Felv Vaccine Question

stormyandklaus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So my cat has not been tested for FeLV. The rescue we got him from does not test cats for that. I want to get him tested but we just spent money on other vet care so could not afford an extra test at the time.

The vet is having a vaccine clinic this weekend and the FeLV vaccine is only $20 but from what I understand it's just the vaccine and not the test. In the small chance that my cat would be FeLV +, is it harmful for him to get the vaccine if he has the disease? I want to get him tested for it soon, but I thought getting the vaccine in the mean time could be good.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I'm not a vet, but I've read several times that the vaccine, which isn't all that effective in preventing the disease, can actually cause the virus to wake up, if it's in your cat.

Good on you for thinking about this!

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
FELV vaccine isn't necessary unless your cat is going to be an outdoor cat. I would rather put the money towards a snap test to test for FELV.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't recommend the vaccine for an indoor-only cat.

Sometimes the test is included in the low-cost clinics. You can call and ask about that.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know that vaccinating a FeLV+ cat with FeLV vaccine isn't harmful for the cat, it is just a waste of money because it wouldn't improve the cat's condition.
A snap test is very affordable, at least where I live. It's a combined FIV-FeLV snap test (IDEXX) for just €25.00.
The vaccine is only €5.00 more.