Female Feral Cat Spayed While In Heat Vaginal Bleeding Now

supermax1943

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I debated posting in the Feral Forum or the Pregnancy Forum. Here is the problem: This last week I did some trapping in my feral colony. One female about 10 months old was in heat but the vet went ahead with the spay. It has now been 36 hours since the surgery. This morning when I went to check on the cats who had been fixed I found a pool of bloody liquid in her cage. There was no sign of blood actively coming out of her or anywhere on her skin. I kept her caged until I came home from work tonight and found about the same amount of blood again.

Her discharge papers said she might have bloody discharge but didn't tell how much blood to expect or for how long. I would appreciate any advice you could give me.
Thank you,
Sally

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would definitely call the vet and tell them what you found and see what they advise, she may be bleeding internally. Try to describe a more exact amount, a teaspoon, tablespoon, or more? Better yet take in a picture of it with something besides it to gauge how much. Like a teaspoon, ruler, etc. i just had a little female spayed in heat and she was much more lethargic, and refused to eat/drink for three days. But she did recover fine. The vessels are much more dilated during heat, so it is easier for something to go wrong. If teh amount of discharge is getting smaller that is a good sign, but please still call your vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

supermax1943

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would definitely call the vet and tell them what you found and see what they advise, she may be bleeding internally. Try to describe a more exact amount, a teaspoon, tablespoon, or more? Better yet take in a picture of it with something besides it to gauge how much. Like a teaspoon, ruler, etc. i just had a little female spayed in heat and she was much more lethargic, and refused to eat/drink for three days. But she did recover fine. The vessels are much more dilated during heat, so it is easier for something to go wrong. If teh amount of discharge is getting smaller that is a good sign, but please still call your vet.

supermax1943

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your help and advice. I will do all that you suggested and thanks too for your ideas on measuring the amount of blood so it is easier to describe to the vet. I will post the results here.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is so easy to get so worried during times like this. Sometimes just a call to a vet helps to put your mind at ease. If not starting early definitely helps with fixing what is wrong. Please keep us posted!

supermax1943

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I did talk to my Emergency Vet last night who said he thought I ought to wait until morning before bringing her in, and lo-and-behold! this morning there was just a tiny little bit of blood in her urine 100% better than last night. It was a little chilly in the room too so I turned on a little heat which I always think is a good idea if the cat isn't up to par. I also knew she was much better because she swatted my hand this morning when I was cleaning the cage! And tonight no sign of blood at all so she will have her freedom in the morning.

Thank you again for your comforting remarks and for being there when I really needed someone.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the good update! I have been through something like this too many times to count. I thought everything was calming down and yesterday I finally caught a 4 week old kitten that lost it's mom 4 days ago. He finally came to me looking for help. So tiny......Now what!? I already have 4 inside cats and the outside cats, sigh.....I'll contact the shelter tomorrow, but I already know they have their hands completely full. For being feral he is already on our laps and learned to use a litterbox last night. My heart is hurting for him.....

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yesterday I finally caught a 4 week old kitten that lost it's mom 4 days ago.
Same here, yesterday I caught a 5 week old kitten, without her mom. I had been seeing her for 10 days among the waste and bins and couldn't get hold of her.
Since last night she's at home, with us...
Three more 4 month old kittens were rescued a couple of days earlier.

Bless you, di and bob di and bob , for your efforts in the best interest of the poor homeless kittens!