Felv Positive Young Stray Cat Needs Help

catcandu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My co-worker rescued a stray cat, took him in to her vet to be checked out and was told he is FeLV positive. Vet has him on antibiotics and eye drops and he is eating and drinking fine but she has 4 cats of her own and is desperately trying to find someone who is willing to take him. He doesn't appear to be feral, not frightened or anything. Does anyone know of a no-kill or some kind of organization near Riverside, CA area that can accept FelV kitties?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I simply googled "no kill shelters near Riverside, CA" and got several hits. Maybe you could try that and see if anything works, since you know that area better and might know about some of them.

:vibes::vibes::vibes:

Mslady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Unfortunately finding placement for a cat with FeLV is very difficult. Most shelters and rescues won’t take them since they are almost impossible to place in homes. There are some sanctuaries that take them but the wait lists are extremely long and some charge hefty fees for the cats care. I don’t mean to be a Debbie downer but it is the sad truth. In most areas it’s hard enough to find rescue for a healthy adult cat.

If your friend would find an organization that would take the kitty I would highly recommend that she visits them first to see the area where the FeLV cats live. Some are great but I’ve heard horror stories about FeLV rooms

I wish I had better advice for your friend but it’s a tough situation. If I was her I’d get my cats vaccinated ASAP and keep new kitty separated. If her cats are vaccinated and all cats are fixed the risk of spreading the disease is pretty small.
This cats best shot at a good life would be if she stayed with your friend. It is doable.