feeding sick cat

canopener

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is about two months into chemotherapy for lymphoma and we've hit a rough patch. For the past week she hasn't been eating well, so on Friday the oncologist switched around her drugs and gave her some empiric antibiotics. At this point, she still has an excellent prognosis but I'm concerned about how she is doing over the short term. She is interested in food but only picks at it. She eats NutriCal enthusiastically and will usually get through an ounce or two of boiled chicken. I've also started dropper feeding her.  I suspect a lot of her reluctance to eat is secondary to nausea and when I speak with the oncologist on Monday I will discuss adding an anti-nausea med for her. I was just wondering if there were any other things I could try to encourage her to eat.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think you're on the right track with the anti-nausea med.  Maybe trying to warm up the food will help??

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Warming up the food sometimes works, although if she is nauseated, warming it makes it more "odorous", and that might turn her off it even more.  One never knows for sure.  Another thing that might help is using toppers.  If she has anything that she still will eat that you can put on top of her food, like favorite treats crumbled or crushed, or tuna water, or FortiFlora (two of my cats love this, one hates it), parmesan cheese from the green can, Bonito flakes. 

One of my cats has kidney disease and has an extremely poor appetite.  We give her an appetite stimulant ever 3 days like clockwork.  This helps somewhat.  Of course, since your little one is being treated for Lymphoma, there's always the issue of what drugs can be given with other drugs, but it's worth the discussion anyway.  I would ask about both an anti-emetic AND an appetite stimulant.  We use a transdermal gel for the appetite stimulant...mirtazapine.  It comes in pill or liquid too, but the gel is just one less stressor.

Best of luck with your furbaby.  Glad to hear she has a good prognosis

greencateyes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am sorry to hear of your fur baby's current health problem.  I am glad she is accepting NutriCal to supplement her caloric intake.  Have you tried feeding baby food?  Because of it's consistency, cats can easily eat it without much effort; it is also easily digested.  If you decide to try baby food, please look at the labels as some formulations contain garlic, which is toxic to cats .  Generally "first stage" baby foods like "Beech-Nut Classics"  Turkey & Turkey Broth or Chicken & Chicken Broth is garlic free in addition to having a mushy consistency .  I have found Beech-Nut is generally less expensive than Gerber's.  I hope her appetite comes back soon.

I do not know her current list of meds and supplements (if any);  have your spoken to your vet about adding something to build and strengthen her immune system?  There are many different types of immune building supplements; there are many that target tumors. etc. Many of these immune building supplements may also boost her appetite.  Because of your kitty's age and condition, please consult your vet before starting her on anything like this. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

canopener

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your replies. Her appetite is very up and down. Sunday she ate well--better than she had all week--but then this morning she ate nothing. This evening, she is back to being interested in food but giving up after a few bites. Needless to say, this is very stressful for me--she seems to be doing better food-wise, and then she isn't, and then she is...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

canopener

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just an update. Appetite stimulant and anti-nausea meds seemed to help. Unfortunately, late last week she took a bad turn and there was nothing more we could do. Likely a combination of the cancer and preexisting medical conditions. She'd had a positive prognosis and previously was doing well so this was rather a shock.  Just want to thank you again for your advice in caring for her and I wish I had better news.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear this

You have my sympathies

glittercat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We've just lost one of our boys to lymphoma - he passed today - so my deepest sympathies.