Feliway diffuser - requesting input

jc412

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My vet recommended purchasing a feliway diffuser for my lil guy because he has been overgrooming and we think it is attributed to some anxiety (I haven't been home much due to returning back to work in person / recent dental surgery). However, after looking online at customer reviews - I'm a little on the fence and wanted to bring it to this great community! Any input is appreciated. Thanks!!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi
Some have had great results :) but they are expensive.

There are other products, plus there's cat music ;

There's spotify, Youtube, Alexa cat music, RelaxMyCat and MusicForCats.

From Peaches&Mango It’s called Pet Remedy US and UK (it has valerian). They do a variety of different applications of it (wall plug diffuser, wipes, spray etc).

Only Natural Pet has a calming product called Just Relax Calming spray with essential oil (catnip oil).

There's this one, be sure and scroll all the way down the page;
www.bachflower.com

Also, there is ThunderWunders calming chews, Richard's Organic Pet Calm drops, Naturevet Hemp, HomeoPet Anxiety Relief, Head to Tail Calming, Relaxivet Quiet Moments Cat treats, GNC Calming formula, and there is Calm-o-mile, Natures Miracle calming spray, Vetri-Science's Composure is another item to look at, as is Essential Pet Pet-eze, Pet Organics No Stress, Pet Naturals also has one I believe, and there are others such as Feliway.

Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course Chewy, also there's Petwishpros, animaleo, 1-800-petmeds, Petco and PetSmart, and other pet stores.

Food Puzzles for Cats Licki-mats can be very helpful, as cats are calmed by licking.

This post talks about some other products;
Calming Treats For A Very Picky Cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jc412

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi
Some have had great results :) but they are expensive.

There are other products, plus there's cat music ;

There's spotify, Youtube, Alexa cat music, RelaxMyCat and MusicForCats.

From Peaches&Mango It’s called Pet Remedy US and UK (it has valerian). They do a variety of different applications of it (wall plug diffuser, wipes, spray etc).

Only Natural Pet has a calming product called Just Relax Calming spray with essential oil (catnip oil).

There's this one, be sure and scroll all the way down the page;
www.bachflower.com

Also, there is ThunderWunders calming chews, Richard's Organic Pet Calm drops, Naturevet Hemp, HomeoPet Anxiety Relief, Head to Tail Calming, Relaxivet Quiet Moments Cat treats, GNC Calming formula, and there is Calm-o-mile, Natures Miracle calming spray, Vetri-Science's Composure is another item to look at, as is Essential Pet Pet-eze, Pet Organics No Stress, Pet Naturals also has one I believe, and there are others such as Feliway.

Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course Chewy, also there's Petwishpros, animaleo, 1-800-petmeds, Petco and PetSmart, and other pet stores.

Food Puzzles for Cats Licki-mats can be very helpful, as cats are calmed by licking.

This post talks about some other products;
Calming Treats For A Very Picky Cat
Thank you!!!

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought two diffusers after Boone and Gracie had their epic fight last year. I was skeptical that it really worked. That is until I let it run out. Literally the same day, they got into a little tiff. Luckily I had replacements and it's been peaceful since. I am a believer now!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I've only used the spray stuff and it kinda smells like sweet perfume. A bit fruity I didnt notice a difference in my cats behaviour but they smelt like kids perfume for a bit. The vet sprays it on their towels and sprayed some on the carriers. It smells like kids perfume or fruit snacks.

I dont use defusers of any kind because they leave oily streaks all over the walls.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Note about fire risk, which was my biggest worry.

"The Feliway diffuser is constructed with self-extinguishing plastic materials and comply with the International Electro technical commission (IEC), European (EN) and UL required standards. Feliway claims that their diffuser is safe and it is intended to be left plugged in continuously. Some may run for a little longer than 1 month without a refill due to differences in location, air turnover, etc.
However, it should never be left plugged in completely empty as the last few millilitres of liquid are not sufficiently in contact with the wick. It is therefore recommended to refill every month before the liquid runs out." -

Is the Feliway Diffuser a Fire Hazard? (animalpath.org)

Personal experience - our cat didn't seem to notice, it certainly didn't seem to calm her, but nothing except age seemed to do that. I found that I got anxious in the room with it.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Note about fire risk, which was my biggest worry.

"The Feliway diffuser is constructed with self-extinguishing plastic materials and comply with the International Electro technical commission (IEC), European (EN) and UL required standards. Feliway claims that their diffuser is safe and it is intended to be left plugged in continuously. Some may run for a little longer than 1 month without a refill due to differences in location, air turnover, etc.
However, it should never be left plugged in completely empty as the last few millilitres of liquid are not sufficiently in contact with the wick. It is therefore recommended to refill every month before the liquid runs out." -

Is the Feliway Diffuser a Fire Hazard? (animalpath.org)

Personal experience - our cat didn't seem to notice, it certainly didn't seem to calm her, but nothing except age seemed to do that. I found that I got anxious in the room with it.
Ive heard of other defusers getting hot enough to melt the outlet or scorch it notably the glade type ones. Wouldnt surprise me if these are the same thing with a different name on them.

Do Plug-In Air Fresheners Cause House Fires [You'll Be Surprised]

This defuser works the same way as the glade type ones (hot element creates a fine mist) so yes it could potentialy cause a housefire but unlikely unless you run it empty or near drapes, furnature etc.