Feline Leukemia

Luna10

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys! I have a precious 4 and a half yr old cat named, Luna. She was a stray that we started letting in when she was about 6 months old. And became a fully indoor cat when she was almost 2. When she about a year old. We took her to the vet to get fixed when they did the feline lukemia test. I ended up coming back positive. At that time the vet told us not even to worry about getting her fixed because she probably wouldn't last long. (We've since changed vets and our current vet said she has seen cats with leukemia last up to 15 plus years. I like our new vet much better, lol.)

Here we are a few years later and she's perfectly fine. Aside from having surgery for pyometra 2 years ago and the upper respiratory colds she gets maybe once or twice a year, she is perfectly fine. Honestly there are times we even forget she has leukemia because she just seems so normal.

Today I took her to the vet for a check up. She has gingivitis and her gums are starting to recede on one side. The vet said it's nothing too severe right now but in the near future we might have to start really thinking about what to do. Which would most likely be extraction.

Before her last surgery for the pyometra I asked a lot of questions to the vet. Making sure it would be worth my cat going through since she has leukemia. Although she seems like a normal healthy cat the majority of the time, I would hate for her to go through so much such as surgery and then shortly after something goes wrong with the leukemia. I just wanted to make sure it was worth it for her.

I'm asking the same question again. Since we might be faced with another surgery in the future, can anybody tell me how it was for their cats that went through teeth extraction? Was it pretty easy for them to heal from? And to those with cats with feline leukemia - she's going to be 5 and may. In your opinion, do you think it would be wise for me to go ahead and get her the surgery, with her having leukemia and all. As long as she seems normal and healthy in every other way.

I am of course not putting off the inevitable. If the vet said the odds weren't great or she was probably not going to live much longer, obviously I wouldn't put her through any kind of surgery, and would most likely put her down to prevent her from suffering. But according to the vet she's in good health.
Any advice or info would be appreciated! I'm so sorry for such a long post. God bless!

CaliCatCharlie

Living FeLV Pawwwsitive!
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a 3 year old kitty that is FeLV positive. He too is really active, healthy and happy. He had some issues this past weekend and ended up at the vet. It got me thinking also. How much can I put him through? How will I know when he’s had enough? The vet assured me Charlie would be fine and he’s a very long way from serious health complications. He did great and is recovering great.

Just keep an open communication with your vet and let them know all your concerns. They will be able to assist along the road of FeLV.

Now I don’t know anything about kitty teeth. But I do know a lot of people here do know. And everyone here is great.

Good luck and snuggles to Luna.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Luna10

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much replying back! Snuggles to your little as well!