Feeding Pregnant Cat

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I don't think it's that. She's had a litter of kittens and survived this long. I think it's something else.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just talked to Kathy she gave the green light for all testing they recommended. They said her diaherra has slacked off and is eating very small amounts of a prescription food.

Could she have gotten it when she got out when they were six weeks old? That was 4 months ago. Just hoping for good results and an answer soon. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm glad she's getting tested, and hope they can get to the bottom of it soon. I really hope she is well enough to come back to you soon too!

Thanks for the update.

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I got some results. The vet said that her Leukemia test came back with faint amounts on one and negative on another. So they are going to retest in six months. In the mean time they said she will not be allowed around other cats. Also Sweet Pea and the others need to be tested. I am scared I really don't know what to do. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
louann jude louann jude

Actually, it sounds good! She essentially is testing negative at this point. The business about not being around other cats is just a precaution. The results of any kitten tested who is under 6 months old may produce a false result anyway.

In the meantime, how are they treating her symptoms, and is she better?

Have they tested for coccidia or giardia? Both are parasites which cause symptoms similar to those she has experienced. Coccidia is best treated with Ponazuril. Giardia is treated with metronidazole, which is Flagyl. I would suggest treating for giardia, based on her symptoms.

When can you get her back? She will surely do better at home with you. Poor Lil Bit.

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was supposed to have got her back tonight but had a gallbladder attack and ended up in the ER. Thankfully I get this thing out Friday. They said she is on a lot of medications and was going to start another for IBD. Hopefully I can get her back tomorrow. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I hope the medications are helping Lil Bit.

I'm sorry you suffered a gallbladder attack. Hope all goes well for your surgery Friday too.

Let us know how both you and Lil Bit are doing, and when she is back with you. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Just read this whole thread! How is Lil Bit doing? Did the other kittens get combo tested? Poor girl!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Please update when you can! I hope your surgery went well, and that Lil Bit is better too! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have not had an update yet on her. I will call Kathy sometime today and see if someone can go get her for me tomorrow. The problem will be how to get her meds in her until I recover from surgery. I may need someone from the rescue keep her for the next week or two until I heal up. I hurt trying to change my kids diapers. I can imagine what it will be like trying to wrestle a 10 pound cat. 

The kittens haven't been tested yet. I am afraid I only have Sweet Pea, Cleo, Smokey and Bandit are in new homes. The other two I have Holly and Sassy is supposed to be fixed next week and will be tested then. Holly is only 3-4 months old and is trying to get out now. So we are going to try to get her fixed before heats start. As little as she is a pregnancy will kill her. She is only the size of a two month kitten. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I know it's hard to care for everyone when you are that sore from surgery. It should get easier each day. I agree that Lil Bit may need a foster who can get her meds into her until they are finished and you feel better. I just hope that she's getting better. Poor thing needs a steady home!

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know and I really need you advise about this because it doesn't feel right to me. 

When I talked to the vet she said Lil Bit had a faint positive line for the Leukemia on their office test but it was negative on the lab one. The vet told me we were to treat her as she had it until a repeated test is done in six months. That means not being around other Cats. She also wants all of the kittens, Sweet Pea, Cleo, Smokey and Bandit brought in and tested. 

Here is the problem Kathy said that she doesn't believe Lil Bit has it because the second test showed negative. She said that it was ok for  Lil Bit to be allowed roam of the house and there was just no one that could take her in. She also doesn't want to test the other kittens because she said Lil Bit's test before pregnancy was negative. The kittens nursed until they went to be adopted at around 16 weeks. She got out and got infected when they were 6 weeks. Don't they have a chance of having it? My understanding it can pass through milk. 

I really don't want to ruffle any feathers because I don't have the money to get Holly and Sassy fixed without the rescue but legally and morally shouldn't the owners of the other's be notified. Shouldn't the rescue be obligated to pay for the testing? 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
louann jude louann jude

First of all, how is Lil Bit doing?

Second, it does not sound like she has feline leukemia. A lab test showed negative. There is no proof that she contracted anything at all when she got out.

Third, kittens under 6 months old do not test accurately due to the antibodies they have received from mother's milk. So a kitten tested right now would not show an accurate result, and in fact, many would show a false positive. So there is nothing to tell a new owner.

Any kittens born of a stray mom have the potential for any number of diseases. Most do not have any of them!

I agree with Kathy that Lil Bit should be able to socialize with other cats, and that the kittens do not need testing.

What concerns me most right now is her current health. What are they treating her for? I suspected the parasite Giardia before. The treatment for that is metronidazole, also known as flagyl.

I'll be relieved to hear how she is doing and what meds she is taking.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The SNAP tests frequently show false positives, they're notorious for it. That's why they do the lab test. So if the lab test showed negative that's what it is. I wouldn't worry about it.

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you both so much. I will call later and check on her. I was just having a hard time and now have pneumonia. The vet did say she was treating her with antibiotics and something for IBD. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh, I'm so sorry that you are ill with pneumonia. That's awful! I hope you can get some rest!

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I called to talk to the vet and checked on her. They said she still had soft stools but it wasn't water. They are also going to board her until I can take care of her by giving medicines. I really hate that because it is costly but the rescue has no one that can take her til I am better. I am waiting on a call from the vet to see what meds she is on and if they can be given in food. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's good her stools are firming up. I hope you can get her back soon. At least she's getting her meds.

How are you feeling?

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am getting better daily. I am getting to where I am putting more time between the pain meds which is great and my breathing is getting better. 

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you for asking.