Female cat in heat...is this normal?

goosegoose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is it normal for a female cat that's in heat to be a little bit more aggressive? She seems to get into fights with my other cats more when she is in heat and they can really go at it. She just keeps attacking the same two cats of mine all the time. I think it happens more when she's in heat?

Although the other day she got into a fight with one of my cats. I also found some of her fur on the ground, and one of my other cats seem to have a little injury in his ear. I think he got it from when they fought? She just keeps attacking the other cats. They would just spazz out and then be back to normal. And it's always with the same cats.

I don't get why she attacks them mostly and not the others? Could it be a combination of her being in heat, dominance and a territorial thing? She acts normal the majority of the time. Eats and drinks normal and so do the other cats. They just randomly start fighting sometimes..?

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Why not just get her spayed and end the aggression?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hormones can put a girl into a very bad mood. . .LOL (humans too!). She may just be a bully, but spaying her may help, and would be a good idea anyway. The more heats a cat has, the higher her chances of getting pyometra.

ziggy'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hormones can cause aggression but to be on the safe side I really would have her checked out by a vet. I have a foster cat that I've had for a long time that also has issues with being aggressive. He just came across as a total bully and seemed to target some cats while leaving others alone. To me that proved that he was in fact just a bully since he didn't act aggressive with other cats. But I was wrong. He's not a bully at all. He's in pain. Severe pain. I had no idea. He seemed to be fine other than the aggression. I saw no signs of anything being wrong but clearly it was. Aggression in cats is often a sign of illness or pain so you do want to rule it out. It sounds to me based on the level of aggression your cat is displaying that it's more than just moodiness.

Either way getting her spayed is a very good idea. She will be happier, healthier and will live longer. And she won't have to go in and out of these heat cycles all the time which I'm sure is not too pleasant
. Not to mention the benefit to all cats when no more kittens are born to join the competition for the few homes out there. Unless a cat is a pedigree breeding cat there is really no reason why she should not be spayed.

Good luck. I hope you get it figured out and that there is nothing wrong with your cat.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A spayed or neutered cat is healthier, happier and does not contribute to the massive overpopulation of cats.

Please have her spayed.

jazzmin_flower

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have lots of female cats and yes, a few of them do get aggressive and fight off the males. They want to mate, yet when an intact male gets too close, the girls often take a swipe at them, leaving at least one neat scratch. Not that I need them reproducing.

Some of the cats fight after mating. So long as your cat seems to be healthy, best to keep her away from the intact tomcats whenever she goes into her heat cycle by keeping her or them in another room with a securely closed door.

Altho new kittens are delightful, try NOT to let your cat have any until she gets spayed. Consider her aggression a blessing in disguise.

-- Jazzmin Flower --

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

goosegoose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took her to the vet a couple of months ago and they said she was healthy. She went in for her shots and had to get them done before she got spayed. She also has an appointment to be spayed on March, 2nd.
She is also an indoor cat, all my cats are except one male cat. She's the only cat I have that is not spayed yet, so I am hoping after I have her spayed she will calm down. She seems pretty normal whens she's not in heat.

Thanks for everyone's answer, I really appreciate the help.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good to hear she is getting spayed. Please don't let her escape outside beforehand, or she will get pregnant. If her aggression is all the time, it could be due to pain as mentioned by another poster. Sometimes, the heat cycle just makes the females plain cranky and they will lash out- although for the most part they are overly affectionate and won't stop crying and rubbing the walls.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Glad she is getting spayed soon! I too have heard about female cats in heat that are VERY friendly and can be aggressive about it. She will be much more calm and happy after she get spayed.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You said she's getting spayed in a couple of weeks. Once she's spayed I think you'll find most of her aggression is gone.