Feliway having opposite effect?

arr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As I’ve written in a few other threads, we have recently been going through repeated reintroductions due to multiple recent vet visits. We successfully made it through the final reintroduction, or so I thought. I really believed we had made it, because the cats were eating together, fully grooming each other, playing together, sleeping near each other. This all sounds like it worked, right? Well, some strange things have been happening.

The first alarming thing is that Penny will just completely lose it with the kittens. She could have just been grooming, laying together, sleeping together, and then 20 minutes later walks by one of them and jumps them, starts hissing and runs away, crouching and growling. I separate them temporarily, and then when we bring them back together, she is absolutely normal. We’ve had three of these incidents in three days, and every one was near the diffusers. I also catch her making strange noises when she is alone near the diffusers, kind of whimpering sounds, and today her tail puffed up. The kittens weren’t around, there was nothing there.

The kittens are different too. Fizzbin is more aggressive. He has always loved to wrestle with the girls, which most of the time they don’t appreciate, and he used to back off. But recently he has become relentless. I always have to break them up now. He is also way more energetic than he used to be.

Chloe has become more energetic as well, and also more fearful. She used to go up into the rafters of the house if we had company come or some other rare incident that scares her. Now she has been up there every day and Penny has also started staying in the rafters.

The final thing is that each of the girls sprayed in the litter box that is in the room that has been closed up with one of the Feliways. This wasn’t an elevator butt, I know what that looks like because Chloe has that problem. This was the real thing, I saw them do it with my own eyes, and we’ve had them for three years and no one has ever sprayed.

Today the kittens were half playing, half fighting, near one diffuser, and they kept going over there and sniffing it, and something just clicked in my brain, could this be the problem? I immediately unplugged them and sealed them in a ziplock bag. Meanwhile, Penny was shut in the bedroom because of her incident with Fizzbin this morning. I spoke to the vet this morning about Penny, and she has a Prozac prescription waiting. But my mind is saying, what’s more logical? That Penny is just randomly descending into madness for no reason, or that something is triggering this behavior? And what could be the trigger other than the diffusers? The only other thing is the reintroduction process itself might have left everyone out of sorts, but I’ve tried so hard to keep a regular schedule of meals, play, affection.

We decided to hold off on the Prozac while we watch the situation now that the diffusers are gone. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? It’s hard to believe because our vet really pushed Feliway, whether we bought it from them or someone else. She was so convinced it would help with the reintroductions.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello - I have read and seen that some cats have a positive reaction to plug-in type calming products, some cats have no reaction at all (my angel Poppycat just hunched into himself when I had him at a vet's clinic where a new vet had come on board--they were diffusing it through their ventilation system [- I didn't stay with them]) and some cats have a reaction that is very much the opposite of what's intended, and become more agitated and upset.

I'm sorry this happened to you. You might put the bag in the freezer or inside another sealed container in the garage because otherwise the cats will still smell/detect it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

arr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello - I have read and seen that some cats have a positive reaction to plug-in type calming products, some cats have no reaction at all (my angel Poppycat just hunched into himself when I had him at a vet's clinic where a new vet had come on board--they were diffusing it through their ventilation system [- I didn't stay with them]) and some cats have a reaction that is very much the opposite of what's intended, and become more agitated and upset.

I'm sorry this happened to you. You might put the bag in the freezer or inside another sealed container in the garage because otherwise the cats will still smell/detect it.
Thank you for letting me know this! I took them out to the garage.

catdad61

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree with Furballsmom Furballsmom . It reminds me of Benadryl, regarding people not cats. It usually causes sedation and drowsiness, but for some people it makes them jittery and hyper.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

arr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, it’s official. The Feliway diffusers were the problem. Since we unplugged them and opened up the windows to air out the house, all the cats have gone back to normal. It’s like there is a completely different atmosphere, and it was literally within a couple hours. They are relaxed, they aren’t stopping to sniff each other every single time they walk by each other, they have gone back to napping and hanging out all over the house instead of everybody always lurking near the diffusers. They are getting along beautifully, exactly like they did before we began this month of reintroductions. For awhile I was beginning to think all these cats had gone insane, especially Penny. Needless to say, I’ll be calling the vet Monday to tell her the Prozac prescription won’t be necessary and to explain this discovery.

I understand that they help a lot of people, but I wish they came with a warning that they could potentially cause the opposite effect. Of course, the manufacturer would never say that. I just feel very upset that I was causing my cats this difficulty, and I worry about other people having this problem and never making the connection. It’s very hard to make the connection when the vet and everything online is telling you that Feliway will help your cats.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I just feel very upset that I was causing my cats this difficulty, and I worry about other people having this problem and never making the connection. It’s very hard to make the connection when the vet and everything online is telling you that Feliway will help your cats.
I agree, it's frustrating. However, good on you that you pinpointed it :bouquet: