Feliway & Trimming Claws?

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
I did do a search but not too much came up. So, Violet is not one to enjoy cuddles so the burrito method (or simply just holding her in place) won't work. I was wondering without having to go with the option of temporary anxiety meds, if the Feliway calming spray could assist me in trimming her claws? I've only managed to do about 4 in the last two weeks lmao. It is a pain to take her to the vet on the bus, pay for consultation and trimming which takes them all of half a minute). For anyone who doesn't know us, i've had her since Sept last yr, was a stray, and yes I have lots of experience trimming claws with my last cat, but he was easy. She is indoors, has alot of scratching areas but they only help to shed not blunt.

It's not that she does not like me touching her paws , but she will not allow me to press the claws out/hold toes etc. She will pull her arm straight back, or start batting at me to go away (and as the claws are quite sharp atm batting is a bad thing lol). She isn't a vicious cat, never growls, hisses or bites. But razor blades and her unwillingness to cooperate do not work together. I'm wondering if spraying on her favourite sleeping area (old fabric couch) when she's half asleep (before you say, trying to trim when half asleep is good..well..she wakes up quick! lol). Or do I put a little on my hands when trying to handle her paws? As the diffuser is hella expensive and this is a first attempt at a new product (and more direct than the diffuser), I wondered if it would work? Anyone used the spray over the diffuser for grooming related issues?

Thanks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks but I actually posted in that thread not long ago and have read every single post including the links. I want to know if anyone has combined the Feliway temporary calming spray with trimming time.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Oh, I’m not sure on that. You might be too calm after smelling the Feliway to clip the claws :lol:

Have you tried cat nips? Might work.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmco.side
Oh, I’m not sure on that. You might be too calm after smelling the Feliway to clip the claws :lol:

Have you tried cat nips? Might work.
Hmm, considering i'm human I doubt the feline pheremones will work on me. .. Also should have mentioned she does not react to cat nip unfortunately.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I’m just joking about the Feliway on humans :updown: :smash:

Wait and see if anyone have tried what you mentioned. I’ve not tried it either :dunno:

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Well we've ordered the spray anyway. Hoped someone would have used this product before for this reason. Same brand and ingredients as the diffuser which I know is a popular products. *le sigh*

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have heard of people using the spray in kennels before vet trips and things like that. But never for claw clipping.

I hope it works for you. Please let us know one way or another. If it does it would be great to suggest to other people.

Fannyfreckle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dragoriana / MagesticFloof did the Faliway work as a temporary solution to allow you to clip your cats nails? My 9yr old bengal cat is healthy, super active, and doesn’t ever claw furniture, but her nails seem to be getting longer and there is such loud clicking when she walks. Plus, poor kitty keeps getting her stuck in things, so I am worried she may yank out a nail at some point. I tried working on familiarity exercises (touch the paws, massage the paws) but she is not having it.

Meep22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dragoriana / MagesticFloof did the Faliway work as a temporary solution to allow you to clip your cats nails? My 9yr old bengal cat is healthy, super active, and doesn’t ever claw furniture, but her nails seem to be getting longer and there is such loud clicking when she walks. Plus, poor kitty keeps getting her stuck in things, so I am worried she may yank out a nail at some point. I tried working on familiarity exercises (touch the paws, massage the paws) but she is not having it.
Hi Fannyfreckle! In my experience feliway does not seem to help with uncooperative kitties, especially for nail trims. However all cats will react differently to the pheromones so if you can get a small spray bottle from your vet to try that might be easiest.

Neither of my cats are comfortable having their paws touched but they are okay with being picked up. So we use 2 people and person 1 picks up the kitty and holds them in a shoulder position - cats front paws are on the person 1's shoulder and the person is supporting their weight through the middle and back paws. Then person 2 holds the cat paw in one hand and trims with the other.

If this is the first trim I would only clip off a little to get the cat used to the sensation.