Feline Hyperesthesia-Cat Schizophrenia

aditto3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

A couple of months ago, my husband and I found a friendly, beautiful cat outside our relatively country home. We figured she had been dumped because she was still clean and we had never seen her. She was very hungry, so we fed her and gave her water. I then I took some pictures to post on my FB to see if anyone recognized her in our community. No one did. I then tried to find her a home. No one wanted her. We couldn't leave her outside, cause we live next to a highway. Against our better judgement, because we knew it would be stressful...we brought her in to our home and bathed her (just to make sure she was flea free) and started to introduce her to our other 3 cats...which didn't go well. They didn't like her at all. I fixed a sanctuary room and would only let her out when we were home. Of course we fell in love with this beauty that was so loving and needy! I named her Audrey. Things went well until we got her spayed. After returning home...she has started having episodes where she literally goes crazy. Her back ripples and shakes and she flops around the floor trying to bite herself. Her eyes become large and then she starts running and running, trying to climb the walls, windows and furniture. She runs into things and looks around the room as if things are up there. If anything or anyone gets in her way...she attacks it. This include our 14 year old calico, Ashes, who is quite frail. We talked to some cat rescue friends and it is clear that this is FHS.
This has become so stressful. Most of the day she is ok, but especially towards evening and night...she has 4 or 5 of these attacks. It's like she has no idea who we are. She will act like she is eating food when there is nothing there and she acts like she's being chased by something that she's scared of. Then she will run to the food bowl and eat like she is starving, then collapse and sleep for a while. The attacks on our cats are so random. We will think she is fine and begin to trust her and then she will viciously attack one of them. We don't have much money at the moment...I so wish that money weren't an issue, but it is. So seeing a costly vet is out of the question. I don't know what is best? I love her very much and she has been a comfort to me after losing my father in December. I almost thought she was sent to me for healing...but this is not that. I do not like to give up on anyone or anything...but are we the best home for her? Should we try to find her an outside home or a 1 cat home? Or worse, is her schizophrenia cruel for her?
We got some Rescue Remedy that works well, but it almost sedates her too much and she comes out of the sedation with a vengeance! I'm at a loss as to what to do and crying isn't solving anything. We just have to watch this beautiful creature be tormented day in and day out. :( Does anyone have any words of encouragement or advice? I'd appreciate anything...
Thank you

Geoffrey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello Aditto3, welcome to the Forum,

The diagnosis of feline Hyperaesthesia/schizophrenia (FHS) is by exclusion.  In other words you have to exclude a number of conditions that cause similar symptoms before you can make the diagnosis.  Whereas FHS is difficult to cure, (and has not been adequately researched), conditions such as hyperthyroidism are relatively common, can mimic the symptoms of FHS and can be cured. 

I am a human doctor, not a cat one, but I advise you strongly not to make your own diagnosis of FHS as you may well be wrong.   I believe that, despite the cost, you should  seek a veterinary opinion.  If you are short of cash, most vets put the patient before money and would help you out if you were to discuss the fee with them.

With best wishes,

Geoffrey

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just in case she has been officially diagnosed with FHS, here are some threads that might be helpful:

(in this one, this cat was put to sleep, but there are helpful links with the thread, so I am including it:  http://www.thecatsite.com/t/311039/anyone-have-a-kitty-with-fhs-and-severe-aggression-issues

http://www.thecatsite.com/t/271300/need-help-my-cat-has-fhs-and-im-at-a-loss-what-to-do-now

THIS thread discusses the role food plays with FHS (to some extent):  http://www.thecatsite.com/t/250756/hissing-and-growling-at-nothing-biting-and-attacking-her-tail

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aditto3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi again! Sorry it has been so long since I replied. I was waiting on an official diagnosis. Audrey is definitely an FHS kitty. We have been on quite a journey with her. BUT I am proud to say that the vets are quite impressed with our handling of her and her episodes are getting better without any major medications or even the declawing that they suggested. It takes a lot of patience, but with the help of Rescue Remedy calming drops and hefty doeses of catnip all through the house, a safe room when things get too bad and tons and tons of playing and attention...Audrey is starting to settle into a routine that makes her episodes less severe. I am pretty sure I am almost an expert on FHS or kitty schizophrenia as it seems more apt to call it since meeting Audrey. I am thankful every day for her! We will give her the best life we can! :)

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh good grief, your vets suggested DECLAWING her????  Perhaps your vets could just trim her nails and use those feline nail caps.  I'm so glad you didn't do that.   The last thing this cat needs is excruciating pain and needing to learn how to walk again.  In my opinion, it would be kinder to put her to sleep than to declaw her!

There are vets who put the comfort of the animal ahead of all else, and there are vets who put the comfort of the human above all else.  Those who declaw are the latter.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise

Hi again! Sorry it has been so long since I replied. I was waiting on an official diagnosis. Audrey is definitely an FHS kitty. We have been on quite a journey with her. BUT I am proud to say that the vets are quite impressed with our handling of her and her episodes are getting better without any major medications or even the declawing that they suggested. It takes a lot of patience, but with the help of Rescue Remedy calming drops and hefty doeses of catnip all through the house, a safe room when things get too bad and tons and tons of playing and attention...Audrey is starting to settle into a routine that makes her episodes less severe. I am pretty sure I am almost an expert on FHS or kitty schizophrenia as it seems more apt to call it since meeting Audrey. I am thankful every day for her! We will give her the best life we can! :)
Thank you for taking such wonderful care of her. She is so lucky to have you as her family. 

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
You ask if you are the best home for Audrey:  it sounds like you are the perfect cat home for her.   Your commitment to trying to understand her and what is happening in her world and try to make it better for her is wonderful.   Having the sense to see that something as drastic as declawing would not make things better for her but unimaginably worse, and to persevere with other ways to help her is the best thing you could have done.  It is sad that your other cats are not tolerant of her but perhaps they have had a sense of something being different with her from when they first met, and one day if her health imporoves they might accept her.   

I have no ideas to help you in her care but certainly wish to thank you for being there for her, and for your other cats.  It sounds like you are educating your vets as well so only Audrey being healed could be better than that.