FeLV Vaccine for Indoor Cats?

Ella Spell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have five cats. The oldest is 20 and he goes outside but barely leaves the property. He's had some hissing arguments with other cats but never been in a serious fight, or any fight for that matter. The other four are strictly indoor cats and will never go out.

I used to go to a different vet than the one I have now. The first vet told me the indoor cats should get the FeLV vaccine even though they don't go outside, just in case my outdoor cat gets in a fight and infects them. He said even if that doesn't happen, the vaccine wouldn't hurt them. I was sure I'd chosen to vaccinate them all for FeLV.

Today I took the oldest two indoor cats to Vet 2 for their annual FVRCP and FeLV update. It turns out that Ouiji never got the FeLV but Willow did, along with the two younger indoor cats at home. I don't know how Ouiji never got it, but I was sure she had. We went through all her records from both places and it's clear she never had it. Vet 2 said it wasn't really necessary and not to bother getting it for Ouiji if I didn't have the funds, since her first injection of it would require a followup injection in four weeks (therefore, doubling the price). Willow had it all along so he gave her the singular, yearly dose. Then we noticed Willow never had the "followup" shot four weeks after her first FeLV vacc in 2021. She did all her other vaccines when scheduled but I don't remember anyone telling me about the four week followup shot so she never got it. Then we checked the younger kittens and they got their first FeLV last summer but never did the four week followup either, because I didn't know about it. The vet said not to worry because even if they missed round-two of their first FeLV it was better than nothing and I could carry on with the annual boosters.

I'm confused because he's saying Ouiji doesn't really it, and the other ones didn't get it as scheduled but it's still better than nothing.

I decided not to do Ouiji with FeLV at all but now I'm wondering if it's normal for indoor cats to get the vacc, or if they're at risk with their big brother going outside sometimes. The one who goes outside doesn't get vaccines anymore because the vets both said he's too old, and he didn't have the FeLV vacc when he was younger because I didn't even know about it back then.

Sorry for the ramble but I'm confused. Should I get it for Ouiji? I feel guilty doing the other three but not her, but yet it seems kind of unnecessary too.

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As I understand it indoor usually dont gets no felv vaccine. One big reason is, if they hapoen to get lost, and become tested:; they will show as felv+...

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As I understand it indoor usually dont gets no felv vaccine. One big reason is, if they hapoen to get lost, and become tested:; they will show as felv+...
I never heard that a FeLV vaccinated cat will test positive. As far as I know, the ELISA test looks for the antigene, not the antibodies.
Or have I misunderstood your post?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since all my cats are FeLV positive I am very adamant about getting the vaccine. you stated most of your cats don't go outside, but that one does. All he needs is to get bit deeply and that is it. My own personal opinion, I really don't believe it is transmitted easily, more through deep bites and mating. Mine were in fights frequently when they were younger. Mine are still going after 5 years. Older cats are able sometimes to fight it off. young ones, especially under a year, almost always die. I give them DMG mixed in Delectable Lickables every morning to build up their immune systems. I believe it has really helped, they were getting sick much more frequently before I started it. it is available online at most retailers, including Walmart, Target, and Amazon. I don't vaccinate now at all since they are strictly indoors and already have the disease, and I wash frequently after being outside with the outside cats. All the luck!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I never heard that a FeLV vaccinated cat will test positive. As far as I know, the ELISA test looks for the antigene, not the antibodies.
Or have I misunderstood your post?
This is what I wrote yes. And this is what I have read. But Im no real expert on this, and if what you say is correct, its of course good. :)
Tx for forewarning me, I will look this up.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
......if they hapoen to get..tested:; they will show as felv+...
No, StefanZ StefanZ , that is NOT the case.

You're thinking of/confusing this with the FIV vaccine......that one resulted in the cat showing positive for FIV.

And, fortunately, that doesn't happen any more, because the FIV vax has been discontinued.