Female kitten just got fixed and I'm freaking out

Tashanasha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi guys,

I just brought Toffee back from the vet. She got fixed this morning. Vet told me they used some kind of self-dissolving stitches that are placed underneath the skin so I do not need to worry about her nibbling on them.

He didn't give me any kind of protection, like a cone or something. He said that it is normal for her to be licking the area and it's not a problem.

But she won't stop licking it and now I'm freaking out that the wound will open or something. I'll attach a picture of what it looks now.

Has anyone had experience with this kind of stitches? Are they really safe?

We have another appointment tomorrow morning, she'll get another round of antibiotics and painkillers, so the vet will check the stitches anyway but I would feel a lot better if I knew that this was really as safe as he said.

Attachments

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww.....your love & care is beautiful to read! None of my cats have worn cones. Toffee's incision looks good but as with all surgery after care, watch for increased swelling & bright redness. You can ask your vet's office for a way to text or email pictures just to keep handy. Stitches are done in layers; feral cats are often released after an only an overnight stay. Cats can have very odd (and sometimes distressing) responses to the anesthesia. Yet despite all that, the risks are far dwindled in comparison to what the unfixed female community cats endure through pregnancy & birth. That said, it should be reassuring to have that appointment tomorrow. Please keep us updated!

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With one exception, none of my female cats and fosters (and I've had too many to count!) have needed a cone after being neutered. All but one needed a check up after the operation. The one exception was a stray, with kittens.The kittens were the problem because they prevented the wound from healing. So try to think positive at least until you go back to the vet tomorrow for a check up. To me the wound looks very clean and in an excellent condition!

I am sure the vet will say the same. I hate making cats have this operation - but it has always gone well and the advantages outweigh all the minor disadvantages of the operation itself, a few days discomfort for the cat and. of course, my own worrying and lack of sleep.

Let us know how everything goes. You've done the right thing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tashanasha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your replies, they do comfort me!

She seems to be really ok for now. Marx, my other cat, isn't giving her a hard time either. He just gave her a good lick to wash of the vet odor and left her alone, but I'm going to separate them tonight anyway.

I think I'm taking this whole thing harder than she is. But it was the same with Marx, when we got him fixed, even though the procedure on boys is way less intrusive.

I'll give you guys an update tomorrow after we see the vet. And thanks again for taking the time to comfort me a bit 😊