Feeling Helpless..

traveil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So this morning I found out she (my stray cat) was shivering from head to toe and doesn't like it when I picked her up. She gave out a loud meow when I carried her and I realised she did not have much appetite to eat. Immediately I knew something was amiss and booked the earliest appointment time to the vet nearby. They ran some xrays on her and they said her left shoulder was injured. Since it was a stray cat, I have no means of keeping her indoors. When I was back from the vet and I let her out of the cage, she didn't want to move at all. I have no idea what did the vets do to her till she's so unwillingly to move. She seems fine back at the vet for consultation. When I carried her, she let out a even greater meow than before, clearing indicating she doesn't want to be touched and to be left alone. How to even move her around when she doesn't even want to be touched? She kept looking at the door, hoping to find a way out.. Side note, I can't adopt her...if i could, she would've long been in my room as i type now.. I feel so helpless for her. Before i left my office, I left her in a spare room, with food and water and her favorite pillow she always sleep on. It was quite stuffy inside and have close to no wind at all. I am now praying she wouldn't try to jump out and aggravate her injuries. Vet recommends me to keep her indoors so that she wouldn't try to fight with other cats and also it's safer indoors. But now i am locking her in a room a whole night, is it cruel for me to do so? She gave me a pitiful meow when i heartlessly half closed the door.. I really wish she can be back herself sooner or later...i feel so sad... :( She is spayed, about 7 years old, female. If animals could talk, and tell me what they are feeling...i wouldn't feel so bad as i am right now...

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
once she realizes she is safe inside, the reduced stress should help her heal. As for what is wrong with her, some injuries really do just need rest and a lack of use of the limb. If you call your vet, they probably wrote what the injury was on her chart, which means the receptionist could tell you.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for taking that poor kitty to the vet. If the room is stuffy, you can give her a small room fan as long as she has a place to hide, such as an open carrier, until she adjusts. She is safer inside whether or not she realizes it and much more comfortable than lying on the ground among the ants and other creepy-crawlies. Animals and people often just need "tincture of time" to make a good recovery. Hopefully the vet gave her some pain meds. She might be sore from having the area manipulated. She might enjoy some soothing "cat" music to help her relax as she catalogs the sounds, scents and sights of your household's routine. Prayers and vibes for her speedy healing and maybe an adopter who can keep her inside :vibes::vibes::vibes:

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's definitely good for her to be inside while she heals, even better if she has a room to herself. Give her a pet bed or pillow, maybe a folded up blanket, something soft to lay on and make sure she has a litterbox, food, and water nearby so she doesn't have to move around so much.

Spend time in there with her whenever you can to help her feel more comfortable, you don't have to do anything but sit and talk to her or even just take a nap.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

traveil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all, thanks for all the positive responses given. She's stucked indoors for 2 days straight. She constantly wants to get out...i tried bringing her out to see the sun and brought her back because i couldn't risked it. Also, she's hurt whenever i carry her.. I realised she doesn't poo but she still eats the food i gave. Even though she's confined in a room, there's still a shelf for her to jump on. I know staying indoors means eliminating the risks of contacting with other cats but i can't control her not to jump on the shelves.. Her shoulder is injured and i know i should stop her from trying to use her shoulder too much but i can't. Any tips and solutions? During the day time we are with her indoors and she sleeps well on the pillow. But at night she's all alone.

Libby.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She could be constipated from the pain meds. Did the vet give you any pain meds for her? Lecithin granules are great for resolving constipation. I started giving it to my cats for hairballs as I now have 3 long-haired cats and one medium-haired cat and we were dealing with furballs on a regular basis. I discovered online that lecithin is great for hairballs and too much lecithin can soften the stools too much so now I know it's great for constipation.

The homeopathic remedy arnica is good for bruising. If you have a health food store near you pick up a vial of 30x arnica and dose her as often as you can. Its recommended every 30 minutes until pain is relieved. But you can also throw 3 pellets in her food twice a day and it will still help speed up the healing.

I don't think it's cruel keeping her safe indoors while she recuperates. I think its the opposite, actually. You're doing a good thing. You can cook her bone broth with lots of gelatin and that will nourish her during her convalescence.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

traveil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She could be constipated from the pain meds. Did the vet give you any pain meds for her? Lecithin granules are great for resolving constipation. I started giving it to my cats for hairballs as I now have 3 long-haired cats and one medium-haired cat and we were dealing with furballs on a regular basis. I discovered online that lecithin is great for hairballs and too much lecithin can soften the stools too much so now I know it's great for constipation.

The homeopathic remedy arnica is good for bruising. If you have a health food store near you pick up a vial of 30x arnica and dose her as often as you can. Its recommended every 30 minutes until pain is relieved. But you can also throw 3 pellets in her food twice a day and it will still help speed up the healing.

I don't think it's cruel keeping her safe indoors while she recuperates. I think its the opposite, actually. You're doing a good thing. You can cook her bone broth with lots of gelatin and that will nourish her during her convalescence.
Hi Libby, she is only given anti inflammatories 0.1ml a day. I do think she is stressed up from all the locking her in a room because whenever i come back the next day, she will be up on the window. She is afterall a stray cat that has been out 7 years of her life. She does pee..but not poo.. Anyways thanks for your recommendations. I will try to give her what's best for her, i just want her fast recovery. I had consulted my vet regarding this and still have yet to get a response. I am constantly worried sick about the progress of her recovery as i cannot monitor her 24/7.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: You have such a good heart! She should be fine left alone during the night - her pain level will probably keep her from overusing her shoulder. If not for you, she would be alone, 24/7, and without shelter, food and veterinary care. :rock: