Feline Lymphoma?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrayTabby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 12-year-old cat, Sonic, has always very healthy since I got him as a three-month-old kitten. Toward the end of last month, we noticed that his nictitating membrane in his left eye wasn't closing all the way, he had a small bump on the left side of his face and he was drooling just a tiny bit every now and then. He was his normal 11ish pounds at that point. The veterinarian figured it was an infection and gave antibiotic drops to put into both his mouth and eye and we were told to make an appointment two weeks later. Two weeks later, we brought him back in the I was not quite back to normal, but getting better. The thing was, he lost about a pound since his previous visit and the vet started thinking that it was lymphoma and took him back and gave him a steroid shot. However, she never took any tissue samples. I brought him back two weeks after that appointment, which was last Friday, and he'd lost 0.5 pounds. His eye is back to normal though

I'm sure the vet knows what she's talking about, but how can she know it's cancer without taking any samples? What if it's just an infection that you could beat?

A little on me. I am a 35-year-old quadriplegic. I live with my parents and will almost certainly never have a significant other or kids. Sadly, Sonic is probably the closest thing to us I will ever have. I am not made of money, but I would like to do anything I can within reason. On the other hand though, I don't want to put him through a bunch of harsh treatments that will wreck his body. I think for now we are just going to let nature take its course.

Anyway, has anyone had experience with a similar situation to this? He used to be all about food, but in the last week or so, and especially today, he's had trouble. We've gotten him some broth-type and lickable food. Any other ideas somebody might have? I always thought he was going to meet with me until he was 20. 12 Is way too early to go.

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to read and especially answer my question. I will be going out to my Thursday night trivia thing tonight, so I may not see responses until tomorrow.

Here is a picture of Mr. Sonic, aka Puss Puss aka lots of other thing.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS, although I am sorry it is for something going on with Sonic. Is the bump still on his face? Has his third eye gone back to normal? Is he still drooling? Did the vet run blood work to look at his numbers? Was there any mention of doing additional tests, such as checking his thyroid (simple blood test too)? Weight loss is the most common sign of hyperthyroidism.

Yes, I would have thought they could have taken a swab of that spot to test the tissue. What did the vet say to explain why they went right to the idea of cancer?

A little more information, if you have any would be helpful. If no blood work was done, that is the first place I would start. There is a chance the two issues are unrelated, and maybe a full scale blood work up would give some clues.

Between this being something else, and your cat's young age, you have plenty of options to consider if you had more information.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GrayTabby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The bump has moved behind his left ear. His eye is pretty much back to normal and I haven't seen him drool in a couple weeks probably. No, I don't think she did any bloodwork, nor was there any mention of his thyroid. I guess she went with cancer right away just because she felt the mass. Maybe I should get a second opinion somewhere ASAP. You've definitely brought up some good points. I actually didn't think she hadn't taken a tissue sample until we'd just left. It seems to me that that's what should be done right away.

You definitely given me some things to ponder. Thank you for doing so. I'm sure I will be on here periodically giving updates. Hopefully good ones, but the bad ones too.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The bump has moved behind his left ear.
It sounds odd that cancer would 'move' around, so maybe something else for sure.
Maybe I should get a second opinion somewhere ASAP.
Do you have access to other vets - referrals from friends, neighbors, family members? You can always try talking to this vet you saw about taking other measurements, such as blood work and a tissue sample, but that is up to you in terms of whether or not you want to work with her. If you do go to another vet, ask to get copies of whatever notes/records this vet has so you can share them.

Keep us posted!

GrayTabby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It sounds odd that cancer would 'move' around, so maybe something else for sure.

Do you have access to other vets - referrals from friends, neighbors, family members? You can always try talking to this vet you saw about taking other measurements, such as blood work and a tissue sample, but that is up to you in terms of whether or not you want to work with her. If you do go to another vet, ask to get copies of whatever notes/records this vet has so you can share them.

Keep us posted!
Yep, there are some other vets in the area. I'll look around and make some calls.

GrayTabby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Keep us posted!
He has an appointment with the different vet this afternoon. Let's s/he will have a better idea

GrayTabby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I hope things go well and you get more help with the new vet!!
Thank you. The vet today agreed that it may be lymphoma, so she thought getting a tissue sample like I said was a good idea. When she went to draw from the tumor, I would came a lot of liquid. She said that is fairly unusual. She will send it out for testing and she said we should get the results Tuesday or Wednesday. I did some reading and saw that liquid may be benign, so I'm hoping for that. But then we still have the problem of putting pressure on his trachea and making it hard to swallow.

He also lost another pound from last week, so he's down from about 11.3 to 8.8, just going off the top of my head. I may be off a little, but it's around there. She gave him an appetite stimulant as well it gets rubbed on his years. you will start doing that tomorrow. We were also supposed to have had some special treats coming, but for some reason Amazon sent us in search for men's shoes instead. And Amazon representatives said some more will be sent, but it won't get here until Tuesday. He's been having trouble eating his food lately, although he had no problem today. Let's hope this all works out for him.

Oh I forgot the event will also be doing bloodwork. That's all I can think of for now and I have something to attend to now anyway. If people are interested, I will provide updates going forward. Sonic is of course the supervisor, the boss, king of this house. Long live the king!

HUDSONPAT

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Moki, 7 yr old neutered male, had a 4 cm mass removed from intestine area. Biopsy has been diagnosed as Large cell Lymphoma. Vet suggests Prednolisone (steroid) treatment at home. There are other treatments, such as chemo and radiation, but unfortunately the prognosis for large cell lymphoma (LCL) is significantly lower, with only 50-70% of cats achieving remission and a median survival time of 2-9 months. In other words, my little fur-baby will not live a full life. I am devastated.

GrayTabby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Moki, 7 yr old neutered male, had a 4 cm mass removed from intestine area. Biopsy has been diagnosed as Large cell Lymphoma. Vet suggests Prednolisone (steroid) treatment at home. There are other treatments, such as chemo and radiation, but unfortunately the prognosis for large cell lymphoma (LCL) is significantly lower, with only 50-70% of cats achieving remission and a median survival time of 2-9 months. In other words, my little fur-baby will not live a full life. I am devastated.
I'm verysorry to hear that. It's so sad. I hope he can beat the odds. Best of luck.

Sonic's results came in the other day and it shows a high probably of cancer. The original thought was lymphoma, but squamous cell carcinoma and cancerous salivary gland have also been floated. There are options of surgery or chemo, but I'm not sure what I want to do. I don't want to put him through harsh treatments that will wreck his body and only extend his life a few months.

He also has hardly been eating, even though I was given an appetite stimulant to give to him.

HUDSONPAT

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am slowly accepting this horrible diagnosis, and prognosis. I am a senior, fixed income, and cannot afford chemo. The surgery cost etc. maxed out my credit card. With friends suggestions, I made bone broth and am giving him syringes of pedialite, with a trace of apple cider vinegar. However, he eats only 10 or 12 kibble pcs a day. He has lost couple lbs. But, still purrs and gives me a lick or two. Today, I will pick up Mirataz appetite stimulant. Will keep you posted.

GrayTabby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am slowly accepting this horrible diagnosis, and prognosis. I am a senior, fixed income, and cannot afford chemo. The surgery cost etc. maxed out my credit card. With friends suggestions, I made bone broth and am giving him syringes of pedialite, with a trace of apple cider vinegar. However, he eats only 10 or 12 kibble pcs a day. He has lost couple lbs. But, still purrs and gives me a lick or two. Today, I will pick up Mirataz appetite stimulant. Will keep you posted.
That's sad, I'm sorry. I'm disabled and also not made of money. I could probably afford chemo/surgery, but I'm not sure if it's even worth it. I might give him some chicken breast. I didn't think of Pedialite, but that's a good thought.

My vet gave me mirtazapine too. It works to some degree. We try to get him to eat a couple times a day.

Sonic has actually been purring more than normal lately. I always thought he would be with me until he was 20. I can't bear to think that he could be gone soon. He may be the closest thing I ever have to a son, sadly.

HUDSONPAT

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I do alot of research. Moki's tumor was 4 cm. As I said, this is his death sentence. Vet follow up on tues., jan. 9. to discuss biopsy results in depth. Choices are limited...prednisolone or chemo.
-How long do cats live after chemotherapy?
Between 50%-75% of cats with gastrointestinal large cell lymphoma receiving CHOP chemotherapy respond to treatment and their prognosis is between 6-9 months. Cats that achieve a complete remission live longer than those achieving a partial remission and a small percentage can live more than 2 years.
-How long can a cat live after tumor is removed?
Cats with tumors larger than 3 cm in diameter have a median survival time of 4 to 6 months; cats with tumors 2 to 3 cm in diameter have a median survival time of about 2 years, and cats with tumors less than a 2 cm in diameter tumor have a median survival time of over 3 years.

HUDSONPAT

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I do alot of research. Moki's tumor was 4 cm. As I said, this is his death sentence. Vet follow up on tues., jan. 9. to discuss biopsy results in depth. Choices are limited...prednisolone or chemo.
-How long do cats live after chemotherapy?
Between 50%-75% of cats with gastrointestinal large cell lymphoma receiving CHOP chemotherapy respond to treatment and their prognosis is between 6-9 months. Cats that achieve a complete remission live longer than those achieving a partial remission and a small percentage can live more than 2 years.
-How long can a cat live after tumor is removed?
Cats with tumors larger than 3 cm in diameter have a median survival time of 4 to 6 months; cats with tumors 2 to 3 cm in diameter have a median survival time of about 2 years, and cats with tumors less than a 2 cm in diameter tumor have a median survival time of over 3 years.
Side note: I got Moki at 5 wks old from a horror.house...he weighed 6 oz....and 2 oz was fleas. ugh. He had terrible worms and infections, took 4 months to get him healed. Attaching a pic; his head tad bigger than golf ball

Attachments

GrayTabby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Side note: I got Moki at 5 wks old from a horror.house...he weighed 6 oz....and 2 oz was fleas. ugh. He had terrible worms and infections, took 4 months to get him healed. Attaching a pic; his head tad bigger than golf ball
Wow he had a tough life. I'm sorry. And now he has to go through this. I feel for him. But think how much better you made his life in the time you had together.

Unfortunately they don't live forever, but once they're gone physically, they will live on in memory. All we can do is treasure the times we had together.

HUDSONPAT

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Worst news from vet. The cancer spread very quickly, he is severely anemic. It was high grade lymphoma. There is no hope. He may be in some pain. I have a ...goodbye....appt at vet on monday, jan. 15. I had to have a couple days to snuggle with him, and say how much he meant to me...

HUDSONPAT

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Worst news from vet. The cancer spread very quickly, he is severely anemic. It was high grade lymphoma. There is no hope. He may be in some pain. I have a ...goodbye....appt at vet on monday, jan. 15. I had to have a couple days to snuggle with him, and say how much he meant to me...
I am slowly accepting his demise...I ordered a beautiful cat urn...it came today...It says...You came into my life and left paw prints on my heart.
urn.for.moki.jpg

HUDSONPAT

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update...fantastic news...I textd neighbor Karen, involved w. cat colonies, ferals, etc…told her Moki was eatin tad, drinkin tad…wee.wee ing...I sent her pic…she said…he not ready to go. Said, if he moving around, eatin, peein…perhaps Monday is too soon. So..I called vet, canxd Monday. If things worsen, I will call for another appt. I have finally stopped sobbing...any extra time is what we pray for.

GrayTabby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update...fantastic news...I textd neighbor Karen, involved w. cat colonies, ferals, etc…told her Moki was eatin tad, drinkin tad…wee.wee ing...I sent her pic…she said…he not ready to go. Said, if he moving around, eatin, peein…perhaps Monday is too soon. So..I called vet, canxd Monday. If things worsen, I will call for another appt. I have finally stopped sobbing...any extra time is what we pray for.
Hopefully it'll be more extra time then you think. Best of luck with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.