Feeding Raw to the Kittens!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

avalyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, Marta from Alnutrin very sweetly worked out how much I needed (4.4g NOW Beef liver powder to 1kg meat). She's been so helpful! I'm going to try that and then gradually sneak in li'l bits of liver to see if that works. 

Hmm, I'm going to try salmon oil and krill oil to see what works. Otherwise, I'll just resort to chia seeds - also packed with omega 3s and fibre to boot!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 Hmm, I'm going to try salmon oil and krill oil to see what works. Otherwise, I'll just resort to chia seeds - also packed with omega 3s and fibre to boot!
Cats can't get omega 3s from plant sources :(. It needs to be an animal source.

avalyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for that, Willowy! I didn't know that, especially because I know of folks whose pets seem to have benefitted from chia seeds (shinier coats, better elimination, etc.) Hmm. Maybe the benefits were from something other than the omegas then.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dogs will benefit from plant-based sources of omega 3s, but cats don't. The plant-based omega 3 is ALA. Cats lack the digestive enzyme necessary to convert it into the useable EPA and DHA. EPA and DHA are what's in krill and salmon oil. Dogs are able to convert ALA into EPA and DHA.

Maybe chia seeds have GLA? :dk: It's an omega-6 with anti-inflammatory properties like an omega 3, and it's beneficial to skin and coat. Cats are able to convert GLA into DGLA.

avalyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmmm... could well be that then. Sigh. Which brings me back to: I still need to find a palatable source of omega-3 for my cats. It strikes me as odd how all 7 of them would refuse the options I'd dished out for them previously. 

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm... could well be that then. Sigh. Which brings me back to: I still need to find a palatable source of omega-3 for my cats. It strikes me as odd how all 7 of them would refuse the options I'd dished out for them previously. 
I have two who don't like the krill oil. I just serve it with a dusting of something tasty they do like, and they lick it right up. I use Vet's-Best hairball relief, crushed to dust, for incentive. Only a pinch of dust is needed, they really love that Vet's-Best stuff!

I mean, I put the krill in their meal, but I don't mix it through the whole dish of food, they would reject the whole meal if I did that. I just leave it on top. If they reject the dish, I use the Vet's-Best right away. Usually they will eat around it, and just leave that portion, then I use the Vet's-Best for the last portion.

avalyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
... I put the krill in their meal, but I don't mix it through the whole dish of food, they would reject the whole meal if I did that. I just leave it on top. If they reject the dish, I use the Vet's-Best right away. Usually they will eat around it, and just leave that portion, then I use the Vet's-Best for the last portion.
Nice tip there, Otto! I've not heard of Vet's-Best, and am not sure if I can find it where I am. But I think I could sort out a treat or two to entice the kitties if they don't dig krill oil. (It didn't work for salmon and fish oils - think they smell too fishy for their liking or something.)