Feral Advice

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Reading this thread brings back memories of my first feral:) Congratulations on the new addition to the family. Usually cats come off the street ready to use any litter box. I've only had one cat be difficult out of many many cats. Usually they take to litter boxes like tourists at a fry stand. As soon as they get over the nerves of being in a new place they really do want an area to dig and cover up their leavings. I use Dr. Elsey's cat attract litter for cats who are problem eliminators but have never needed it for ferals/ strays. I typical use newspaper shreds (like Yesterday's News) or unscented clay litter. I'd avoid scented litters. It doesn't smell natural to us so I can't imagine an outdoor cat would be enthused about it either.

Really the "hard" part is over. You've got her trapped and she's inside. Now you just need patience- possibly lots and lots of patience. Though they say that cats have that sweet spot for socialization at an earlier age- just seeing the photos you posted of her at the sliding door- she looks fairly accustomed to human presence already. Just don't expect her to be an instant lap cat. Give her time and let her come around gradually on her own terms.

Is this the only cat you have in the home?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angela15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Reading this thread brings back memories of my first feral:) Congratulations on the new addition to the family. Usually cats come off the street ready to use any litter box. I've only had one cat be difficult out of many many cats. Usually they take to litter boxes like tourists at a fry stand. As soon as they get over the nerves of being in a new place they really do want an area to dig and cover up their leavings. I use Dr. Elsey's cat attract litter for cats who are problem eliminators but have never needed it for ferals/ strays. I typical use newspaper shreds (like Yesterday's News) or unscented clay litter. I'd avoid scented litters. It doesn't smell natural to us so I can't imagine an outdoor cat would be enthused about it either.

Really the "hard" part is over. You've got her trapped and she's inside. Now you just need patience- possibly lots and lots of patience. Though they say that cats have that sweet spot for socialization at an earlier age- just seeing the photos you posted of her at the sliding door- she looks fairly accustomed to human presence already. Just don't expect her to be an instant lap cat. Give her time and let her come around gradually on her own terms.

Is this the only cat you have in the home?
Thank you for all of your kind words! Before we trapped her she really did seem like she loved spending time with us outside on the porch. I am hopeful that over time we will regain her trust.

I'm a special education teacher by day, so I do tend to have a lot of patience :)

This is the only cat we have.. We weren't really looking for a pet, but I truly believe she found us!

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry......but, I disagree about the pain control plan as outlined.

I'll preface this by saying that I don't want to see you become entangled in a very worrisome situation where the cat is in your home, untouchable and in pain (and, of course, terrified). An ovariohysterectomy results in moderate to severe pain that will reduce over a period of several days.

Personalize this: Who here would consider undergoing an ovariohysterectomy knowing that you'll only be comfortable and pain-free for the first 24 hours?

Besides the inhumanity of having this pain go uncontrolled, the cat's healing time will be extended. This has been established with research. Then, consider the effect on the cat's psyche in terms of the whole socialization process that you're attempting to accomplish - this would not be a good start for that.

The Metacam will barely cover her off for 24 hours after it's given. You'll need adequate coverage for her for an absolute minimum of three days, possibly longer, and...there can be no break in the medicating, because once the pain comes back 'on stream', it's very difficult to bring it back under control.

Licking and chewing was mentioned....cats will only do this if there is pain at the incision site - pain is why they lick and chew.

I'm going to give you some information about the use of Metacam in cats as it is regulated in the UK, so that you can see the conditions of the drug's licensing there:

Metacam 0.5mg/ml oral suspension for cats.....
USES
Cats
Alleviation of mild to moderate post-operative pain and inflammation following surgical procedures in cats, e.g. orthopaedic and soft tissue surgery....

Dosage and Administration
Cats:
Dosage

Post-operative pain and inflammation following surgical procedures:
After initial treatment with Metacam 2 mg/ml solution for injection for cats, continue treatment 24 hours later with Metacam 0.5 mg/ml oral suspension for cats at a dosage of 0.05 mg meloxicam/kg body weight. The oral follow-up dose may be administered once daily (at 24-hour intervals) for up to four days.
LINKS: Uses

Note that there, the initial dose is given by injection and the followup daily doses are with an oral suspension.

I'd advise you not to bring her home tomorrow, but to have her kept there for two full days post-surgery and fully medicated with her incision monitored. On day three, if all is OK, she receives medication on discharge, covering her off for the following day. That would ensure that the 'worst' of it is over and give you the best chances for a successful start with her.

I think I've covered off my concerns, if not I'll post back.

theyremine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You will get excellent advice on this forum. I relied on this advice with my first two ferals (6 months old when I got them) and my second two (also 6 months when they came to me). Although it took time and patience, today they are loving, happy house cats.
I have also used the same techniques with 3 litters of younger ferals who all were adopted into good homes.

angela15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Of course, the moment I turned to leave...

A cat that's in pain usually won't have any interest in food - which, of course, will not only compound your worry, but can cause further medical issues.
Thank you so much for all of yesterday advice. I can board her another day at the clinic, but they won’t be giving her any additional medication beyond the first dose of meloxicam. I also know that there are no plans for them to send me home with any medication. I reached out to several vets and clinics in the area and this seems to be the standard procedure around here. Of course, i may be in a bit of an unusual situation because most are bringing typical house cats to be spayed or doing a TNR.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry to weigh in so late. I had an emergency to attend to but you have gotten lots of great advice. I do feral rescues and would be happy to try and help with any concerns you may come across when Cat comes home. Boarding her would certainly put her under a watchful eye in the early stages of her recovery. If she is hurting and licking then maybe the vet will order extra medication for her. I don’t know where you are but I guess the standards are different in other places. Where I live it would be standard for three days of pain medicine for a feral that was being brought inside to live and be socialized but some vets have given me instructions to confine them for longer periods of time than others. A feral that is a TNR would be kept for two days, medicated during that time and then released. Just keep an eye on her incision after you bring her home. Try to keep her from leaping up onto high places and, if possible, keep her relaxed.
I have a friend on TCS that has very good luck calming cats so I will take her to see if she has any suggestions for you. Furballsmom Furballsmom
I know that the litter box has been discussed and I only have one tip to add. If I have a cat who lived outside who does not understand that the litter box is where she is supposed to go I just add a few leaves or some grass from outside until she uses it the first time. Once her scent is there she should continue to use it. If you know where her usualmpotty place is outside, you can gather the grass from near that spot. It will remind her to go. You don’t need to add much. I know there seems to be a lot to learn but that cat obviously trusts you already. The love and patience you have shown her up to this point counts for a lot of the work needed. You have made a fantastic start with her. The rest will come. Of the dozens of ferals I have brought in, they have all adjusted. Cats are smart. She will learn and you came to the right place to get any assistance you may need.
Feel free to PM me or tag my ID for help if you have questions about any adjustment problems or you are just curious about anything. I am so glad you have saved her. I really love the photos of her looking in the door for you. Beautiful kitty! :rock:

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll weigh in just briefly..........and, a final time.

I should have picked up on this sooner.

I think you're using one of the special 'spay & neuter' clinics that provide this and nothing more, and are part of the effort to reduce the number of homeless cats.

I understand that "additional" pain medication can be provided IF it is bought and paid for...outside of the usual terms and conditions of the low-cost program.

Angela, please contact them again today (after the early day rush hour intakes are done) and find out how you can go about getting this "extra" package/service for her. Read again my post #24 above.

jcatbird has asked someone to offer "calming" tips/measures....that's helpful, BUT not the first priority - that is to ensure that the cat is not suffering pain. Please don't get sidetracked from this issue and do call them and arrange for this. There has to be a way for them to facilitate this for you. You will need to talk your way through the reception folks and insist on speaking to the person who manages that clinic - the administrator/manager.

If you were to bring this kitty to a full-service Vet clinic for a standard, run-of-the-mill spay or neuter procedure, rest assured that the cat would not be discharged without being provided with take-home pain medication.

I'm worried that what I'm saying might take away something from - what truly is - an absolutely wonderful thing that you're doing. It should not, and it is not intended so.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Feliway plugins are a great way to help a nervous cat adjust. Most cats find the product soothing. You can find Feliway at most pet stores as well as on Amazon.

5. Another product I found helpful was Composure treats or Composure Liquid Max. The first few nights inside are very stressful. The cat will often yowl and cry all night. The Composure is very useful in calming the cat at night. I first tried the treats, but after a week or so, the cat no longer liked the treat. I then switched to the liquid as it was very easy to mix into wet food. Composure is available at the best price on Amazon.
We weren't really looking for a pet, but I truly believe she found us!
Cat is a DOLL!! ….they do this - find people to love them, and I'm so glad she did!!
shadowsrescue has some great info. One other thing I'd mention is that music can help a stressed cat a great deal.
Classical harp music, George Handel compositions, the app RelaxMyCat, MusicForCats . com, and a lovely side benefit is that it can help you as well :)

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can see the point made about using a clinic that only does Spay and neuter. They do provide basic services but in my experience do not give the extra pain meds. Sometimes this work is done in a regular vet office but payment is susidized by grants or other funding. If they allow you to purchase the medicine for extra days then you might find the cat is much more comfortable and less likely to lick to see her any discomfort. I hope all goes very calmly and that you find she relaxing into your new life together very quickly. Please keep writing. We will all be interested in how you are both doing. Applause to you for adopting her!

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jcatbird Jcatbird - my concern all along....and, I also know that it's the concern of Angela...is that, if this cat comes home without pain control and there is any complication....even extreme pain...how the heck will she be able to manage the whole thing? The cat is likely untouchable/unhandle-able....I mean, what can she do? And, the emotional toll on her....

Anyway, I know that Angela is trying to work something out, so we'll see.

We all do the best we can with what we have.

angela15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am doing my best to try and contact the clinic! I will say, they aren't the best at getting back to me in a timely manner. I think it will be a long shot for them to prescribe pain medication, but I am going to push as much as I can for it. Maybe i will be more successful this evening in person when I go to pick her up. I hope that I did not do her a disservice by bringing her to a clinic. Most vets I called in my area would not accept ferals, and since this clinic does I thought it was the right choice. I have found that there is a lot of information out there about adopting kittens/cats from shelters and TNR but not a ton about my situation of adopting a feral. I am one that tries to do as much research as I possibly can before jumping into something and I have found the members on this site most helpful!

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Angela, don't doubt yourself.

The Vets who work there work full-time at some other clinic/hospital. When you go today, first, ask them to keep her one more night - and make an appropriate donation or pay the fee for this. Then, see if, through whichever other hospital the Vet is connected to, you can get the "extra" medication.

Look, if the cat will eat wet foods, Metacam can be mixed into the food - it's formulated to be palatable to cats. That would eliminate any need for handling her.

You really are doing well. I'm rooting for you.

angela15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all of the positive vibes everyone!

I am at a loss with the clinic at the moment and getting nowhere unfortunately. I got an e-mail with a partial refund and was confused. I e-mailed back questioning the refund (because I actually owe them more money) and they replied that they would call me asap. Apparently they didn't read the paperwork and assumed since Cat arrived in a trap that she was there for the $55 TNR package. With that comes an ear tip. When I visited the clinic to make the appointment last week, I was specifically told that since it was my intention to adopt Cat as a house pet that I was ineligible for the $55 feral program. Not a problem, and I happily paid for their "silver package" that did NOT include an ear tip. Now I paid for the "silver package" and she had her ear tipped. I know that having her ear tipped isn't a big deal, but now I am wondering what else they messed up on? Did she get the proper flea treatment? That isn't included in the TNR package.. Was she given a rabies treatment?

I again asked about pain medication and they said they do not prescribe anything post spaying for ferals or domestic cats. They also said that they do not have space to keep her for another night (I'm almost to the point where I don't want her there anymore). I will do my best to get the name of the vet so that I can contact his/her primary practice if I have any difficulty.

At this point I am thinking my best bet is to pick her up tonight and take her home. I have a large dog crate set up with blankets, a litter box, and will put her food and water. I will be sure to cover the crate so that she feels secure. I also plan to put the cat carrier that I will take her home in the crate (opened) so that she has a place to "hide" if she would like. I am hopeful that eventually I can let her have an entire room to herself, but I have to make some adjustments to the room before I can do that. I am hopeful that being in a smaller space will help her heal quickly, I just hope she doesn't throw herself against the crate.

My stomach is in knots thinking of all of this, but I am trying to stay positive. I know that I am doing the best that I can.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm fuming.....I know there are all kinds of possible reasons for some of this...but, there are no excuses.

Do keep your focus. You are on the right track.

I think your plans around her room are fine.

My understanding is that 'paperwork', i.e. a detailed record of what was done, can be expected upon discharge. Ask for that.

When the dust settles from all of this, there will be time to address the shortcomings of that system...and, that can be done.

Take a deep breath.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I was specifically told that since it was my intention to adopt Cat as a house pet that I was ineligible for the $55 feral program.
Well, this is frustrating. I hate when this kind of thing happens and a person is left with ???

I know you will, but just in case the paperwork isn't available or isn't clear about exactly what they did and didn't do, do your absolute darndest when you are there in person to confirm with them about the flea treatment and rabies shot, since you of course don't want to double-up on either one.

Hang in there!!

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A further thought.

I would also ask to see the manager there, and take him/her aside. I'd be crystal-clear about the details you stated in that post, and I would insist that s/he investigate carefully and determine exactly what was done/what was not. I might also insist on receiving a connection to the Vet involved - so that I could be assured of getting the cat's needs satisfied without further 'interference'. I'd also get the pertinent details about this S&N clinic so that I can follow up when the dust does settle.

I'd be carefully and politely putting a touch of 'the fear of god' in my presentation - IF I felt I wasn't to be taken seriously.

The TNR community does wonders and depends on many volunteers, and many of those 'run' on good intention and utmost dedication. None of what I write should be taken nor interpreted as denigrating that/those efforts in any way.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are a here for you as you get through this. They absolutely should provide paperwork on every thing they did. Most of these clinics do rabies. Especially for what they consider ferals. That is paperwork you will need. I have never heard of a denial of giving the records of a procedure. If you were doing rescues then that paperwork would be required for any future relocation of the cat. I can tell you that I have used both vet services and clinics where they cost was subsidized by grant, National, state or county funding. All of these sources want you to have documentation and they require proof of services too. Let them know that you know that. Sometimes we just have to understand that these places are often overworked. Not excusing a mistake on the eat tipping but understanding that it happens. I suspect she did not get the flea treatment if the feral program there is like the one here. I was not even allowed to pay extra to get it. I had to take them for a regular vet appointment for that or purchase something like Advantage, Frontline or Capstar that are non prescription. You might ask the clinic to suggest something if she did not get flea stuff. Make sure it is okay to give it to her after this surgery. Also ask for the name of that vet or any good vet who will treat her even before socializing. They should know someone. Maybe then you can get her some pain medicine if you can’t get it now. Stand firm but pleasant with them. This is your kitty child not just a stray. They often see ferals but not so often see ferals that are being taken in as cherished pets. Help them understand. I had to do that a lot until the vets got to know me as a regular. Vets that help at the clinic are usually volunteering services. To me that translates to caring. I hope this is accurate there too and that they will help you. Please keep posting as you go through each step. This is a great place to get assistance. We all care about you and Cat.

angela15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pickup at the clinic was a bit rushed but smooth. They did give me paperwork that detailed her treatments. Besides the spaying she was given a rabies shot, distemper shot Profender and Revolution treatments. I am hopeful that the only mixup was the ear trap. Thinking about it from their perspective, I can see why they assumed feral TNR at quick glance because i had to bring her in in a trap.

The office manager wasn’t the most pleasant but she assured me everything listed on the paperwork was done.

Cat was extremely calm on the ride home which shocked me. When we got home I placed the carrier into the dog crate we have set up as her temporary home. She nestled herself into the back of the carrier and hasn’t come out yet. We left food and water for her in the crate as well in her usual bowl. She’s moved around the carrier a bit but hasn’t come out yet. She is sleepy and looks very relaxed so i am hopeful this is a good sign. I imagine she’s chosen to remain in the carrier because that is where she is most comfortable? To me she doesn’t appear to be in any discomfort, just very calm.

I left the dry food and a bowl of water for her before i came up to bed. I am hoping some alone time will get her to eat a bit.

Attachments