Feeling Very Overwhelmed...

Yodasmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat Yoda (almost 9 years old) first had constipation really bad over 2 years ago. Since then we have successfully treated her with Lactulose, 2ml once a day. She has also had a slight limp which the vet said was luxating putella, but she got around just fine.

About a month ago, we started having more constipation issues, where she would go 3 days with no poop, even on an increased dose of Lactulose. I started looking at changing her diet.

Last Friday, Yoda had her last bowel movement. On Saturday afternoon, she starts limping really badly. Two vet visits later, they say she has severe constipation and also arthritis, even though the arthritis doesn't show on the x-ray. They were very worried today because not only has she not had a bowel movement, but she has not even been attempting to go, not straining or anything. But her behavior shows that she has clearly been very uncomfortable (sleeping a lot, eating less, etc.) They say that could be a sign of mega colon. So they did a procedure where they manually clear her colon while under sedation. It went well but her colon is a little enlarged.

What is freaking me out is they are sending her home tomorrow with FIVE medications! Lactulose, Cisapride, Cascara (an herbal laxative), Cosequin (she has already been on forever), and a pain medication. 2 are twice a day, Cisapride is 3 times a day, and Cosequin is once a day. I am very worried about getting the cat to take this much medication. Cosequin and theoretically Cisapride can go in her food crushed up, but she often doesn't finish her food. She is used to the Lactulose liquid, but the Cascara apparently tastes bad, and the pain med is a liquid too. Does anyone else have a cat on this much medication? How do you handle it? She is horrible at taking pills, doesn't eat treats, and won't touch those pill pocket things. I feel really overwhelmed.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Someone mentioned that they used a little bit of prosciutto for pills.
Is there any way you could talk with another vet about all these meds?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yodasmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wanted to see how she is when I get her home, and how well she handles the meds. The vet who treated her is off tomorrow and another vet will be calling me. I may raise it up to her, but Yoda had so much trouble that I think all the laxatives may be needed. The Cosequin is no big deal, but getting her to take Cisapride 3 times a day is going to be a struggle. And I'm worried about getting her to take the Cascara every day without having her run from me when she sees me coming.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Not that YOU don't know this and just about everyone on this site as well, but it just drives me a little (or more) nuts that vets and the pharma industry can't seem to figure out how to dose felines in a way that works.
Doesn't do a darn thing if a person can't get it in the cat!! :storm:

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Hi Y Yodasmom . I know you said your kitty doesn’t like Pill Pockets, but maybe you’ll find something in this article that helps: Pilling Cats and Dogs Safely

I have a semi feral and the thought of trying to pill her makes me shudder. I hope Yoda does okay.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yodasmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. The whole situation has been stressful, and the idea of trying to get 5 medications into Yoda multiple times a day is daunting. I have to keep reminding myself that I will do my best and that’s all I can do.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. The whole situation has been stressful, and the idea of trying to get 5 medications into Yoda multiple times a day is daunting. I have to keep reminding myself that I will do my best and that’s all I can do.
please do not try this without talking to the vet, it could make her sick, i dont know. some think its a bad idea. But many cats are lactose intolerant, milk gives them diarrhea. The trick is to figure out the amount of milk so as not to cause diarrhea, but to reduce the constipation. I read a few articles lately, that old school vets use to have their constipated cats drink whole cows milk. I did also read that if the cat is blocked it can cause distress and a lot of pain. And i would not try it with all the meds she is on, or without the vets advice, it may not be safe, i dont know.. Might be something to bring up with him?