Feeling Bad :(

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So as some of you may know I have been feeding a stray who took it upon himself to adopt me...well in the past couple of weeks I have seen a Siamese looking feral coming around looking for food in the empty food bowls Thomas (the stray) leaves after dinner.

The first time I saw him I tried to calmly go to him but as soon as he heard me walking up to him he bolted...now I say HEARD because I am almost 95% sure he's blind or something is wrong. He looks extremely cross eyed and it seems that he can't really see motion but can hear sounds I assume. He is NOT fixed and looks so skinny and just miserable. He pees all over my porch and screen door (I don't get mad...I just clean it up every day:() and he hisses at my cats and Thomas too...I assume since Thomas IS neutered that maybe they don't like each other?

Well I have tried catching him but it is not working. Also its really strange because sometimes he runs off and there has been 2 times that I was able to super quietly walk up to him while talking in a calm sweet voice and I let him sniff my hands. He then gets freaked and runs off...He doesn't come around every day and theres no routine to his visits.

I guess I just feel really really bad for him and I live in Bakersfield, California....It's pretty much desert and it's about to start getting really hot...I do leave fresh water out all the time..

I don't know what to do guys but I think about it often and feel really bad for the poor guy

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried to borrow a trap from a rescue group?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you tried to borrow a trap from a rescue group?
Yes! and a whole week went by and nothing got trapped in it....he is super weary of everyone and everything and even when I have opened a can of food right before his nose..that one time he sniffed my hand he didn't touch the food or eat it and ran off....it's really weird... he looks like he would be super hungry but he won't even eat

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On of my colony cats is a Siamese and he looks cross-eyed too. I think he can still see OK though. Do you have a big carrier? Sometimes that will work when they won't go into a trap. You put some yummy fishy smelling food in it and slam the door when they go in.

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
On of my colony cats is a Siamese and he looks cross-eyed too. I think he can still see OK though. Do you have a big carrier? Sometimes that will work when they won't go into a trap. You put some yummy fishy smelling food in it and slam the door when they go in.
I can try that ..the problem is that he won't really come into my patio... just on the wall...I think he's scared to get cornered. and there's no where for me to put the trap other than the patio since I live in an apartment and right after my patio and all the way down the side of the apartment is parking spaces and always full of cars.
And I have tried waving my hands and even a toy about 1 foot away from him and he completely acted like he saw nothing at all.
Iv'e even tried Tuna and let him sniff it and he walked away..and fancy feast the garden feast ones too :( I don't know whats wrong with him

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
some rescue groups use a net. It sounds like that might do the trick in this case. I have never used one myself. You can probably find a youtube video on how they do it.

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
some rescue groups use a net. It sounds like that might do the trick in this case. I have never used one myself. You can probably find a youtube video on how they do it.
So once I catch him do you have any suggestions what I can do?
I really hate that he's outside, and of course I don't have an issue paying for him to get fixed, but I called like 4 rescues groups where I live and they are all full and don't accept, and I even called the SPCA and they said they do not take stray or feral cats in and that I could try the city shelter...but I mean I don't think I have to tell you what would happen to him there :( and unfortunately I live in a 650sqft apartment with 2 cats and one stray who is my indoor/outdoor cat

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well it sounds like he needs medical attention. Some rescues will help with that. Never take a feral cat to a shelter, unless you feel it is in such poor health it needs to be euthanized.

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well it sounds like he needs medical attention. Some rescues will help with that. Never take a feral cat to a shelter, unless you feel it is in such poor health it needs to be euthanized.
I definitely don't want to take him to the city shelter, I think tonight i'll email a few places and see if they can help with him medically possibly and then go from there!
It just breaks my heart that I am sure he was someone's cat and then to get thrown out like that he didn't do anything to deserve it

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It breaks my heart too, the way people treat them.
And then the burden always falls on the people who just can't stand to see these poor things out there miserable and it's all because others cannot take responsibility for themselves and their actions.
But I will get in contact with the rescue groups again and let them know about the medical and vision issues and see if they can help me

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What happened with your new cat? Did you get him trapped?

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So as a quick update I did see him yesterday...He finally let me get close to him but I had to bride him...I slathered tuna allllll over my hands and put the tuna in the palm on my hands and checked over him quickly while he ate....Seems he has a bit of fleas and has been scratching....till I am able to take him to a vet could I put some flea medicine on him?? I have some at home that doesn't have harsh chemicals...it has like lemongrass and stuff

Sentry Natural Defense Flea & Tick Squeeze-On for Cats & Kittens, 4 treatments

that's the flea stuff I have...can I treat him with it or would that not be a good idea?