Feeding Neko prepkg raw

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

silva_unt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hot (or very warm) water from the faucet but just a little bit to mix around the cold raw. The raw then feels just slightly warm to the touch. The dish I serve it on is just the flat ceramic dishes i feed her wet on.

edit: when i say hot, i can touch it, no steam

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear about Gael. Rest in peace, little guy.

As to why your kitty threw up, it could have been too hot, too cold, eating too fast, eating too much, swallowing pieces too large to be comfortably digested, too long before feedings (empty tummies get acidic) a whole host of things.

I'd try a smaller amount of meat cut into smaller pieces and see how she does.

Good luck and let us know!

AC

silva_unt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy

I'm sorry to hear about Gael. Rest in peace, little guy.

As to why your kitty threw up, it could have been too hot, too cold, eating too fast, eating too much, swallowing pieces too large to be comfortably digested, too long before feedings (empty tummies get acidic) a whole host of things.
Thank you. We tried again today and she threw up again!! This time i use very little, slightly warm water. She took to it right away. AC, this is NV prepkg raw medallions. I put one in the refrigerator yesterday around 6pm and fed it to her today, smashed up with some water, 6pm. Could freezer burn cause her to throw up too? My knob in the freezer doesn't work so it gets super frozen with frost buildup.
I decided to throw away the bag and wait to try again in the new place. Different brand and hopefully better freezer...

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by silva_unt

Thank you. We tried again today and she threw up again!! This time i use very little, slightly warm water. She took to it right away. AC, this is NV prepkg raw medallions. I put one in the refrigerator yesterday around 6pm and fed it to her today, smashed up with some water, 6pm. Could freezer burn cause her to throw up too? My knob in the freezer doesn't work so it gets super frozen with frost buildup.
I decided to throw away the bag and wait to try again in the new place. Different brand and hopefully better freezer...
Interesting thought. I haven't heard of anything like that before, nor can I imagine why freezer burn would cause an upset tummy. It's a puzzle.

I wonder if there's something off about the food itself? Anything commercially-produced has the risk of an ingredient quality and/or quantity issue. Hmmm, even if it's perfectly made per the SOP, there may be an issue with one of the ingredients, as there's certainly a lot of stuff in it:
Lamb, Ground Lamb Bone, Lamb Liver, Lamb Hearts, Lamb Kidney, Apples, Carrots, Butternut Squash, Ground Flaxseeds, Chicken Eggs, Montmorillonite Clay, Broccoli, Lettuce, Spinach, Kelp, Salmon Oil, Apple Cider Vinegar, Parsley, Honey, Blueberries, Alfalfa Sprouts, Grapefruit Seed Extract, Persimmons, Olive Oil, Duck Eggs, Pheasant Eggs, Quail Eggs, Inulin, Rosemary Extract, Sage, Clove, Mixed Tocopherols, Citric Acid
Have you tried a NV raw other than the lamb? I've not personally encountered any food intolerances, but I've read that not all cats can handle products from hooved animals (such as lamb, beef, pork, etc.).

silva_unt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We haven't tried another flavor. In her dry she currently eats NV Prairie which has all the same ingredients; she's even on the Priairie Lamb now. While we were trying earlier (early august) she would eat some with no proplems. Same bag, almost 1month later, and its not sitting well with her. I originally wanted rabbit for her so we'll see what we find when we move.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
the hooved animal idea is a very old one ... but it does hold food for thought when one researchs oriental medicine... lamb is hot ( can cause inflamation) , beef and pork are neutral to warming( chicken is warming and most cats handle it fine)... most fish is cooling to neutral , rabbit is cooling

You may have a package that has gone thru one to many freeze thaw cycles

silva_unt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

You may have a package that has gone thru one to many freeze thaw cycles
Which is very possible with my freezer
Glad I threw it away; put things on hold for now.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Which is very possible with my freezer
Glad I threw it away; put things on hold for now.
Let us know when you're ready to try again - we'll be your own personal cheerleaders!

kody's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is a very good feeding calculator:

http://natureslogic.com/feeding/cat.htm

I just read through this thread very quickly, but for what it is worth my Kody did not care for the Nature's Variety medallions at all. He will only eat the pate in the canned foods also. I think the NV was just too dry for him--he did not care for the texture. Same was true for all the other prepared raws I tried except for the RadCat. He loves the chicken RadCat and will occassionly eat the Lamb, but the Lamb is so fatty, I don't mind that he doesn't care for it so much....

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kody's Mom

This is a very good feeding calculator:

http://natureslogic.com/feeding/cat.htm

I just read through this thread very quickly, but for what it is worth my Kody did not care for the Nature's Variety medallions at all. He will only eat the pate in the canned foods also. I think the NV was just too dry for him--he did not care for the texture. Same was true for all the other prepared raws I tried except for the RadCat. He loves the chicken RadCat and will occassionly eat the Lamb, but the Lamb is so fatty, I don't mind that he doesn't care for it so much....
Great calculator... I can also say mine ate the Rad cat well
.. unfortunately here 8 oz is like 10 $

kody's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That is unbelievable!! I pay $4.50 for 8 oz. cartons. They are $5.00 each, but they give me a 10% discount for buying 12 at a time.

The 16 oz. cartons would run less, but less convenient for me-Kody eats 4 oz. of the raw a day and it is easier to just cut the 8 oz. down the center.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kody's Mom

That is unbelievable!! I pay $4.50 for 8 oz. cartons. They are $5.00 each, but they give me a 10% discount for buying 12 at a time.

The 16 oz. cartons would run less, but less convenient for me-Kody eats 4 oz. of the raw a day and it is easier to just cut the 8 oz. down the center.
I have yet to see 16 oz locally ... only the 2 oz trial and 8 oz

silva_unt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the input everyone! Yeah the NV medallions are too dry or sticky. Neko will enjoy it for a little while then gets fed up with how it sticks to her teeth
We were so close though!! At least I know she'll try it. RadCat will be something we try too since it will be near our new place.

My future plan is a rotation diet
Kibble (sml sml amount) when she wakes me up at 3/4am. Which consists of biting my shoulder until i get up and feed her... then i go plop back in bed
Raw for lunch and Raw or Wet for dinner
We'll see
I'll be back

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Thanks for the input everyone! Yeah the NV medallions are too dry or sticky. Neko will enjoy it for a little while then gets fed up with how it sticks to her teeth
We were so close though!! At least I know she'll try it. RadCat will be something we try too since it will be near our new place.

My future plan is a rotation diet
Kibble (sml sml amount) when she wakes me up at 3/4am. Which consists of biting my shoulder until i get up and feed her... then i go plop back in bed
Raw for lunch and Raw or Wet for dinner
We'll see
I'll be back
the rotational diet works well for many of us

kody's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I went to the store this morning to get Kody some food and the owner showed me a new type of raw he had just started to carry--Vital Essentials.

Have any of you heard of it--I've looked at the website now and the ingredients look good. It doesn't have any of the fruits and veggies like the Nature's Variety has in it. I was concerned because the Frozen Niblets say "Frozen Niblets Chicken Entree for Dogs, even though the picture on it is both a dog and a cat. I called the company and they said it is fine for both--just hadn't been "taste-tested" yet for cats.

The company just sent all the stores that carry it a TRY IT FREE rebate coupon...so I (I mean Kody) is going to try it. I don't have a great deal of hope he will like it--we have tried just about all the raws out there and the only one he will eat is the RadCat, but for free we will give it a try!

If a store in your area carries it--there is a store locator on their website--you might want to give it a try while it is free.

silva_unt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It WILL be carried at the store i shop at
Let us know how Kody likes it!!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
the ingredient s make me happy... kelp for those with no allergy to it is a wonderful way to provide many minerals and vitamins.. Please do keep us in the loop as to how Cody likes it, for me it would be several hour drive currently

kody's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am lucky, there are two of the "natural" pet stores very, very close. The one I usually go to for the RadCat and Taste of the Wild is probably just 1 1/2miles from my house.

The owners of both of the stores are so nice, I feel guilty whichever one I happen to go to. But, the closest one hasn't had any of the new Taste of the Wild cans in, so I stopped by this other one and the guy started telling me he could get the RadCat for me there also. Then he handed me this new Vital to try.... I will let you know if Kody likes it or not.

If anyone was near me, I have a 3 lb. bag of the NV raw rabbit medallions that the closest store gave me last month to try out....I was telling the lady that I wondered if Kody would like the rabbit and wished they had a 1 lb. bag to try out.....She insisted on giving me a 3 lb. to test it out--She said that Nature's Variety had given them several bags gratis--It was not too long after that recall on the NV chicken variety and I think they were trying to foster up some support among their dealers. Anyway, Kody ate about 1/2 of one medallion and that was it!