Feline fiasco

explodom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Of all the cats I've known, only my newest cat has the nerve to do these things. It chases our hens (sending them shrieking), climbs onto the car after it has been washed (making his muddy footprints all over it) and sharpen his claws on the car tires. After these annoying habits, he has recently reached puberty. A female cat has stationed itself under a little shed outside my room (in heat). All the male cats arrive fighting for her. It has been going on for over an four hours now and its getting hard to sit in peace and sleep.
1 : Is there a way to stop my cats annoying habits without punishment?
2 : Is there a way to move the female cat elsewhere so that I can JUST GO TO SLEEP!!?

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are all of these cats yours or are they strays?

If they're yours, get them all spayed and neutered ASAP.

If they're strays, contact SPCA or rescues and see if they'll do TNR or take in the strays if they're suitable for indoor homes. Depending on where you live, I'm not sure if the cats benefit your area or not (like for mousing) - if they benefit you and you can care for them, the cats don't have to be (re)homed but getting them spayed and neutered will be key. These aren't habits, these are hormones. Cats are also territorial, so they like their turf.

Based on your posting history, I would recommend getting the rescue or humane society to take the cats into their care instead of leaving them with you since your parents are against you having or feeding the cats at all. You can let them know that unaltered strays and ferals are frequenting your area a lot. There are a lot of people who manage colonies by feeding, taking in the cats that can be brought to indoor homes, relocate if needed, and will definitely spay and neuter. It will take a lot of pressure off of you.

When it comes to the chasing and the scratching, the best thing you can do is divert those behaviours elsewhere. Play with him lots. Help him get his energy out, especially with young cats who are full of energy. Play with him with wand toys and give him stuff to chase. Give him scratching posts, indoors or outdoors if you can. If you catch him scratching at tires, you can use a loud hissing sound (like saying an extended SSSSSSS sound). It's a natural sound for cats that they readily recognize as a "HEY! Stop it!" You can encourage him to use scratchers by using things like catnip spray or rubbing some catnip on posts he is allowed to scratch, like fence posts your parents don't mind getting damaged.

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
@explodom  I think the answer to this problem is the same answer to the problems you mentioned in your other threads; spaying and neutering your cats.

If you let us know where you are we can help you find a vet.

You can send me a PM if you'd rather not post your location on the forums.