Felimazole-Can it be cut?

sarmcl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Newly diagnosed 14 year old cat with hyperthyroidism. She’s very very smart and tried hiding pill in food multiple times and she finds that dang Pill. Tried Greenies pill sleeve and she wanted nothing to do w that

trying to grab her and shove a pill down her throat twice a day ain’t happening

i know you shouldn’t crush them but can I cut in half to at least hide better in her food?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I actually crush Felimazole and put it into Feeby's food or a lickable treat. I was never told by my vet that the pills couldn't be cut or crushed, despite that is what many online documents indicate. The only reason I know of for not cutting/crushing them is that they may not be as effective. It is also an advisement that has to do with the humans touching the pills so as not to have any of the meds absorbed into their system. Another thing I have never paid attention to and have never had issues as a result. I also joined a Hyper-T forum where almost everyone treating their cats with Felimazole or Methimazole are either cutting them or crushing them.

Aside from that, the pills come in standard dosages that are often times too high and have to be cut in order to obtain the correct amount. The only way to avoid that would be to have the meds compounded, which is more expensive. Or, put into transdermal form for application to the inner ear - also more expensive.

So, if you are hesitant to crush them, then I suspect you can - at a minimum - cut them in half. In fact, Methimazole - which I was giving Feeby before I switched to Felimazole, and also says not to cut/crush - comes in scored tablets for the very purpose of cutting them.

Btw, I don't know what your cat's T4 level was, but most vets start off with way too high of a dosage to begin with. That can lead to med intolerance and even stoppage to allow the cat's body to 're-set'. From most folks on this site and the Hyper-T forum, a dose of 1.25 mg twice a day is recommended and can then be adjusted when blood work is done, usually 3-4 weeks after starting this med, and then again 4 or so weeks later. This also allows a cat's body to adapt to the new med, lessening the chance of side effects.

Last edited:

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I always had to crush Fiona's and put them in BFF cat food. She did fine for several years. The bigger problem is not getting the medication into them at all.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Betty doesn't take that particular medicine. But I pack her pred and ondansetron into size five gelatin capsules and twist them into Hills A/D, just enough to coat the capsule, not enough that she can simply lick off the food and leave the capsule behind. I drop this coated capsule on a textured surface (carpet for her, but considering switching to washable placemats.) The carpet is there to prevent the lick and flick where she licks the food off and flicks the capsule away. Instead, she has learned to scoop and swallow. Even on meals she sniffs and snubs her food, she always shows up for and willingly takes her own meds.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The bigger problem is not getting the medication into them at all.
A very good point too!

You can also try the techniques daftcat75 daftcat75 has offered, they may work for you too! But, if your cat is anything like mine, she found a way to reject all of them, so crushed meds it is for her! Although, I have managed to take a small dose of ondansetron and hide it in half of a pill pocket - so far, so good! A whole pill pocket was spit out!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarmcl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Great! Thank you everyone for your advice. I am just planning on crushing/cutting it. It’s way easier to get in her. I am not going to hunt her down and try getting that down her throat. She will be too stressed and I would just feel better putting in her food. Some medication at this point is better than nothing!