beside me on the bed, and LOVES to play. But she’s still very shy with strangers and pretty skittish. I just don’t know how she and the feral cat will do together. There’s a lot of ifs in this whole situation.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try leaving the carrier out all the time so he can get used to it, maybe eat and sleep in it. That's what I did. If you drape a sheet over the carrier when you take him to the vet, it will make him more calm.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had good luck bringing 3 ferals into the house (years after TNR) by setting the carriers out. I had a cozy mat inside that I sprinkled with catnip. I then began to feed them in the carriers. On the day I brought them into the house, I prepared their food and placed it in the carriers. I had a sturdy pillow nearby to block the entrance while I secured the door.

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the encouragement! I know if I’m going to keep him inside, I’ll have to take him to the vet at some point. Right now, my gut instinct is that it’s too soon. He’s still very wary when I’m petting him. I’d rather build up more trust before I try to confine him again. At this point, I have no idea how much I’ll be able to socialize him. I don’t know how old he is, but he’s not young.
Hi Krazy for Kats,
I'm going to try to sell you on keeping this kitty and domesticating him. I'll keep this post short as possible (ha). We live in suburban CT and have TWELVE indoor cats. We have 4 totally domestic residents, and 3 semiferal adults and some of their offspring. First Feral, Hanna, showed up with her 4 kittens July 2013. We'd seen this cat off and on for 2-3 years--assumed she was a neighbor's cat. With help, everyone was trapped. Kits were 4 wks old..Hanna we guessed was 3 years old. Kittens warmed up to us right away--we kept them with mom til they were weaned. She was cool about our holding them, and babies were friendly from Day One. Kept everybody--massive Foster Fail. =)
Hanna was a tough one..never mean, but just scared. Would hiss or swat if we tried to pet her. The vet dismissed her as totally feral. We ignored them and kept her indoors. She got used to it and she was able to see her babies grow up. It took 2 years, but my husband can pet her--I can't, but that's okay. She is a really sweet cat and gets along fine with everyone (I've heard that is true of ferals--not so great with people, but usually fine with other cats as long as all are neutered).
Next batch of cats June 2017: small calico Marlee showed up with 3 kittens and her baby daddy. (Daddy has Highlander "lynx" ears, and one kitten does too--see my avatar). These kittens were 8-10 weeks old. Initially we brought everyone in except feral Daddy--who got fixed & now lives indoor-outdoor at rescue lady's house since we've had a coyote visitor. The kittens were kinda hissy initially, but once weaned/separated from mom, they were friendly within a couple of days. Mama got spayed. Kept her separate in a bedroom for a while but she wanted to see what was going on in the household..so we let her out of the room and she's been really playful and fun with the group. Can pet her if careful. Two kits went to a good friend of mine.
Latest challenge is feral female #3--just captured on 1/2/18. She is scared and not too happy, but hasn't tried to kill us yet. It will be slow going.
I guess my point is that they are all different and their social development can vary based on personality and how they were raised--when taken from mom, etc.
You've done a great thing so three cheers!

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey Crazy for Kats your doing really well, I was feeding my Feral for a year outside she has been in the house
for 1 month this coming saturday, She still hides from me and won't play with me yet. I am preparing for the vet visit, I want her seen at the 2 month mark (Hopefully), I am considering Mobile vets, I just need to find the right one.
Your cat lets you pet him, I think this is huge! I've been learning to try not to feel bad for the imprisonment
because they are better off. I think my cat likes it in the house, she is just still afraid. I live in San Diego so it's a hard decision to not let her back out. I hope she starts liking me again soon :lol:

KrazyForKats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, everybody! Feral kitty really seems to love treats now. I think he’s almost looking forward to my visits because he gets treats. He lets me pet him while he’s eating the treats as long as I don’t get too close to his head. I’ve ordered some tube purée lickable treat that I saw recommended on this forum, and i’m hoping he’ll like those, too.

The crate (it’s a small dog crate) that I trapped him in is in the basement open with treats in it, but he never goes in there. For those of you who have taken a feral cat to the vet, how does the vet handle that? Like I said, I’m pretty sure he’ll go beserk if I do manage to get him into a carrier, and I’m not sure how the vet could ever manage to examine him or give him any vaccinations. I’ve never taken a cat I couldn’t handle to the vet.

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, everybody! Feral kitty really seems to love treats now. I think he’s almost looking forward to my visits because he gets treats. He lets me pet him while he’s eating the treats as long as I don’t get too close to his head. I’ve ordered some tube purée lickable treat that I saw recommended on this forum, and i’m hoping he’ll like those, too.

The crate (it’s a small dog crate) that I trapped him in is in the basement open with treats in it, but he never goes in there. For those of you who have taken a feral cat to the vet, how does the vet handle that? Like I said, I’m pretty sure he’ll go beserk if I do manage to get him into a carrier, and I’m not sure how the vet could ever manage to examine him or give him any vaccinations. I’ve never taken a cat I couldn’t handle to the vet.
Hi!
Try to get kitty into a fairly small cage so vet can easily sedate him through the bars. The ones that open top AND front are the best for that. Don't let him eat after 10pm the night before the appt so the sedation is safe. Don't forget to line the crate with a towel and/or pee pad, and drape the crate with a blanket or towel after he is in it. That seems to calm them down a bit.
Do you have any kitty rescue friends who can help you? I have someone who I ask for help, then I make donations to her organization when I am able.
Best of luck!

KrazyForKats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update on my feral kitty: I’ve decided to table a trip to the vet and focus on taming him some and building up trust with him. I got some of the lickable tuna stuff in a tube and he showed a little interest in it at first, but then got suspicious and would back away each time I extended it to him. He didn’t eat it when I squeezed it out in a plate and left it for him either. Fortunately my tamed formerly semi-feral kitty, Pixie Belden, loves it.

Feral kitty loves treats though, so we’ve been bonding though those. He now lets me pet him while he’s eating treats. He sometimes puts his paws out and starts kneading the carpet while I’m petting him. He also likes to have the base of his tail scratched lightly. Yesterday we had a real breakthrough. I’ve been slowly moving closer to his head while he eats the treats, and yesterday he let me give him cheek scritches!

He still gets scared very easily. Sometimes I don’t even know why but here’s an example. We have 2 sets of stairs going to our basement, and he spends a lot of time at the top of the front stairway which has a door to our front entryway. I always use the back stairway. The front stairs are carpeted, but the top is tiled and cold, so I decided to put a towel down for him to lay on. It clearly freaked him out because he abandoned the stairs for the 2 days the towel was there, but returned as soon as I took the towel away.

Still haven’t decided for sure what to do when spring comes, but in the meantime I’m going to take his poop to our vet and have it checked for parasites.

Thanks again to everybody for your advice and support.

houseofnine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It sounds like it's going pretty well! It's funny what will freak them out. It's wonderful, what you're doing for him..I have high hopes for domestication!

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know I put a blanket under the End table Walli was hanging out in and now she sits to the right or the
left of the blanket, what the heck:lol:

KrazyForKats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
2 steps back - Feral kitty swiped at me and put his teeth around my hand when I tried to pet him today. The good news is he didn’t even break my skin with his teeth, but he was definitely giving me the message to BACK OFF (sigh).

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was gonna suggest getting him neutered, but you said he has an ear notch and is probably already neutered? My two (former) ferals pretend to bite, but they never sink their teeth in. They do still scratch me though.

KrazyForKats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That’s right. He’s really not an aggressive cat.

KrazyForKats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
F2680D08-B37C-4246-BF2B-E81AD7AEFE15.jpeg
Feral kitty has taken to sleeping on the empty bottom shelf of the bookcase again instead of the futon. I can’t figure out why because nothing i’m aware of has changed. I would think the futon would be much more comfortable. He does still go to the top of the stairs right before the times I usually go down there to feed him or give him treats. He eats treats and lets me pet him and give him cheek scritches and scratch the base of his tail. I’m thinking he wouldn’t go there if he didn’t like these treat/petting sessions. Do you guys agree? Here’s a picture of him at the top of the stairs.