Feline Lymphoma?

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

GrayTabby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got a call from my vet the other day and she said that the cancer seems to have metastasized. She said if I chose to do the surgery, it would likely involve removal of his mandible. I can't do that. I can't put him through extensive surgeries that will not only be painful, but impact his quality of life.

He also has barely eaten over the last month or so. He appears to be fine, but she must be starving. It's weird. He looks for food, but then when it's put in front of them, he seems to have no interest. I've tried giving him several different foods, mostly with the same results. I have tried ordering a high calorie food from Amazon that should be here in a few days. Hopefully he will eat that. I'm so sad about it. I certainly don't want to put him to sleep, but I also don't want him to suffer. I really don't know what to do.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I got a call from my vet the other day and she said that the cancer seems to have metastasized. She said if I chose to do the surgery, it would likely involve removal of his mandible. I can't do that. I can't put him through extensive surgeries that will not only be painful, but impact his quality of life.

He also has barely eaten over the last month or so. He appears to be fine, but she must be starving. It's weird. He looks for food, but then when it's put in front of them, he seems to have no interest. I've tried giving him several different foods, mostly with the same results. I have tried ordering a high calorie food from Amazon that should be here in a few days. Hopefully he will eat that. I'm so sad about it. I certainly don't want to put him to sleep, but I also don't want him to suffer. I really don't know what to do.
First, I am so sorry you've received this news and diagnosis. I had a somewhat similar situation happen with one of my cats. My cat developed a tumor in his ear that began pressing on his jawbone. It cut off the nerves and left one side of his face paralyzed, and like your cat, he was unable to eat. He WANTED food, but he was unable. After a few days of this, he'd excitedly wait for anything I offered him, and would walk away from it. I feel he was discouraged.
I have no idea to this day how big the tumor was or how fast it was growing. I opted to have a feeding tube put in for him.

Cons:
-The anesthesia risk is always there.
-It's an added expense with no guarantees of extending their life span. My cats lifespan was not extended by this, but, it did improve his quality of life for the time he was still with me.
-It takes some getting used to, but I got the hang of it pretty good and isn't nearly as scary as I had expected.

Pros:
-I chose this because my cat still acted like he felt good. He was following me around, asking for pets, purring, etc.
-I could make sure he got enough food into him without having to stress over "will he eat, or won't he eat."
-Any medications he needed went directly into the tube (aka, no pilling or "sneaking" meds into him.) This goes for any nutritional supplements your vet thinks might be beneficial as well.

I am not trying to nudge you into making this choice. But if it's something you'd be interested in learning more about, you could ask your vet for their input. I sincerely hope your cat feels better. It's agonizing when they are sick. And HUDSONPAT HUDSONPAT I hope your cat is feeling better as well. :grouphug:

HUDSONPAT

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First, I am so sorry you've received this news and diagnosis. I had a somewhat similar situation happen with one of my cats. My cat developed a tumor in his ear that began pressing on his jawbone. It cut off the nerves and left one side of his face paralyzed, and like your cat, he was unable to eat. He WANTED food, but he was unable. After a few days of this, he'd excitedly wait for anything I offered him, and would walk away from it. I feel he was discouraged.
I have no idea to this day how big the tumor was or how fast it was growing. I opted to have a feeding tube put in for him.

Cons:
-It's an added expense with no guarantees of extending their life span. My cats lifespan was not extended by this, but, it did improve his quality of life for the time he was still with me.
-It takes some getting used to, but I got the hang of it pretty good and isn't nearly as scary as I had expected.

Pros:
-I chose this because my cat still acted like he felt good. He was following me around, asking for pets, purring, etc.
-I could make sure he got enough food into him without having to stress over "will he eat, or won't he eat."
-Any medications he needed went directly into the tube (aka, no pilling or "sneaking" meds into him.) This goes for any nutritional supplements your vet thinks might be beneficial as well.

I am not trying to nudge you into making this choice. But if it's something you'd be interested in learning more about, you could ask your vet for their input. I sincerely hope your cat feels better. It's agonizing when they are sick. And HUDSONPAT HUDSONPAT I hope your cat is feeling better as well. :grouphug:
Glad you were able to take measures, but Moki's tumor was almost 2 inches long, near intestines. Diagnosed large cell lymphoma. Vet explained the main tumor was removed, but cancer cells have spread everywhere. Its caused severe anemia too, his gums are white. At this stage, vet didn't suggest chemo either.

I hand feed him delectables, several times a day, and he drinks from his fountain, and he is peeing. But, no poopy at all. His fate is inevitable, but I will keep him here, until I see decline or he lets me know.

GrayTabby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Cons:

Pros:

My situation is pretty much the same thing. He looks like he wants to eat like he always used to do, and then he just walks away after eating very little or none. It's quite sad to see

Thanks for the info. I actually thought about feeding tube, but I don't know if I want to go that route. I'm sure it will be very uncomfortable for him. And what happens if he has to vomit? Am sure that would make a big mess.

He is still acting more or less like normal. He still runs and jumps and does normal cat things that he's done since he was a kitten. If anything, he purrs more than he did before the diagnosis. He likes to nap on my bed during the day, and has been sleeping with me most nights. I will note that his purr is not quite normal and hasn't been for a while. I also have not heard from meow in probably a month. I'm assuming it all has something to do with the tumor.I

I have had him since he was just a little three-month-old kitten. I didn't take him, he picked us. The local animal shelter was having a sale on kittens and we went into the kitten room got introduced to multiple cats. When it came time to meet him, he came out of his cage and was purring nonstop. No matter what, he would not go back into that cage. He was climbing all over my power wheelchair and even found a spot to rest on top of the headrest. I am disabled and will unfortunately most likely never have kids, so he may very well be the closest thing ever have to a son. Of course I want him to be around for as long as possible, but I don't want him to suffer. He doesn't seem to be, but he must be very hungry.

I ordered Amazon.comthis product from Amazon, but it looks like it is going to be delayed, so I may cancel it and see if I can find at a local store. I really prefer supporting the local economy anyway I don't know if it will help him, but it is worth a try.

GrayTabby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Glad you were able to take measures, but Moki's tumor was almost 2 inches long, near intestines. Diagnosed large cell lymphoma. Vet explained the main tumor was removed, but cancer cells have spread everywhere. Its caused severe anemia too, his gums are white. At this stage, vet didn't suggest chemo either.

I hand feed him delectables, several times a day, and he drinks from his fountain, and he is peeing. But, no poopy at all. His fate is inevitable, but I will keep him here, until I see decline or he lets me know.
It's so sad when our fur people get sick. They are not just animals, they're members of the family. Sounds like Moki's having a rough time.h Has he improved at all? Best of luck to him.

We've been giving Sonic Delectables too. He doesn't always eat it, but he does sometimes. Of course, it's not a full meal, but at least it's something. We have another cat, so I can't tell 100%, but I think he is going to the bathroom.

I'm with you on the visual decline thing. He still seems to be enjoying life, wanting to be petted and purring, but the food thing has me worried. He must have lost a lot of weight, and he will only continue to do so if he does not eat. I don't want him to starve to death. The horrible. I don't think I will go either the surgery or chemo route. They are expensive and may not really even extend his life, but will be very hard on him. I will just let nature take its course see what God intends.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My situation is pretty much the same thing. He looks like he wants to eat like he always used to do, and then he just walks away after eating very little or none. It's quite sad to see

Thanks for the info. I actually thought about feeding tube, but I don't know if I want to go that route. I'm sure it will be very uncomfortable for him. And what happens if he has to vomit? Am sure that would make a big mess.

He is still acting more or less like normal. He still runs and jumps and does normal cat things that he's done since he was a kitten. If anything, he purrs more than he did before the diagnosis. He likes to nap on my bed during the day, and has been sleeping with me most nights. I will note that his purr is not quite normal and hasn't been for a while. I also have not heard from meow in probably a month. I'm assuming it all has something to do with the tumor.I

I have had him since he was just a little three-month-old kitten. I didn't take him, he picked us. The local animal shelter was having a sale on kittens and we went into the kitten room got introduced to multiple cats. When it came time to meet him, he came out of his cage and was purring nonstop. No matter what, he would not go back into that cage. He was climbing all over my power wheelchair and even found a spot to rest on top of the headrest. I am disabled and will unfortunately most likely never have kids, so he may very well be the closest thing ever have to a son. Of course I want him to be around for as long as possible, but I don't want him to suffer. He doesn't seem to be, but he must be very hungry.

I ordered Amazon.comthis product from Amazon, but it looks like it is going to be delayed, so I may cancel it and see if I can find at a local store. I really prefer supporting the local economy anyway I don't know if it will help him, but it is worth a try.
I understand the hesitancy, and, it might not be the right choice for him. My vet did warn me that my cat could possibly throw up the tube, but instructed me on what to do if that were to happen. He didn't throw it up, thankfully, but she always gave that warning to everyone just in case. The tube did not seem to bother him. He never scratched at it or acted afraid, but he was a very chill and laid back cat. I was worried somehow it would hurt him, but he'd move around when I was feeding him and settle in and it never acted like it hurt him at all.
I think he did pick you as a kitten. He didn't want you to leave, because he knew you'd love him with all your heart. Even little kittens can read people like that! I will never have kids either, I know how you feel about him being like your son.
I have used the product you ordered. It is incredibly high calorie and most cats like it. Could you call any and all local pet shops and see if they have it in stock tomorrow? It might save you a lot of unnecessary travel and time.
Best to you and your baby. ❤

HUDSONPAT

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Want to thank you all for comments, and caring. I did get couple extra days with my Moki. Now, its time for me to let him cross the bridge. I picked up his toys and dishes, so I wont have a total meltdown later today. (No eating, drinking, etc...staring into space). Have good.bye vet appt at 4 pm today. Perhaps someday, there will be a cure for lymphoma/cancer, for humans and pets too.

Attachments

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Want to thank you all for comments, and caring. I did get couple extra days with my Moki. Now, its time for me to let him cross the bridge. I picked up his toys and dishes, so I wont have a total meltdown later today. (No eating, drinking, etc...staring into space). Have good.bye vet appt at 4 pm today. Perhaps someday, there will be a cure for lymphoma/cancer, for humans and pets too.
As someone who has lost many to cancer, as well as a form of lymphoma, I feel your pain. I am so sorry it has come to this. Helping Moki over is sparing him from pain and suffering, and taking that up yourself so he doesn't have to experience it.
My little black cat, Moki's "twin", passed away on the 8th. He will be there to greet Moki.

GrayTabby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I understand the hesitancy, and, it might not be the right choice for him. My vet did warn me that my cat could possibly throw up the tube, but instructed me on what to do if that were to happen. He didn't throw it up, thankfully, but she always gave that warning to everyone just in case. The tube did not seem to bother him. He never scratched at it or acted afraid, but he was a very chill and laid back cat. I was worried somehow it would hurt him, but he'd move around when I was feeding him and settle in and it never acted like it hurt him at all.
I think he did pick you as a kitten. He didn't want you to leave, because he knew you'd love him with all your heart. Even little kittens can read people like that! I will never have kids either, I know how you feel about him being like your son.
I have used the product you ordered. It is incredibly high calorie and most cats like it. Could you call any and all local pet shops and see if they have it in stock tomorrow? It might save you a lot of unnecessary travel and time.
Best to you and your baby. ❤
I went and bought it and he won't eat it. He's lost almost half his body weight. Sadly, I think his time is coming.

GrayTabby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm very sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, I think my Sonic is right behind him. it's a very sad thing. They are not just animals, they are members of the family. As I said before, I am disabled and will almost certainly never be able to have kids, so sonic may be the closest thing I ever have to a son. Having to make the decision say goodbye permanently is a very difficult thing to do.

I guess the way we have to look at it just that we don't want them to be in pain. We will treasure the good times in our memories.

Attachments

GrayTabby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
To anyone who was paying attention to this thread, my Sonic lost the fight yesterday. He was going to be 12½ at the end of the month. He was the smartest, most inquisitive, most expressive cat I've ever had. I miss him so much already. He was always so healthy and now all of a sudden we'll never see him again. I'm just glad we were able to give him a good home while he was with us. In the end, he had gone down from 11.3 to 6.8 pounds since the end of November. He was just not eating at all, drooling more and more and no longer cleaning himself. However, he was still running, jumping, purring and acting otherwise normal right up to getting in the carrier that would come home empty. Even in the room where his life would end, he was exploring

From the time he was a kitten, he did these cute, soft little snores that weren't at all obnoxious like those of a person. When the vet gave him the sedative, the poor guy flopped over onto my lap and lay there purring/snoring as he went to sleep forever. It was so sad to see and I hated that I had to do it.

This is me and him just before he left for the last time.

Attachments

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
To anyone who was paying attention to this thread, my Sonic lost the fight yesterday. He was going to be 12½ at the end of the month. He was the smartest, most inquisitive, most expressive cat I've ever had. I miss him so much already. He was always so healthy and now all of a sudden we'll never see him again. I'm just glad we were able to give him a good home while he was with us. In the end, he had gone down from 11.3 to 6.8 pounds since the end of November. He was just not eating at all, drooling more and more and no longer cleaning himself. However, he was still running, jumping, purring and acting otherwise normal right up to getting in the carrier that would come home empty. Even in the room where his life would end, he was exploring

From the time he was a kitten, he did these cute, soft little snores that weren't at all obnoxious like those of a person. When the vet gave him the sedative, the poor guy flopped over onto my lap and lay there purring/snoring as he went to sleep forever. It was so sad to see and I hated that I had to do it.

This is me and him just before he left for the last time.
I am so sorry for your loss. :( It is so hard to lose them, even if the final act spares them suffering. As hard as it is, I am glad he was able to go with helpful assistance in your lap vs. facing a potentially painful or terrifying end.
Like you, I am not married and have no children. These guys really do take on an incredibly powerful role in our lives, and their loss is mourned so deeply.
Hugs to you. :hugs:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss of Sonic. He is a beautiful boy who was given a wonderful life by you. People do read these threads, even those who do not post and many, many people read about Sonic. The account of how he chose you when you came to the shelter is so heartwarming. He knew you were for him.

You tried as hard as you could to help Sonic and I am in complete agreement about not continuing on with treating anything which would require the removal of the mandible. I lost a cat years ago to oral squamous cell carcinoma and even the biopsy left her in extreme discomfort. Oral cancers are fast moving and aggressive and you provided great love and care for Sonic just as you did for the happier times in his life.

GrayTabby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I didn't think I would shed actual tears, but I have.
I am so sorry for your loss of Sonic. He is a beautiful boy who was given a wonderful life by you. People do read these threads, even those who do not post and many, many people read about Sonic. The account of how he chose you when you came to the shelter is so heartwarming. He knew you were for him.

You tried as hard as you could to help Sonic and I am in complete agreement about not continuing on with treating anything which would require the removal of the mandible. I lost a cat years ago to oral squamous cell carcinoma and even the biopsy left her in extreme discomfort. Oral cancers are fast moving and aggressive and you provided great love and care for Sonic just as you did for the happier times in his life.
Thank you. He was a great kitty. I keep half expecting to go into my room and see him on the bed. Alas, that won't happen.

I didn't think I would shed tears, but I did. I cried for the first time since 7th grade. I didn't even cry when I had a spinal cord injury at 21.

I'm just glad I was able to provide a good life for him while he was here.I already miss him so much

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry. I wish there was some way to make our loved ones stay with us, but there isn’t. And, it is so hard lose them. These little cats get so much closer to us than any human ever could. They truly know us and accept us as we are. At least to me it is that way. I know I have grieved more for my cat I had to let go than I ever did for a person that died. It is so hard.

Please allow yourself time to grieve and process everything. I am so sorry.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm just glad I was able to provide a good life for him while he was here
You absolutely did and I hope that in time those memories will come back to comfort you. If you would like to post a memorial tribute to Sonic in our Crossing the Bridge forum, you are welcome to do so.
Crossing the Bridge

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I didn't think I would shed actual tears, but I have.

Thank you. He was a great kitty. I keep half expecting to go into my room and see him on the bed. Alas, that won't happen.

I didn't think I would shed tears, but I did. I cried for the first time since 7th grade. I didn't even cry when I had a spinal cord injury at 21.

I'm just glad I was able to provide a good life for him while he was here.I already miss him so much
Sonic had a wonderful life with you. He was so loved and cared for and it's unfortunate that many cats don't ever experience that in their lives. You gave him such excellent care and made sure he was happy, which is so important. As S silent meowlook stated, they accept us as who we are.

Status
Not open for further replies.